RE: Table Mates - Need Some Advice

bobby1119

I am sailing solo on the full 2007 QE2 world cruise as my retirement gift to myself and have requested to be seated at a table for 6-8 in the Caronia Restaurant. I have always traveled and dined with a companion on all voyages except when I sailed solo on a recent transatlantic (2003) and purposely chose to dine solo at a table for 2 in Caronia.

Here is where I need and will welcome advice: As a solo sharing a table with 6-8 other passengers, how do I deal with differences in the dining time preferences of table mates? My ideal time to dine is at 8:30, but I realize that my table mates may want or need to dine earlier. I know that Caronia starts serving at 7:00, and that for me would be far too early. On the one hand, I want to respect my table mates without denying my own needs, and, on the other hand, I do not want to be selfish and waltz in at 8:30 and incur their wrath and that of the wait staff. I am very flexible and always willing to negotiate.

Any advice about how to handle this dilema will be very appreciated.

Thank You!

I am sailing solo on the full 2007 QE2 world cruise as my retirement gift to myself and have requested to be seated at a table for 6-8 in the Caronia Restaurant. I have always traveled and dined with a companion on all voyages except when I sailed solo on a recent transatlantic (2003) and purposely chose to dine solo at a table for 2 in Caronia.

Here is where I need and will welcome advice: As a solo sharing a table with 6-8 other passengers, how do I deal with differences in the dining time preferences of table mates? My ideal time to dine is at 8:30, but I realize that my table mates may want or need to dine earlier. I know that Caronia starts serving at 7:00, and that for me would be far too early. On the one hand, I want to respect my table mates without denying my own needs, and, on the other hand, I do not want to be selfish and waltz in at 8:30 and incur their wrath and that of the wait staff. I am very flexible and always willing to negotiate.

Any advice about how to handle this dilema will be very appreciated.

Thank You!

I am also a solo traveler and just returned from the NYC - LA segment of the world cruise. I had requested a table for 8 - 10 and was given a table with three couples so that made it a 7. Very comfortable not having to squeeze eight around and the three couples were absolutely delightful.

Now as to time, your 8:30 maybe a wee bit of a delema. after the first night we all decided on a 7:00 arrival time but we sort of slide into it as no one really wanted to take the lead. Now if you are a good talker you may be able to convince everyone that 8:30 it the best time for dinner.

An alternative would be to make it a serious request to your TA and to Cunard so they can try and find 6-7 like minded passengers before you arrive and put you all together.

Of course, I have penciled in next year's world cruise on my calendar as a must do but it will require a super year of selling real estate to pull it off and I can be pursuaded to dine at 8:30

My experience in Caronia is that people came and left at tables without the wait staff being concerned. You got your courses served when you were ready for them, not on any schedule set by the other diners.

I am a fairly early diner, and did find myself eating more slowly and finishing around the same time my tablemates who arrived later finished, but that was my choice, not dictated by any social rules.

You might find you will enjoy the dining room experience a bit more if you do come in at 8:00 so you have more time to socialize, which I assume is why you chose a large table.

Of course, I have penciled in next year's world cruise on my calendar as a must do but it will require a super year of selling real estate to pull it off and I can be pursuaded to dine at 8:30

----------------------------------------------------------------

Tumeroll, I have enjoyed your posts so far and HOPE you are on the world cruise next year! It would be cool. If you go, I will dine with you at 8:30!!! Seriously, I am not locked in at 8:30; I just wanted to know how to handle it, and you have been very helpful... Stay in touch as to 2007 QE2 WC!

My experience in Caronia is that people came and left at tables without the wait staff being concerned. You got your courses served when you were ready for them, not on any schedule set by the other diners.

I am a fairly early diner, and did find myself eating more slowly and finishing around the same time my tablemates who arrived later finished, but that was my choice, not dictated by any social rules.

You might find you will enjoy the dining room experience a bit more if you do come in at 8:00 so you have more time to socialize, which I assume is why you chose a large table.

Your advice is very much welcomed. I especially found the "arrive at 8:00" for conversation very useful. Thanks.

Hi, It's possible that as a solo passenger requesting a large table you may be placed at an officers table. In my experience they tend to dine later, around 8-8:30.

You could always have a word with the maitre d'. The world cruise has a lot of regulars, and (s)he'll know who dines early and who dines later.

A very envious Colin.

We booked the QM2 for the entire World Cruise, leaving Jan. 10, 2007.

We will wave to you at FLL, and see you again in Sydney.

We chose the QM2, she takes only 80 days, because we have horrible guilt feelings leaving our 2 Yorkies behind. Yes, I thought about bringing them, but I think just visiting them a few times a day in the kennel,and having to leave them would be more difficult for them (and us).

We have wanted to do this trip for years, and do NOT want to miss it and regret it for the rest of our lives. We aren't getting any younger.

