Should we book excursions??

sandymac

We will be going to St. Thomas in 2 weeks. We will be traveling with our 3 children (8, 5, and 2.5). This is our first cruise with them and our first Eastern cruise. We are debating if we should book an excursion or just "play it by ear". I was thinking of booking Godfrey, but i am hesitant b/c I don't know how much "enjoyment" my kids would get out of it. I was thinking that it would be better to just do things on our own, but since I never been to St Thomas before, I don't know how easy it is to get around on our own or where to even go.

Any help or advice would be appreciated,

Sandy

Sandy, taxis are everywhere! I suggest that you just take the kids to a beach that has been recommended here on CC. If they tire of that, you can then go to another beach, to downtown, or go to a local site.

Have a great cruise!

Whew - kind of a late start to begin planning what to do on each island.....but here is my tips.....

1) Research what there is to do - these boards are full of info. Click on "Destinations" at the top of the page - there will be more stuff there. Go to your local bookstore and look at Frommers Caribbean Ports of Call (5th edition is latest printing) you will see it is worth the $15.00 as it has all the islands listed in alpha order with tons of info..... you can read up on the places you are going at your leisure (lunchbreak or while the kids nap)

2) Not sure which cruise you are on (we were on Serenade in Nov. and it is port intensive - we came home exhausted) so with 3 little ones I wouldnt try to "do it all" .

3) Some tours are too long for little ones..... if you decide to do one - do a shorter one. "Doing your own thing" gives you more flexability but you need to know what you are doing. - HAVE A PLAN

4) Try to remember that dh has interests too - and you too.... dont plan everything for the kids only.... just have fun.

The first time I visit a new location, I book and excursion that shows the highlights. After that, I'd rather be on my own.

I have heard that Godfreys is great and much better rates then Carnival. THey offer several excursions depending on what you want to do.

Here's the info on cabs in St. Thomas. Looks like they run $10 per person just to get TO the beach, then add $10 for the return. You can get a tour thru Godfrey for $20 that will take you to multiple places (and he will accommodate you if you want to shop or not/ tour the island/or not, etc...)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=283067

BUT, it may be too late to book with him. You should decide soon.

Here's the info on cabs in St. Thomas. Looks like they run $10 per person just to get TO the beach, then add $10 for the return. You can get a tour thru Godfrey for $20 that will take you to multiple places (and he will accommodate you if you want to shop or not/ tour the island/or not, etc...)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=283067

BUT, it may be too late to book with him. You should decide soon.

Godfrey just raised the rate to $25.00 due to cost of fuel at over $3.00 per gal. STILL a great deal.

Archived