Best Ports for Jewelry Shopping-Western Car.

Actually, depending on what you want, Jamaica can be very good.

Got the absolute best prices on David Yurman in a shop near the port (across from Margaritaville). I would make sure I knew exactly what I was buying though. Would stay away from gems, but if you are looking for a designer brand (Yurman, Hardy, Kabana, etc.) and have done your homework, Jamaica is a great place to deal.

Would be careful with Tanzanite in most ports. Most of it is heat treated.

For silver, I would say Cozumel, although I was just there and the prices were higher than I remembered, and they did not seem as willing to barter.

They bargain better later in the day, but you are right...I think they are working hard to make up for lost revenue from the hurricane. :) The "ship recommended" shops don't bargain, so go for the jewelry stores dripping in silver.

Also, don't go in all decked out in expensive jewelry with your $1000 watch on....you'll have a tougher time getting a great deal.

Tracy

I got a great silver and green tanzinite bracelet in Coz for $20. Next door to Old Mission Restaurant(great place to eat too!!!) Also got pressured in to buying a silver ring with natural emerald(I am pretty good at telling and he knew that-had some on). I got the ring down from $135 to $25(not $125) plus he took my last dollar and gave me a kiss on the cheek. That was the same place.

I love David Yurman and would never have thought they would have it in Jamaica.. goes to prove I dont get to cruise nearly as often as I would like to!!! Now I am even more excited. I need to stop buying new clothes for the cruise and save my pennies for jewelry!!!

Thanks so much everyone!!

As an experienced jewlery and watch shopper in the Caribbean, I can tell you that if you know what you want, you can find it on the onterent for the same price or better than in any of the established tourist jewlery stores. I bought Diamonds in St. Thomas, but stay away from the shops near the dock in Charlotte Amalia, go to the small shops a couple of blocks behind the Hard Rock Cafe.

St. John has some excellent custom jewlery in Mongoose Station. St. Maartin is over rated, Jamaica is rip off, Cozumel is a tourist trap.

In Grand Cayman, go to the Bernard K. Passman Galleries. It's black coral wearable art. It's BEAUTIFUL! My husband bought me a nice gold necklace and pendant for just about $200. Passman appreciates in value every year, so it's like an investment as well. If nothing else, go in a look at some of the displays. They are so unique!

I have a beautiful gold charm bracelet that I got as a 21st birthday gift (many moons ago) and on special vacations I like to pick up a charm or two as a reminder of my trip. I have a couple in mind for this trip but does anyone know if I would actually be able to find things like this or is it mostly silver jewelry (its our first visit to the western Car) I would love :

A gold stingray ~ Grand Cayman

A gold sombrero ~we visit Cozumel and Costa Maya

A sandal ~Key West

Does anyone think these would be possible to find and if so can anyone point me in the right direction of a store.

Thank you in advance

ps...I hope to get something in Antigua too as I will be 50 on the day we are there (told you my bracelet was old) lol

Happycruzer

Archived