People who like cruises aren't like Disney people...are we?

tripman

but it has been 3 1/2 years since I was there last, and I'd like to go again, but it is still a bit too early, not enough has changed yet. But there are some people who go there for a week or so a couple times per year, I just don't get it. I just think that if they tried something else, they might realize there is more out there.
I have been to DL in Anaheim 4 times in the last 6 years, to me its the same asgoing on a cruise, just can't get enough of crusing or DL

I'm the one with the friends who go to DL every year and I just wanted to clarify that what I find weird is that they don't do any OTHER type of vacation! We like to cruise every year, but we also throw in a few little land trips too. And we like trying new places, exploring and seeing what's there. Of course, that is what is so appealing about cruising.....waking up in a different place every day!

We have visited WDW many times as a family and have the most wonderful memories. We are looking forward to our 5th cruise February 19th on the Mariner of the Seas and are doing a pre-cruise night in Disney. It never gets old! Cruising and Walt Disney World = happy times :-)

Big trouble for me!

We have a timeshare in Orlando and I usually try to have a cruise either before or after our weeks there! (but I usually do Universal/SeaWorld/Busch instead of Disney)

-Monte

We have a timeshare, there also, but we do not go every year ( our son usues it once in awhile) And we alternate between all of the parks. And I am a roller coaster NUT!:D

Disney people not like us? I am both - cruise every year and try to hit Disney every year too. Am acutally getting more bored with cruising than Disney - or maybe its just Caribbean burn out. Anyway - if you really enjoy something, then its hard to get enough, much less too much, no matter what it is.

If you really enjoy it...do it.

It is hard to get enough of something if you love it that much.

I have been to Disney in CA and FL but haven't been back in 20 years. I would love to go again...one of these days.

We spend 6-8 weeks a year (for the last 12 years) on St John in the Virgin Islands in additon to other trips and people always ask us if we get bored doing the same trip...NO..we love it that much and never get bored..and there isn't a whole lot to do in St. John!!!!

You're speaking to a disney and Cruise addict as well here, And I hope I will be going to Disney Paris soon!:o

Now, We are much like you Cruise addicts, but it's Dis's atmosphere. Their Cruises are good, just too expensive for us though. I don't know which kind of vacation is better, it's hard to say... but you can get the best of both world's with the land and sea package of Disney! :)

Our 18-year old DD was accepted into the International College Summer Program at WDW (in Operations) and hard as it will be to let her out of my sight for 2.5 months, it's a darn good excuse to visit her and the parks!

Our DS did the College Program in 2003 for 6 months and had a BLAST!! Hope your DD has the same experience. Our DS drove the tram in the parking lot of the MK and LOVED it! Of course we had to go "visit" him half-way thru!! :D

DH & I love Disney World too!

I envy you all across the pond. It is relatively easy/cheap for you to fly down to Florida, or jump a cruise ship. Over here in the UK it costs us a fortune wherever we want to go.

It's definitely easier/cheaper for some of us than others.... ;) We're actually about as far away from Florida as you are! I know what you mean though, I keep telling DH that we need to move closer to a port (other than Seward :rolleyes: )...

OK you found me. I am the biggest Disney nut of all time. We bought into Disney's timeshare when it first opened in 1991, go every year, sometimes more than once a year, and also love to cruise. Why can't you do both? Disney, for us, is an ever-changing place and for us it's our "second home". I think people probably have some sort of picture in their mind of "Disney" people and the type of vacations that they take, but it's not about riding the same rides over and over, it's about spending time in a place that you truly love. We also take other types of vacations. I never thought I would enjoy cruising, but we love it. I am thankful that we can take several vacations during the year and experience many different things. For us, that's what life is about.

OK you found me. I am the biggest Disney nut of all time. We bought into Disney's timeshare when it first opened in 1991, go every year, sometimes more than once a year, and also love to cruise. Why can't you do both? Disney, for us, is an ever-changing place and for us it's our "second home". I think people probably have some sort of picture in their mind of "Disney" people and the type of vacations that they take, but it's not about riding the same rides over and over, it's about spending time in a place that you truly love. We also take other types of vacations. I never thought I would enjoy cruising, but we love it. I am thankful that we can take several vacations during the year and experience many different things. For us, that's what life is about.

Dreamfinders,

I agree. we also own at disney in Old Key West. Normally go twice a year. This will be my 5th cruise. Next one is Mariner on 3-12. Stopping at disney on the way back. we love Disney and cruising. We, too, are thankful that we can enjoy both.

