3-1/2 y.o. -- I need some advice please

Kuyaba

We’re about to book the Victory for next spring break My nephew is quite adorable but rambunctious who will be 3-1/2 when we cruise. Right now, I don’t think that we’re going to take him to restaurants again for a while because he won’t sit still for very long. Hopefully he’ll be better next year, but I wondering if you have any ideas to help us in the dining room during our cruise. Also, are there any nights that Camp Carnival has a kid’s dinner? My 16 yo daughter will probably take him to dinner for pizza or something at least one night, but we would like a few unstressful meals if you know what I mean. Our other alternative is for him to stay home with his grandmother. But, my daughter and I don’t get to see him often and would very disappointed if he didn’t come and this is our family cruise. Any other advice you'd like to share regarding cruising with a little toddler would be welcome as well.

Two words: Childrens Nyquil

Don't wait for them to get sick to use it. icon_razz.gif

In all seriousity, Camp Carnival has a kids dinner on Formal Night, so the parents can have a relaxing, stress-free meal.

If the 16 y.o. is willing, perhaps she can take him to the Lido buffet on some other nights as well, so that you may enjoy the dining room.

Perhaps he will surprise you over the next year and this will all be a non-issue.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

My son was about 3.5 when we went on our first crusie last year. He spent very little time at camp without us (but that was him, most of the kids his age loved it), and was pretty good at dinner.

Most days he had a snack an hour or so before dinner so he wasn't cranky and hungry, and to be honest, I think by dinnertime he was just SO wiped out from his busy day that he didn't have the energy to act out or even be overly rambunctious. Twice he fell asleep AT dinner.

Give it a try, he'll have such a blast on the rest of the ship. Try dinner once, and try to let him know what is expected of him (I know, I know). If it is too stressful I'm sure you can figure something out between the camp dinners on formal nights, your 16yo, and even if other adults are willing to give up dinner one night to spend with him. Maybe a babysitting exchange at dinnertime if there are other relatives with small kids?

Edit to add...we had a table right near the door, a walk out of the dining room or a trip to the bathroom can be a welcome break for a little guy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Too many days since the Legend (10/03)

Looking forward to Victory...6/04!!!

There is a world of difference between 2.5 and 3.5, in my experience. Benjamin did pretty well at dinner on the cruise at age 2. By age 2.5, he didn't want to sit still for too long, so we had to be pretty creative to keep him entertained the entire time.

At 3.5, he was great. I took along a couple of Little People figures, a few small cars/trains, and a new Thomas the Tank Engine book with magnets that could be used to make different scenes. He played with those and the Carnival coloring book and crayons supplied by the waiter throughout dinner each night.

A month or two before the cruise, maybe they can start taking him to restaurants every week or so for some "practice." I'd be willing to bet that his behavior will be completely different by then.

Hope you have a great cruise!!!!!

10th Anniversary Cruise -- Paradise, March 2004

Two Little Sailors: Victoria's First and Benjamin's Fourth cruise -- Carnival Victory, October 2003

Benjamin Sails to Bermuda-- Carnival Triumph, May 2002

Benjamin's Birthday Cruise -- Carnival Destiny, Jan. 2002

Benjamin's First Cruise -- Carnival Victory 2000

Paradise 3/04 - Exotic W. Caribbean

Carnival Victory 10/03 - Bahamas

Carnival Triumph 5/02 - Bermuda

Carnival Destiny 1/02 - S. Caribbean

Carnival Victory 10/00 - Nassau

Inspiration 7/99 - S. Caribbean

Tropicale 1/99 - W. Caribbean

Carnival Destiny 7/97 - W. Caribbean

Fantasy 4/96 - Bahamas

Fantasy 7/94 - Bahamas

We took then our almost three year old on a 7 day and she loved it! She went to camp carnival - but not a ton and went on every island with us. During dinner we had another family with a little boy - our daughter fell in love with him - however his parents could not keep him out from under the table! Well thank goodness our little one had no desire to follow him and she was very good for us and I have to admit I was surprised by this sometimes - because with little ones you just never know!

