Internet Speed on the Sirena

1985rz1

Here is a set of measurements of the internet speeds I made on the Sirena on the December 7-14, 2019 Coastal Cruise in Stateroom 8055:

WiFi connectivity (tablet to router) was reasonably stable at 115 Mbs (WiFi Analyzer app).

Connection from the ship's server to a SpeedOf.me server on the Internet was quite variable:  Download speeds ranged from 0.2 to 0.7 Mbs;  Upload speeds ranged from 0.4 to 1.5 Mbs.  Latency hovered around 2 seconds!!!! Internet speeds included the WiFi link, but that was so fast compared to the internet speed it has no impact. 

This was only one day's measurements and only from one stateroom, so YMMV.

3 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Here is a set of measurements of the internet speeds I made on the Sirena on the December 7-14, 2019 Coastal Cruise in Stateroom 8055:

WiFi connectivity (tablet to router) was reasonably stable at 115 Mbs (WiFi Analyzer app).

Connection from the ship's server to a SpeedOf.me server on the Internet was quite variable:  Download speeds ranged from 0.2 to 0.7 Mbs;  Upload speeds ranged from 0.4 to 1.5 Mbs.  Latency hovered around 2 seconds!!!! Internet speeds included the WiFi link, but that was so fast compared to the internet speed it has no impact. 

I should have added that our home WiFi connection speed is typically 300 to 400 Mbs, when all 6 to 8 of our devices are connected, and our internet provider more or less routinely supplies us with 100 Mbs internet connectivity, to put the measurements in context.

12 hours ago, SophieM said:

I am curious if you used a VPN. When we were on the Marina in September, we could never get ours to connect. The internet guy on board was no help. 

Thanks!

No, we didn't try our VPN.  We weren't looking at anything sensitive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2019 at 6:42 PM, 1985rz1 said:

Was the WiFi slow on board? Did you have the upgraded package? Going in January and I do a fair amount of email and voip calls. Thanks!

41 minutes ago, BigIslandersFan said:

Was the WiFi slow on board? Did you have the upgraded package? Going in January and I do a fair amount of email and voip calls. Thanks!

The internet connection was quite slow.  It is sufficient for email and simple web surfing, but I don't know if the speed is OK for VOIP calls.  I didn't try that.

I did not have the upgraded package, but the upgraded package does not increase your speed or bandwidth.  All the upgraded package does is open the ports that allow streaming services, but I suspect there would be lots of buffering for them.