Dinner attire

ewh

According to the dailies - i

Informal:

Ladies - Informal dress or pants and blouse. Gentlemen - Jacket, slack.

Casual:

Ladies - Pants suit or sporty outfit. Gentlement: Sport shirt and slacks.

In reality the biggest difference seems to be in men's wear - a jacket is listed for informal.

hello.

You are correct in that traditionally informal means a jacket and tie for men. However, it seems to me that this interpretation is changing because more men are looking great in dressy clothes that do not include a jacket or tie. On our cruise to Mexico (Mercury) last November and we are going again on March 27, informal to many meant looking very nice in a slacks and fancy shirt or sweater but not a jacket. Sportshirts, however, were not widely seen on the ship.

The reason for this change is that many gentlement just do not want to pack more than one suit or tuxedo.

The ket really for the informal night is to look very nice.

This is my opinion but I am sure that you will get many replies arguing the contrary. But hopefully I have been of help to you.

Fred

I typed what was in the daily and jacket is also listed on Celebrity's website.

According to Celebrity, informal means jacket.

Whether someone wears one is a personal decision. And if you are going to the specialty restaurant on M class ships, a jacket is required at all times (on formal nights, a suit or tux is needed).

We just got back from the Connie yesterday.

My husband brought his one dark charcoal suit and a black sportscoat. That was all he needed. He wore a nice button down shirt under the sportscoat, but without a tie.

Yes-there are too many people not dressing appropriately for dinner. Mostly because I think casual has become synonymous for sloppy, and thus informal is being mis-understood. Many men wore only 'nice golf shirts' on informal nights. Women seemed to have a better grasp on informal.

With the exception of the first night, due to no luggage, I always go out of my way to look nice.

In response to the regular comment that people are 'allowed' into the dining room without the proper dress, I was told that X has tasked the waiters to tell the guests that they are not adhering to the dress code. It should not be their job to do so. The head Maitre'd and his assistants should be the police in this situation.

Archived