Has San Juan Airport Improved

Did you have a direct flight or a connecting flight?

This is one reason that we put a few of everyone's outfits into each suitcase. If one gets lost, we all still have clothes to wear.

Yeah, we learned a lesson. We'll mix it up a bit next time. Fortunately we flew in a day early. We did have a connection in FLL where 1 bag got lost on the way down. Second bag made it to San Juan but the tag got ripped off. Had personal id outside and printed itinerary inside. They never opened the bag at all, my original tie wraps were still on it when I got it back 20+ days later. On the way back the 3 bags got left on one of the luggage carts. That was the story I was told anyway.

:(

I have just returned from a 20hour trip starting in San Juan (via NewYork JFK to Amsterdam) and all went well. The staff was help full and the airport (it was a monday yesterday) was reasonable quite. The security check wasn't much of a hassle. Flight left on time (at first it looked like it was going to be 10 minutes early but they changed the time on the board a bit later).

I would travel out of San Juan in a heartbeat (except for the long travel time maybe).

• 2 months later...

We had the same experience last May, got off the ship (RC AOS) and there was a US Air Employee at a desk after we cleared customs taking baggage at the pier. We checked in with her and went on our way to the airport, total time 5 min.

My brother flies St Thomas to San Juan to US almost every month. Apparently it has not improved since my last bad experience with lost luggage a few years back. Specifically there is an issue with delays, long lines and lack of organization.

I personally would love to cruise out of San Juan again just to take advantage of the Southern Caribbean itineries but my DH refused to fly out of or into SJU again.

We went through SJ airport in 2000. All chairs were taken, so we sat in the floor for several hours. It was a mad house. I considered that to be the worst airport experience ever-- until last year (2005)-- at the Fort Lauderdale airport. I don't know how many ships docked when ours did, but I know a mess when I'm in the middle of one. Double lined around the outside of the Delta terminal. Inside, a total fiasco. Employees pulling their hair out. Luggage waiting to be screened, piled out into the walk-ways. We have been on 14 cruises, and this experience took the cake! Next time we need to leave from Ft. Lauderdale, we'll take the extra time and drive. If we have to fly in there again, we'll stay home.

I think Ft Lauderdale is as bad if not worse.. I fly several times a year to SJU and find it comfortable and accomodating..

your pal

FLL is definately worse. Though I like thier rental car shuttle system. I have had nothing but good stops in SJU.

Harry

Archived