A quick answer to the OP is a resounding Y E S !! CC'ers are just like Disney people...I know because I am happy to say that I am one! I am addicted to cruising like I am addicted to going to Disneyland and DisneyWorld. We drive 6 hours to Disneyland 3 times a year and always try to stay at the wonderful Grand Californian Hotel. We love the resort atmosphere of all Disney properties as we like the resort feel of cruising. It is very similiar in that you are sharing in a very real passion with those around you whether you are at Disney or cruising. I belong to a Disney website that has very active discussion boards and these boards are just like CC. Lots of enthusiasm, tips, experiences, rumours, and info to share with like minded folks. We are never bored going to Disney because they do change things up a bit every year. It is not just the theme parks that you are experiencing it is the whole Disney feeling...it is hard to describe but you either "feel" it or you don't. We do Disney, we cruise and we do other land based vacations..we just came back from 6 days in Hawaii. So we are not single-minded in our vacations at all. I am happy to know that there are others on CC that are "Disney" people because both groups are people who enjoy and appreciate life and the fun that it can offer if you have the right attitude and others to share it with. Just look at my signature...the boat's smoke stack is giving off little Mickeys! Marilyn ;)

As a retired Disney employee, I can tell you that the affection/addiction for cruising and Disney are one in the same. We, too, have a DVC timeshare (Disney Vacation Club) and love it. We go often to WDW and Disneyland and we are also fortunate to be able to cruise as well. We love the Disney Cruise Line. Their ships are beautiful! Their private island is magnificent!:D

For years, my husband and I did Disneyland. Staying for a week, having fun, watching people, parades and riding the rides. We even had our honeymoon at Disney.

Then,...

I thought, why don't we try a cruise? It could be fun, different, exciting... all I can say is that I haven't thought about doing Disney again for a week. I might do it for the weekend, but the crowds, lines, and high prices are doing me in. I think that our cruise will be entertaining and relaxing. (Relaxing is not a word that one uses in Disneyland). We can't wait for the cruise to start.... sigh.

Well, when I had planned to move to Atlanta from Maine back in 1994, a good friend (who is now my Life partner/Husband) said, well we were planning this trip to Disney World the month after you get down here...wanna go? Did he even need to ask??? LOL!

I had been to Disney only twice before....the Obligatgory Grandchild visting Grandparents and "we HAVE to go to WDW for the day trip" and the one week, total Disney Immersion I did when I had been working my full time job for awhile and wanted a fun trip

Anyway, Kelly and I have been together now over 11 years and have made countless trips to Disney. The fact we only live a 6hr car drive makes things easier. One year we took 5 trips down and spent just over 4 weeks there all told, was a great year.

Well, I had always thought about going on a cruise...my MIL (Kelly's mom), took the entire family on the Carnival Triumph for a 1 week Eastern Carib. Neededless to say i was hooked after the first day. When we got married, the only thing that came up for a Honeymoon Trip, was a Cruise. So we sailed on the Caribbean Princess in her inaugural year (august 2004) and had a wonderful time.

We are going on the MotS in less then 2 weeks, it's over Valentine's Day and will be so much fun. It will be our first trip on RCCL/Voyager type ship and also my first Western Carib trip. Soooo looking forward to it.

We ARE of course talking about a Disney trip later this summer or mid-fall. Once Disney and Cruising is in your blood, really hard to give up one for the other. :)

Mike

:D :eek: :D

Hi my name is Jeff and i have a problem. My house is decorated with disneyana stuff and photos of cruise ships ,and fine art from cruiseships.

We try to do a cruise every year .At least one trip to WDW .I like the cruising for the relaxation aspect. I love Disney for the happiness it makes me feel.(i've been going since 72) so it has a lot of special memories for me.

What i don't understand is the high price of all these custom bikes out here. The funny thing is zip-a-dee-do-da is my ring tone on my cell and every time it goes off in public people turn and smile.;) must be somthing to it.

Seeeuuuu

Jeff

I can't get enough of either cruising or Disney:p Of course, owning a Disney-focused web site, we HAVE to review every resort refurbishment, menu change, and new attraction (selfless folks that we are:o ) so I've created some really good reasons for myself to make multiple trips to Disney each year LOL

Cruising is a whole 'nother kind of adventure. My husband, Alan, and I love the ease cruising offers as we explore different parts of the world. We've traveled a variety of cruiselines (It's like checking out the different resorts:p ), and we are about to sample our first RCCL cruise in 15 days:D

In March, we'll go to Disney World for a few days, too, to celebrate my birthday. Living in sunny, central Florida is a BIG perk for both cruising and Disney, n'est-ce pas?;)

I love both! We just got back from Disney last week and tomorrow we are cruising. I think I know what you mean though. Some people only go to Disney for vacation and have never tried anything else. I love the whole Disney atmosphere. To me, its just something magical. I wouldnt want to give up my cruising though. This will be our 21st over the past twenty years and we love the relaxation of being on the ocean.

