Cocktails in the room

sailorgirl

OK, if we're not supposed to bring liquor on board (Millie 3/5) and we're not allowed to buy liquor on board to have in our room, how does one have a cocktail in their room prior to dinner? It is our choice to enjoy it on our verandah. Do we need to keep buying the little bottles in the 'frig (how much is each one?) or have room service every afternoon to bring us drinks? How much would - say, a vodka and orange juice or a martini - be purchased at the bar and carried back to the room? Isn't there a better way??

Well, yeah. the better way would be to bring it. In the Martini Bar a Martini (duh!) is $10.93 after they add the 15%. I think the Vodka Screwdriver is about $8 with a name brand. I don't drink those. I know what the 'tini's are because that's what I drink! You could order yourself booze from the gift catalog and have it sent to the room when you get on.

OK, if we're not supposed to bring liquor on board (Millie 3/5) and we're not allowed to buy liquor on board to have in our room, how does one have a cocktail in their room prior to dinner? It is our choice to enjoy it on our verandah. Do we need to keep buying the little bottles in the 'frig (how much is each one?) or have room service every afternoon to bring us drinks? How much would - say, a vodka and orange juice or a martini - be purchased at the bar and carried back to the room? Isn't there a better way??

http://www.celebrity.com/shopceleb/giftList.do?pagename=wines_and_champagnes

Don't let the page title put you off. Scroll down far enough and you'll find packages from $50. These are 1 liter bottles, not 750's.

I know some people just bring it onboard. I think I asked the same question on the RCCL board, and only one person had it confiscated from their luggage, put aboard by the porters. The official rules say that you can purchase a bottle for about $50.00 and it comes with a 6 pack of your favorite soda.

Rick

OK, that $50 bottle (who cares about the stuff that comes with it) is a large bottle then. That was important to know because I thought it was one of small ones. Don't they have tiny bottles in the 'frig? Thanks for all your input. A bottle in the suitcase might be worth a try - if only for the convenience!

OK, that $50 bottle (who cares about the stuff that comes with it) is a large bottle then. That was important to know because I thought it was one of small ones. Don't they have tiny bottles in the 'frig? Thanks for all your input. A bottle in the suitcase might be worth a try - if only for the convenience!
Yes, they have a fridge full of the little ones, but if you've got a Jones for pretty much the same concoction every night, it'd be a darned sight cheaper to get the liter, the mix and the nuts for the $50 than to keep raiding the fridge for miniatures.

What are the prices for onboard drinks?

Subject: Food and Beverage

Alcoholic beverage prices:

Aperitifs: $5.50

Standard alcohol: $5.50 and up

Premium alcohol: $5.75 and up

Cocktails: $4.95 and up

Wine glass: $5.95 and up

Champagne glass: $6.95 and up

Domestic beer: $4.50

Imported beer: $4.50 and up

Non-Alcoholic Beverage prices:

Soft drink (glass): $1.25

Soft drink (can): $1.95

Water: $2.50 and up

Drinks purchased in souvenir glass: $8.95

Coffee, tea, and milk:

Complimentary onboard all ships in all lounges except for Cova Cafe.

Note: all prices are quoted in U.S. dollars. Prices are subject to change and 15% gratuity is additional.

Hope that helps. The items found in your minibar are the same prices, when applicable.

Thanks you, everyone, for responding to my inquiry and helping me figure out what best to do. I think I'll go for that $50 bottle in order to assure that we have enough in our room to have our before dinner drink, on our verandah, for those two weeks!

I will add this. We were on Infinity in November, My wife wanted a glass of Chardonnay. I just assumed that the honor bar was a ripoff, so I went up one deck (we were on 9 forward) and got a glass of Chardonnay at the poolside bar and carried it back. After doing so, I calculated the cost vs. the honor bar. Since you get almost two glasses out of the splits of wine in the honor bar it worked out to almost the same price. I don't know if spirits work out the same.

Regards

Thanks you, everyone, for responding to my inquiry and helping me figure out what best to do. I think I'll go for that $50 bottle in order to assure that we have enough in our room to have our before dinner drink, on our verandah, for those two weeks!

sailorgirl...........the beauty of the bottle.........is that you can order it onboard.....and they will bring it within a few minutes. Just ask for it.

Rick

WE used the small mini bar bottles of van gogh vodka to make pre dinner drinks. price was the same as the Vodka tonics at the bar. We got 2 drinks out of the mini bottle and can of tonic. they will replace them for you.

Just a suggestion or warning. The last cruise we were on, we asked to have the mini-bar unlocked. We removed a few things from the bar and used it for our own "stash". The next day, the bar staff charged us for the "missing" bottles. I pointed them out to the cabin steward and he said he would take care of it. When our bill arrived, the mini bottles were still on it. I went to the front desk and had to explain the whole thing. As it turned out, their inventory was off anyway. There were several items not in the bar, but shown on the check-off list.

If you open your bar, inventory everything so you don't get charged for something that wasn't there in the first place.

Carol

Its very simple to just wrap it in bubble wrap and put it in your checked luggage. Never had a problem with this on a lot of cruises. The room steward sure doesn't care, we set it up with the ice bucket. I like my martinis in a stemmed glass and they give me one at the bar, I tell the room steward I want to keep it in the room and it is fine.By the way I don't consider this smuggeling, its my room. If you use anything from the mini bar they add a15% tip to the cost, I guess they consider a re-stocking fee.

My suggestions are:

1) Buy at the airport and put in your luggage

2) Buy in the ships terminal, put in your carry-on, lie to slip by the one guy when boarding the ship.

Basically, you'll need to lie or be sneaky if using #2, but if you don't look like a partier, they will not likely search your carry-on.

