Panorama, with autistic adult, 12/28-1/4

edspec

Off the Panorama this morning, the staff was beyond wonderful in dealing with my son's special needs.  If any of you are worried don't be afraid, everything from embarkation, to muster, to room cleaning, through disembarkation handled exactly as I requested.  And if your autistic adult/child doesn't like to leave the room for meals, the handy dandy Carnival Hub app was the best!  From ordering to the room in 12 minutes!  

As far as the ship itself...new, beautiful, lots of fun.  I would sail it again, same itinerary, just because it was so easy given our family's needs.  Was it my favorite?  No.  All of us like the Oasis class ships, and DH and I prefer MSC.  But the service, the comedians, the Carnival Kitchen, Java Blue, Cheers inclusions...truly enjoyed it.  Next time DH said we had to do Havana Cabanas, and I can live with that 🙂

We stayed at the Queen Mary, which I recommend.  It was so convenient to walk across the parking lot with our bags, and it was nice not being in a traffic jam trying to get to the ship.  

Happy to answer any questions.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Thank you so much for the positive comments about what you experienced. 
‘That’s so wonderful, it can be overwhelming sometimes for families. 
As the mom of an adult autism spectrum son it makes me smile!! 

I’ve been really tiring of the negative/critical/holier than thou comments on here lately. 
Nearly every thread has them now. 
Thanks again for the positive post!!! 

• 2 years later...

I would ask for whatever will make your family's cruise easier, which is different for all of us.  If Carnival can't accommodate you they will let you know.

My family does better w/ early embarkation/disembarkation,  but DH and I think a late arrival/exit would work just as well.  What we want to avoid is a mad crush of people.

We ask for our own table in the MDR, because while DS has lovely table manners he can perseverate on certain phrases or topics and that would be annoying to others.  I also ask that the table be close to the entrance, but not right on the main walkway through the restaurant.

We always get connecting rooms, so that we have space.  Also, DS likes looong showers, so sort of a necessity.

DS is safe in the room by himself, and he doesn't wander, so I don't push him to go to meals any longer.  If he wants to come with us great, if not room service.  Carnival's once a day cleaning works great for us.  We have our room done in the morning, and if DS doesn't want to go to the MDR he comes to our room while his is cleaned.  The difficult part is letting go of an expectation that DS will want to do/enjoy something.  He is an adult, and like all of us has preferences.  I have to remember my sister and her family on a cruise, and the teenage boys didn't leave the room except for a couple of times during the week.  They were happy to eat room service and watch movies or play on their devices.  

I hope the above helps, let me know if you have any specific questions, ok?