Just wanted to say "Hi Ahnalira". I recognize your name from DIS. Good to see you on Cruise Critics. I discovered Disney in 1988 and I discovered cruising in 2004. I have been on 5 cruises since then with 3 more ahead of me so far. I got to catch up to my Disney numbers, but I also need to go to WDW to ride Expedition Everest now! I need more vacation time!! Marilyn:D

Love Disney - Love Cruising They are both about reconnecting with your loved ones that you spend too little time with when you are at home. They are both about quality, high standards, service, and employees who never stop smiling. They are both about spending money! I've worked for Disney and I've worked for a cruise line...They are very similar!

People get excited about what makes them happy. I'm not going to read through all the responses, so forgive me if I'm repeating what others have already said. I'm neither a Disney addict nor a cruise addict. I'm a "get away from WI winters" addict. :cool: Most recently, had a 5 night western caribbean cruise. Visited Cozumel and Grand Cayman. The ship is the destination, because those ports were the same as last cruise and the stingrays haven't changed habits, and unfortunately nature has taken a toll on snorkeling quality. I would have done a jeep or ATV tour in Cozumel but even those websites state that the tour may not be as described due to Wilma, so we saved the excursion money for another year and spent it shopping this year. I'd really like to do southern Caribbean, and Eastern will intrigue me more than another Western, but other than the Southern where you're in port almost every day for much of the day, the ship is still most important.

If I were to take a 5 night Disney vacation, as I did with the cruise, and spent only 2 days at the parks, as the cruise spends LESS than a day in port (only 5 hours in GC after you take out tender time), there is no way we'd see 1/2 the sites in the parks alone, much less try all the restaurants people rave about, watch the wonderful parades that DO change every couple yrs (Epcot's musical accompaniment alone is worth seeing the parade...at least when I was last there 3 yrs ago), or see many of the dozen or so broadway quality shows. Unlike the Enchantment, the food on Grandeur last week was nothing to write home about (a couple pretty bad nights and a couple pretty good nights, morning buffets typically cold except made to order omelets) and every time I go to the local Applebees I get a different waitstaff, for whomever gave that as an argument for cruising being a new experience each time.

Orlando has many high quality dinner shows including Cirque de Soleil and even quality children's programs for parents who want some time alone. Dollar for dollar, a cheap cabin on a cruise will probably be less than a cheap room at Disney, after park tickets and food are paid for, but that cheap room will be double or triple the size and the choice of restaurants can't be numbered in terms of variety. Cruise service typically has an edge over regular hotels/condos/restaurants, but that's often luck of the draw also, and I'm not at a point of being able/willing to pay for a wonderful place like Animal Kingdom's resort with giraffes walking past the balcony.

On our last Disney vacation (first as adults and with kids) we spent 7 nights in a 2 BR condo (could never spend a week in a plain hotel room again w/ kids) and thought the kids would have been just as happy (maybe moreso) with less than the 4 days spent at the parks. We still didn't see all the shows or have time to go on all the rides. We hope to go back next year, and while I know the kids would enjoy the novelty of a cruise, I imagine they'd choose Disney World, or WI Dells in summer, for a repeat vacation.

Would I go to Disney without my kids or later grandchildren? Not likely. Neither am I likely to go on a cruise every time we vacation w/out the kids ( which happens more often than with). All inclusive resorts are much the same in terms of service, amenities, entertainment, and usually more dining options, with just as many "excursions" available, just limited to one island per trip. I think a cruise is a good way to find out where we might like to spend a whole week another time.:cool:

I didn't mean for this to turn out so long, but really do think you should be careful of what meaningless things you're going to shake your head about other people's desires. Nobody's forcing you to go to Disney, don't tell them they're foolish for doing such and not trying cruising. Stepping off the unintended podium :o , I like variety and will continue to do both along w/ standard land vacations in and out of the States, as finances allow. Hopefully when college educations are done with - a LONG ways away- we will have the time and means to vacation more frequently and justify the higher priced resorts/ships/etc. We're fortunate to be able to do what we do now both financially, and in having grandparents to watch the kids when they get to stay home without us. ;)

We love getting out of the Wisconsin winters too! Nothing makes us happier though than to hear that it snowed 6 incges the day after we leave for our vacation;) The Wisconsin winter also gives us an excuse to leave for our cruise a day early...just to make sure we don't get snowed in. An extra night away in a hotel! Can't beat that.:D

Honestly, you've got to admit....we've been pretty lucky this year.

Archived