Less than a year to go, I am excited already!

We had a guy at our table(one of the lecturers) who, on the rare occasions that he dined with us, tended to arrive on the stroke of 9. As this is the cut off time for service in Caronia you can imagine how popular he was with wait staff who had to prepare tables for breakfast before going off duty.

Most pax dine at 7-7.30 and we found that later diners did slow down service for the early birds. And it is always awkward getting up from a table when others are only on the first course. Maybe they could have a few tables dedicated to late diners, but that would be another complication.

David.

Hello,

I am sailing on the April 21st crossing. Southampton to New York. This is my first crossing as a single and am wondering what does one do when it comes to ordering a glass of wine with dinner. Does one order by the glass or offer to share with fellow table mates. Are there any other single's travelling on this trip? Would like to hear from them .Another silly....but important question how does a female travelling on her own walk into a show,bar or dance on her own without feeling a complete fool or out of place? By the way I live in New Jersey but will be flying over to England and sailing back.

Hello,

I am sailing on the April 21st crossing. Southampton to New York. This is my first crossing as a single and am wondering what does one do when it comes to ordering a glass of wine with dinner. Does one order by the glass or offer to share with fellow table mates. Are there any other single's travelling on this trip? Would like to hear from them .Another silly....but important question how does a female travelling on her own walk into a show,bar or dance on her own without feeling a complete fool or out of place? By the way I live in New Jersey but will be flying over to England and sailing back.

Answering from the male prospective - At our table of three couples and myself, each couple ordered their own wine by the bottle and I ordered by the glass. The wine steward did suggest that I purchase a bottle and he would save it for the next meal but as I changed selections from night to night that was not a good plan. By the bottle, per glass, is however slightly less expensive than by the single glass.

There was never any discussion about sharing of wines. I would beware getting into a sharing thing with a full table unless you are a serious consumer of adult beverages as the solo traveler can easily end up with the bulk of the charges.

As to entering any of the shows or lounges etc. they tend to be wide open spaces and it is not like a grand entrance where everyone will turn to look. Now of course if you are extra special in appearance, they will make note of that but I am sure you are used to that aspect of life.

As to the dance floor, you might want to look at my reveiw of the NYC - LA segment as I have some comments on that part of cruising. Both the QE2 and the QM2 have dance hosts that will make certain you are not neglected if you wish to dance. If you simply want to watch all you have to do is decline their offer and nothing further will follow.

After you get into the bar (Read lounge on the Queens) there is no problem being a single lady having a beverage. The entire thing is very low key and quite civilzed.

I am a female who mostly travels solo and never felt the least bit out of place on QE2. It is a very friendly ship and sharing of tables in the Queen's Room and elsewhere is common. If you have extra spaces at your table in a lounge, a couple of people will no doubt ask to join you.

Don't hesitate to ask to join others if seats are limited at tea or elsewhere. I met some fascinating people that way. The sociability of this ship for solos is one of the nice things about traveling solo on her. Since you are on a very long cruise, you will no doubt recognize friends after a few days.

As far as the shows, just slip into the nearest seat. There are rows, as well as tables, so it is more like theatre seating than formal table seating.

... (though not on Cunard).

I found it very convenient to order a bottle of wine and drink it over 2 days - I was still able to change my selection if required, just every 2 days instead of every day. For the first day I preordered a 1/2 litre carafe just after boarding (P+O have a 'wine line', don't know about Cunard) - not too sure whether that was a good idea or not - it meant my wine was there & I didn't have to fight for a wine steward (which seems to be difficult on first night on many ships :) ) but none of my table mates had done so, so I was the ONLY one with wine for part of the meal! However having an item on the table that the wine waiter had to deal with (i.e. pour), may have got him to our table faster that evening than otherwise:D.

If you have an officer at your table (s)he may provide wine one evening - my dilemma then was who offers back on subsequent evenings; firstly I was drinking red and he was drinking whitem, then just as I was going to 'casually' offer some, i.e. while the wine waiter was serving me, something else happened and the moment was lost - I then felt guilty. Anyone else have the ettiquete for this situation? (Subsequent times another couple on the table offered).

The shows I either went on my own and just sat down (I did not take a table, I sat in the 'benches' behind (P+O again)), or I asked if others on the table were going and went in with them.

I was not brave enough to go in the bars when they were busy (a target for next time!:D ) but I went in when it was quieter, just found a seat where I could see what was going on all around - sometimes I got it wrong (hidden behind a pillar) but generally it was ok. The stewards get to know you quite quickly and one evening, perhaps thinking I needed something to do, one found a newspaper (an officers one at that) for me to read - I actually had a book by my side and was people watching - but it seemed rude to refuse.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself and will be doing it again

Karen

Archived