Take the odds that they wont take your bottle, its worth the gamble.

Just bring a bottle on board.

The line is very understanding in that way.

As long as your not bringing a keg and a case of whatever they will let you keep it in your cabin.

The last time I had brought a bottle of Grey Goose on with the Vermouth for my friend to have Martini's before dinner.

That aft cabin has a lot of room. ;)

Just bring a bottle on board.

The line is very understanding in that way.

As long as your not bringing a keg and a case of whatever they will let you keep it in your cabin.

The last time I had brought a bottle of Grey Goose on with the Vermouth for my friend to have Martini's before dinner.

That aft cabin has a lot of room. ;)

One way to save carrying another bottle is to buy the vermouth spritzer. It is a little silver or chrome spray bottle about 2 in. high and comes with a tiny funnel to fill it. You put your gin or vodka in the pretty glass and spray the amount of vermouth over it. I have 2 just in case,LOL.

One way to save carrying another bottle is to buy the vermouth spritzer. It is a little silver or chrome spray bottle about 2 in. high and comes with a tiny funnel to fill it. You put your gin or vodka in the pretty glass and spray the amount of vermouth over it. I have 2 just in case,LOL.

Dam... Missed this one. Do they sell this is regular liquor stores?

my cousins bought some liquor in plastic bottles in Long Beach and just wrapped it well in their luggage and brought it onboard. When we were in Kona, we saw some small bottles of Smirnoff (airline size) for $ 0.99 in an ABC store. They were in plastic w/metal caps. We bought some and put them in various pockets to smuggle them back on board. We passed the metal detectors on shore and on the ship but I felt like a criminal! All this so we could have a simple drink on the veranda. We used the courtesy bar for our mix so they got us for that.

We are not cheap. We bought plenty of rounds of drinks for our party but they do charge high prices for the mixed drinks. A round of drinks was $40-50 depending on what was ordered. A diet Coke was $2.24 w/the gratuity.

I have never brought liquor onboard but this year I decided to pack a big bottle of rum when I heard about the increase in liquor prices. We would still buy plenty but thought we could save a couple of dollars on some in cabin cocktails...I had a good suggestion to put it in a plastic bottle instead of the glass it came in. DH works for TSA (we're flying) and when he saw me packing a large plastic bottle that said "Mango Margaritas" but was full of a brown liquid that was obviously not "Mango" he told me to put it back in the original bottle. He said TSA would have to investigate it and maybe even confiscate it. I don't know if he's right, but I had to take his word for it. I repacked it in some bubble wrap. It's alot heavier and more breakable but I can't chance being hassled about it.

Does anyone know where to buy liquor ie., vodka, scotch & Amaretto in Barcelona before we board the ship. We are leaving from Phoenix & that is a long way to cart liquor in our suitcases. I had planned to just buy a package but $50.00 for a 1 liter bottle is still a lot. I pay $22.99 for 1.75 liter of Stoli at Costco! Yikes, the cruiselines are getting expensive!

Thanks for any info!

Q

Dam... Missed this one. Do they sell this is regular liquor stores?
I sent for it from the catalog on the airplane then a friend gave me my second one.It is made by Misto so Bed,Bath and Beyond probably has it or you could find it on google. I usually buy a bar martini on the first day then keep that glass in the room. You get to be sneaky when you reach 77.LOL Can't help you with the olives tho.

I've always carried Gin on in Zepherhills bottles. I know its' cheesy but I agree with posts about it being my room. BTW I have a wife and 3 adult children and my bar bill for the last cruise (wine included) was $1300...I'm not cheap but don't like to be gouged in my room...

We just got off the Summit from a 14 day rt cruise to Hawaii. It was fabulous.

We took a 1.75l bottle of vodka on board in our luggage with no problems. Also had 6 bottles of wine in a "wine shipper" box which was delivered to our room with no problem. On each of the formal and informal nights we would send a bottle to the restaurant during the afternoon and it was always waiting for us at our table. X charges you corkage but we had some really nice wine that we could not have had access to on board.

I don't think X or any of the cruise lines are going to get too picky about letting people bring a reasonable amount of liquor on board. How long would it take to be broadly communicated? Not long, for sure. Would lead to very bad public relations and ALL the lines need to fill ALL their rooms.

What are the prices for onboard drinks?

Subject: Food and Beverage

Alcoholic beverage prices:

Aperitifs: $5.50

Standard alcohol: $5.50 and up

Premium alcohol: $5.75 and up

Cocktails: $4.95 and up

Wine glass: $5.95 and up

Champagne glass: $6.95 and up

Domestic beer: $4.50

Imported beer: $4.50 and up

Non-Alcoholic Beverage prices:

Soft drink (glass): $1.25

Soft drink (can): $1.95

Water: $2.50 and up

Drinks purchased in souvenir glass: $8.95

Coffee, tea, and milk:

Complimentary onboard all ships in all lounges except for Cova Cafe.

Note: all prices are quoted in U.S. dollars. Prices are subject to change and 15% gratuity is additional.

Hope that helps. The items found in your minibar are the same prices, when applicable.

i concur, send a bon voyage gift to yourselves. last time we were on RCCL it was allowable the first night of the cruise to purchase a bottle in the duty free store, an additional $10 if you wanted to take it to your room. you may want to check this.

I sent for it from the catalog on the airplane then a friend gave me my second one.It is made by Misto so Bed,Bath and Beyond probably has it or you could find it on google. I usually buy a bar martini on the first day then keep that glass in the room. You get to be sneaky when you reach 77.LOL Can't help you with the olives tho.

Thanks. If I remember I'll look for it.

The olives are no problem. Either I bring a bottle or just tip the bartender and get some from them.

Archived