Luganville World War II Relics

Brushtail

Greetings everyone,

My husband has asked me to post this thread. He is interested in all things military (sigh) and wants to know if there are any WWII relics easily accessible on our trip.

Being a none diver, he wants something easily accessed on a day trip etc.

We are on Paradise Gateway N618 and will be visiting:

• Pentecost
  • Vila
  • Luganville
  • Wala
  • Mystery Island and
  • Isle of Pines.

He will appreciate any information. :rolleyes: :)

Thanks heaps.

You don't need to dive to see war relics in Luganville.

We went there in '04 and there are plenty of tours to Million Dollar Point where the US pushed all its army surplus at the end of the war when no-one would agree to buy the stuff from them. Whilst much of it has rusted away or been pilfered you can still identify quite a bnumber of items. Likewise the same tour will take you to the location of where a US B17 crashed into the jungle after the war. Because it was largely aluminium the plane's parts are still identifiable.

Greetings everyone,

My husband has asked me to post this thread. He is interested in all things military (sigh) and wants to know if there are any WWII relics easily accessible on our trip.

Being a none diver, he wants something easily accessed on a day trip etc.

We are on Paradise Gateway N618 and will be visiting:

• Pentecost
  • Vila
  • Luganville
  • Wala
  • Mystery Island and
  • Isle of Pines.

He will appreciate any information. :rolleyes: :)

Thanks heaps.

Well you can as stated above Luganville is great for non divers,but you can also go to the old war air-field on Villa not as good as Luganville.

But a nice easy walk on the Isle of Pines does take you to a old convict prison well worth the walk,and if Suey and I can do it so can you.

We stopped at Vila while on last voyage of Sky Princess as a Princess ship, San Francisco to Sydney, 9-00. She then became P&O Australia's Pacific Sky.

One of the organized tours at Vila included going out to the plantation of a son of a WW2 Coastwatcher, and adjacent to a former US base. Not only was the tale of his father's experiences fascinating, he had many military artifacts about. As a WW2 history buff, I thought the excursion well worthwhile.

The cruise had been advertised as a WW2 Pacific Battlegrounds trip, and it was GREAT!! Princess continues to offer a different version, and I hope to go on another.

You don't need to dive to see war relics in Luganville.

We went there in '04 and there are plenty of tours to Million Dollar Point where the US pushed all its army surplus at the end of the war when no-one would agree to buy the stuff from them. Whilst much of it has rusted away or been pilfered you can still identify quite a bnumber of items. Likewise the same tour will take you to the location of where a US B17 crashed into the jungle after the war. Because it was largely aluminium the plane's parts are still identifiable.

Get a taxi to Million Dollar Point as you then get to spend all day there whereas on a tour you are only there for a couple of hours. There is a gate fee of around $6 when we went. Worth going for the way they drive those darn taxis.:D

When it looks like everybody is making their way back, grab a taxi that is going back. There is usually other people going too and it makes the fare cheaper. We were sitting on the beach right next to the tour people and watched a lot of groups coming during the day, and we were still there. I think hunger got the better of us in the end, but it was towards the endish of the day before we went back. I think that was the night I went straight to the pizzeria, ate a whole one on my own, then went and had a 5 course meal that night.:o

Archived