But you might be surprised - there is so much to see in the dining room - the lights - the other passengers, all the hustle and then the after dinner entertainment (this did scare my daughter) - but she did not want to leave! I have not heard any other little ones getting upset in the dining room - but then again I may be so used to it by now maybe I am tuning out unless it is my own icon_razz.gif

Carnival

Fantasy 11/91, Ecstasy 1/98, Fascination 11/99, Paradise 2/00, Imagination 4/02, Ecstasy 5/03, Paradise 10/03

Royal Caribbean

Sovereign of the Seas 4/04

Thanks for relating your experiences, ideas and encouragement. Hopefully he’ll calm down some by then. And it’ll be easier to communicate with him too. And just now got good news that his grandmother is coming with us too. First of all, that’s great because I really like her and secondly that’ll be more people to take turns amusing him.

Mine was...tada..3 1/2 on ours last year..

The cruise was his incentive for being PT.

anyway,mine is a figiter.But he had his 3 cousins,2,5 & 16,and they were all really good.

My biggest problem was we had early seating,and he seemed to be crashing during dinner..We are going for late seating this year.

There is so much going on,and we were so fortunate to have a beautiful table right by a huge window.and the waiters were wonderful with him.

I just think,(at least on the RCI we were on last year) that the kids club times were nuts.Early seating was 615,but the club did not open until 7!!!!!

RCI-Rhapsody- 2003

RCI-Rhapsody- 2004

until the return to the Rhapsody of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

netdiver.gif

Our youngest son was 5 when we took him on his first cruise. We had late seating for dinner, so we took him to the buffet or Pizzeria for his dinner BEFORE our dinner time. We then dropped him off at Camp Carnival (which he LOVED and couldn't get enough of) while we enjoyed a nice relaxing dinner in the dining room. It worked out perfectly for all of us.

Beth

~~~~~~~~~~~

Countdown to Glory

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Emerald Seas 6/86

Emerald Seas 11/87

S.S. Royale 10/88

Celebration 6/97

Grandeur of the Seas 6/98

Sensation 6/99

Carnival Triumph 6/00

Carnival Triumph 11/17/01

Enchantment of the Seas 10/27/02

Carnival Victory 5/25/03

Carnival Glory 5/22/04

Pack a small dinner-time activity bag (crayons, coloring books, picture books, video games, whatever he's into) for him to take to fill the down time in between courses or when he's finished eating and the adults are still lingering. Works like a charm for our littlest ones.

If he just doesn't enjoy the dining room experience (making it impossible for you and the other diners to do so either) then I think the buffet plan with your 16yr old is a good alternative. Another consideration would be to allow them to order room service and wind down while watching a little in-room tv. Our kids did this one night when they were just too tired for a prolonged meal.

I believe I remember seeing a press release in the last several months that Camp Carnival now offers a dining option for kids to eat in Camp Carnival not just on formal night but on all but the first and last nights of the cruise. Haven't cruised Carnival since seeing this, though, so I can't verify. Plan on cruising Carnival this summer, so I'll address this in my review on return. This would be an excellent option at least a couple of nights so that your 16yr old can enjoy the atmosphere of the dining room with you.

soccermommie

What times are Camp Carnival open? Soccermommie, looking forward to your review and finding out about other Camp Carnival dinners. We're going to do early seating. What did you do with your child when they were fed early and you had late seating? Get a babysitter? I'm not actually new, I need to change my name. My BF and I went on our first cruise last December and did late seating. It was great for relaxing after port and enjoying cocktails, sushi and the sunset before getting ready for dinner, but after dinner I was ready for bed. So, this time, maybe I can take a nap after dinner and then will be able to stay up to enjoy the evening fun.

my kids were 3 and 4 for their first cruise and they did much better than i had anticipated at dinner.

we cruised hal which did not have a lot of kids on board and very limited kids' activities.

they ate dinner every night with us. we had early seating which was perfect for their age.

we opted to have a private table so we didn't have to worry about bothering anyone else.

my secret trick for getting them to behave: glowsticks. i brought them into the dining room and if they behaved then they could have one at dessert time. worked like a charm and they carried them around the rest of the night and them used them for nightlights.

Archived