Freeview while at sea???

Asking for a friend,  is there away to watch catch up tv/freeview while at sea?   He (okay me 2) sadly are a little addicted to a certain reality tv show and don't want to miss out while cruising.   Is there anyway to watch this on a ipad?  Will the normal freeview or 7plus/9go app work?

Thanks in advance 🙂 

1 hour ago, jayde43 said:

is there away to watch catch up tv/freeview while at sea? 

Yes, but it's probably too fiddly.

Most ship internet is terrible. Some ships have the high speed internet necessary for streaming video, but not many are in Australian waters. So it will depend on what ship and in what region. I believe that all ship internet locations default to the US, so that you normally can't get to Australia sites that region block, like 7plus and 9go.

If you are on a ship with good internet you will need to get around the region blocking with a VPN. You can do this on a phone or a laptop. If you want to watch the video on the cabin TV, you will need some way to transmit it from the phone or connect it via HDMI if on a laptop.

Recently on the Ruby Princess I watched ABC iView by starting a VPN back to an Australian server on my phone and then casting via a travel router from the ABC app to a Chromecast device attached to the TV. It worked very well. I also watched Netflix the same way, but without the VPN.

I haven't explained terms such as VPN, etc because it would make the post too long, but it can all be googled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1