Eastern vs. Western Caribbean?

cdaystravel

Great to hear it. Shopping, beach and water sports are our thing. Last summer on the Dawn some well cruised folks said that when the ships are in port in St. Thomas the crew stay on the ship; even if it is their one day in 30 off!

Shoping is Great in St Thomas. You can easily exceed you "alloted amount" as far as Immigration, but it might be worth it. You do have to "look around" and do not be afraid to "negotiate";)

If you get a chance hop over to St Johns... lots of beautiful beaches.

Have fun :)

In St. Thomas, we arranged to hire a jeep from the rental near the pier and drove around the island on our own. It was easy to do. We spent time at Megan's Bay. Checked out Sapphire Bay for a future stop for swimming and liked it. Stopped and did some shopping and turned in the jeep an hour before boarding time. It was a blast! And the cost was less than the tour offered by the cruise line. Wouldn't miss St. Thomas.

I've done Western twice, Eastern once, and Southern once. We absolutely loved St. Thomas and St. Maarten. We went to Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas and Orient Beach in St. Maarten. Two of the best beaches we have ever seen in the Caribbean! Cannot wait to go back! I cannot convey how awesome these beaches were. Plus the shopping was much better than in most ports. So much more than just Diamonds International.

Regarding Western Caribbean: no slams from me. Did it twice and had a great time. I (we) really enjoyed St. Thomas and St. Maarten so much more than Jamaica or Grand Caymon. Just our personal preference (no one fry me for my opinion, please).

I can't understand why anyone would criticize St. Thomas or St. Maarten. Maybe those posters can't be pleased anywhere. These islands are truly amazing, so I hope you keep an open mind. On these boards, there are incredibly helpful and kind people. There are also people who are nasty or who complain about everything. I'll probably regret typing this, because some one will post something nasty because they don't agree with me. Do not let grumpy and critical people scare you away from those two amazing islands. You would really miss out on an amazing experience.

I'm not sure why anyone would be slamming St. Thomas or St. Martin. We love those ports! We've done Eastern itineraries twice now and been to both ports twice. The shopping is great in the Eastern Carribbean, and there are some great beaches. Our last time in St. Thomas, we took a ferry to St. John and went to Trunk Bay Beach. It was one of the nicest beaches we've ever been to!! I would go back there without hesitation.

I can't stress enough how important it is that people GET OUT OF THE PORT AREA to really enjoy a port of call. The port areas are usually not great, and what shopping that is there is all alike: junk, souvenirs, chain jewelry stores, etc. etc. To enjoy St. Maarten and St. Thomas, get deep into the island and explore! Another plus for St. Thomas: You can hop a ferry to St. Johns, which is spectacular, and only 45 minutes away. Not many typical tourist traps, either. The beaches are amazing, and the views from the road of the rest of the islands are breathtaking. Plus, Virgin Islands National Park is located here.

As others have already said, you dock more on an eastern itinerary, tender more on a western. They each have their own pluses:

Eastern: Gorgeous beaches, easier to get car rentals, better restaurants, safer, duty free limit higher in St. Thomas (if you insist on shopping)

Western: Snorkeling is great, more archeological sites and ruins, more relatively undeveloped ports, better taste of local cultures

This is all MHO, though. Both itineraries are good. Depends on what you want and how far you are willing to stray from the port.

Cheers,

Thank you so much for the great advise. Here is a new one. Will I get a better deal early booking as a Latitude member or hold off and take a "Hot Deal" at the last minute???:cool:

Last minute if you don't care when you go or what cabin you stay in. Many popular dates the fare in fact goes way up last minute.

If you know what cabin, when, and where you want to cruise book now. Watch the prices and deals on other ships. You can always get the better price prior to final or cancel and book another date or ship before final as well.

Shopping, beach and water sports are our thing. In that order the two best ports are the ones you are concerned with. St Thomas has increased limits on duty free. St Maarten perhaps some of the best deals in the Carb.

I can't stress enough how important it is that people GET OUT OF THE PORT AREA to really enjoy a port of call.

How true. :) My father was in the British Merchant Navy (cargo ships) and both he and my mother have travelled all over the world (excluding land-locked countries!). Whenever I mention going somewhere on vacation I get a "I wouldn't go there" response from them. :eek: This is based on only having seen working ports in the various countries. Having lived in Southampton, England which is a working port I would not recommend visiting England - based ONLY on seeing the PORT AREA of Southampton.

