Access to shops & beaches

PammyJeanB

Greetings!

Newbie cruiser here and had a few questions about Cozumel. As I've never been, I can only read about Cozumel for the moment.....until 04/02/06!:D

I've read conflicting stories about shopping there. First is the advise of "don't go outside the shops designated "safe" by the ships. Then I'm reading about the place and they advise me that some of the best shops are located about a block or 1 1/2 blocks back. Is this safe to do?

Also, although I've heard that you can book better and sometimes cheaper excursions yourself, me being so new and very naive about all of this - should I stick to the ship excursions? I'd like to go to Paradise Island.

Appreciate any advise from those who are "in the know"

Pam

Greetings!

Newbie cruiser here and had a few questions about Cozumel. As I've never been, I can only read about Cozumel for the moment.....until 04/02/06!:D

I've read conflicting stories about shopping there. First is the advise of "don't go outside the shops designated "safe" by the ships. Then I'm reading about the place and they advise me that some of the best shops are located about a block or 1 1/2 blocks back. Is this safe to do?

Also, although I've heard that you can book better and sometimes cheaper excursions yourself, me being so new and very naive about all of this - should I stick to the ship excursions? I'd like to go to Paradise Island.

Appreciate any advise from those who are "in the know"

Pam

After 17 years of vacationing in Cozumel, by myself and with elderly parents, family and just my DH, I can assure you that Cozumel is completely safe ...As with anywhere these days, use basic commonsense about how you handle money and you will be fine! The best shopping has always been off the Main streets, going back several blocks...

...........I can tell you from personal experience that many of the shops

will sell items at higher prices to "cruisers" knowing you don't have as much time to comparison shop and that you won't be back to complain the next day...

You can check out these websites to book your own excursions...I believe "Passion Island" is only available through the cruise ships booking but that may have changed. Paradise Beach club is very popular and has many fans

www.cozumelinsider.com

www.cozumelmycozumel.com

www.travelnotes.com

Thanks for the great info! We'll be sailing on the Star Princess and they are offering that excursion. By its description, it looks like paradise! My only concern is that its a 5.5 hrs excursion and I don't want to miss out on the shopping in Cozumel.

I had a sneaking suspicion that it was safe to travel around the shops further back.......I've also read that the ships receive a percentage and so if that's true-it makes sense to direct as many as possible to those areas.

I see you've cruised with Princess......what was your opinon?

Pam

I've read conflicting stories about shopping there. First is the advise of "don't go outside the shops designated "safe" by the ships.
That is a huge load of crap propagated by the cruiselines to steer you towards the large chain "duty free" shops that pay the cruise lines.

Then I'm reading about the place and they advise me that some of the best shops are located about a block or 1 1/2 blocks back. Is this safe to do?
Yes, it is very safe, even after dark.

If you want to go to Paradise Island, then you'll have to go with the ship's excursion. It is a cruise ship exclusive tour. For the most part, especially on Cozumel, you can do most of the excursions the ship offers on your own for less money. The "beach break" excursions are typically a bad value for people who don't drink a lot or want to avoid crowds.

Archived