Photo processing on board

Emu

With the rise of digital cameras, is there now any of the self serve processing and printing machines on board QM2??? (or any facility at all to print them?)

I am sure I didn't find one on our last voyage but was wondering if any were added during the November dry-docking period.

Otherwise I will just take more memory cards!

With the rise of digital cameras, is there now any of the self serve processing and printing machines on board QM2??? (or any facility at all to print them?)

I am sure I didn't find one on our last voyage but was wondering if any were added during the November dry-docking period.

Otherwise I will just take more memory cards!

I believe you can process them at the photo shop, which, if memory serves me is sort of next to one of the bars- Sir Samuels? Obviously not one I frequented! <G> But there are a couple of other possibilities. I believe they also could take your photos and save them to a photo CD. If you will be bringing a laptop. which Marc and I always do, as I think we have them surgically implanted! <G> you can download your pics to your laptop and go merrily on your way. Just remember to retrieve them when you get home (I only use my laptop when traveling. I have a very ancient desktop for my home computing. Suits me just fine!) Of course you could go completely round the bend as we did. For Christmas Marc bought me one of those photo printers. After you use up the initial package that came with it, I think new packages of ink and paper come 100 photos to a package, for about 30 dollars US. You can stretch those numbers a bit. This one was medium sized, and didn't weigh too much, and Marc delighted in giving people photos right there on the ship. (Including, much to my embarassment, the Commodore and his wife, who, as it turned out were delighted! Or at least feigned delight, politely. when Marc stated they probably get pics from passengers all the time, they said passengers NEVER give them pictures! Marc did some kind of neat night shots with timelapse up on deck, and some interesting shots leaving Curacao at night, and the sail-away party on 8 deck aft. They, at least, seemed to appreciate them.) Bringing along a printer is rather extreme, but they are making those photo printers smaller and smaller!

One last possibility. If you have access to a laptop, but can't store them there- I.E. a friend is bringing one- or your camera will allow you to do this straight from one to the other, download your photos to a thumb drive or two. They're small, getting cheaper and you can get a fairly good capacity one, even 1 or 2 Gig. I don't believe you can access any media ports, such as a USB port or disk drive, on the ship's computers.

But most important, you can upload them to O-Foto, or one of those other photo sites for all of us to see!

Karie,

Can't wait to see your photos!

I could be wrong (woudn't be the first time), but I think there was one of those yellow Kodak counter-top kiosk thingies in the photo shop.

If not, as Karie says, they can print or write to CD for you. And yes, it was beside Sir Samuels.

Regards, Colin.

Thanks for your advice........... I must admit I just glaced at the photo area........... was put off with all the "official" photos on sale.

The CD option sounds good........... I can print them selectively here for less than 25c (AUD) each in any number of shops........ much better than paying for the ones that don't turn out as desired.

You're better off printing direct from the memory card in your camera -- when they put the pics on CD you lose quite a bit of data and the pictures don't print as sharply. The photo guy on board will stick your card in the machine and then leave you alone to choose the pictures you want to print. I think they cost around .40 a print (USD) and look good. Or you could get an extra really big memory card and wait til you get home (they're getting cheaper all the time)

Archived