To truly see a country or island you need to get out and explore - the most wonderful place in the world could be just around the corner. :D

I'm not sure why anyone would be slamming St. Thomas or St. Martin. We love those ports! We've done Eastern itineraries twice now and been to both ports twice. The shopping is great in the Eastern Carribbean, and there are some great beaches. Our last time in St. Thomas, we took a ferry to St. John and went to Trunk Bay Beach. It was one of the nicest beaches we've ever been to!! I would go back there without hesitation.
Although we like both ports I think the slamming may come from the crime rate being so high in St Thomas. One of our daughters lived there for 2 years: it can be very scary, but so can any major American City. NMnita

I think that one of the main reasons St. Thomas gets a bad rap is that it is such a popular port and some days there are just too many ships there. It's no fun if all the piers are occupied and you have to tender. Then, with many ships in port, the traffic, especially returning to the port in the afternoon is unbelievable.

One advantage of St. Thomas is that it's the best place in the Caribbean to mail your post cards, use U.S. stamps and unlike almost all other Caribbean ports, they will arrive home before you do.

Thank you so much for the great advise. Here is a new one. Will I get a better deal early booking as a Latitude member or hold off and take a "Hot Deal" at the last minute???:cool:
BAsebalmom, I was one of those for many years: anyway let me give you my take and that is all it is: my opinion: We have cruised Western about 5 times, eastern probably the same number and southern which usually takes in St Maartin and St Thomas 3 or 4 times. If snorkeling and beautiful water is your main reason for cruising do the western. All the Caribbean water is gorgeous, but the western is the best for water sports: if shopping is your thing stick with the eastern and I know you didn't mention the southern, but those are the islands with the most versatility (spelling) St Thomas is worth it just for the shopping if nothing else. St Maartin has some good tours and the French side of the island is a wonderful place to wander around. I wouldn't want to do much shopping there as it can be a bit pricey, but the Dutch side is a great place to shop. On the Western side, the only shopping really is Cozumel and it isn't all that great. the Southern Caribbean offers wonderful islands and some shopping. The biggest negative, for us, when touring St Maatin and again this is our experience, even before recent events, I am going back mayber 15 years ago the french side of the island are not terribly fond of Americans so don't expect to be welcome with open arms even when you are helping thier economy.

As for when to book, boy that is the 64,000 dollar question. Using latiltude prices may save you a bundle and get you a good upgrade. As you get close to sailing the prices may go up, not down. Again it could do the opposite. Remember latitude rates are offered on dates the line does not expect to sell out. NMnita

Just got back from our cruise on The Sun which stopped in St. Thomas. We've been there about 5 times before. We arrived in a different area than we normally do. (sorry, can't remember the name of the dock) but, it was full of construction. They are building a shopping area. We took a taxi and went to Megan's Bay. It's beautiful there. Last year we took the Red Hook ferry to St.Johns from St. Thomas. We also did St.Martin last year. It's one of our favorite shopping ports! But, I would have to say the water in Grand Cayman is the best! We've been on 9 cruises to many islands and it's a toss up between Barbados and Grand Cayman! (I love the beach so, that is what I'm basing it on) ~just my opinion! If I had to choose, I'd pick Eastern Caribbean. You'll have fun where ever you go!!! :)

You folks are great. Thank you for consistently offering sound information. Is is common in late August to have some of the Eastern Caribbean ports filled requiring you to tender when you would otherwise have docked??
Actually no, not at all as many ships leave the Caribbean and head to Alaska, Europe and Bermuda for the summer.

Ste. Maarten is one of our favorite ports--we love the shopping on the Dutch side, and the scenery on the French side.

I'm pretty bored with St. Thomas, simply from having been there so many times, but was shocked in December to see the Hard Rock Cafe has been replaced with a Wendy's.:eek: We had always done our liquor shopping in St. Thomas, and noticed that it's now less expensive in Ste. Maarten.

How much do we love Ste. Maarten? When planning our 25th anniversary cruise, my husband's only stipulation was that Ste. Maarten be one of the ports. As it happens, the Dawn will be in Ste. Maarten on our actual anniversary. We're going to renew our vows at Mullet Bay beach.

We're doing the renewal ceremony first thing in the morning so we can then play--we're bringing six people who've never been to Ste. Maarten. I suspect the men will head to Orient Bay beach on the French side to enjoy the "sights" while the women do some shopping in Phillipsburg.

I'm honestly not a big fan of the Western Caribbean. My experiences have involved merchants being very aggressive, even following me into other buildings. Creepy. Grand Cayman is the exception.

Enjoy your sailing, Carla

Archived