current captain of QE2

QE2 fan

Can anyone tell me who is currently the captain of the QE2 at this stage of the world cruise? Also I saw somewhere ( don't know if it was one these boards or not) that Ian McNaught is going to take over as captain of QM2 when Captain Warwick retires. Does anyone know anything about this?

Captain Christopher Rynd was captain for the start of the World Cruise from SOU to NYC, and AFAIK is onboard until Japan, when Captain Nick Bates resumes command. As far as the QM2 is concerened, I don't think we know yet, Captain Bernard Warner has also had command of the QM2 in addition to Commodore Warwick.

Peter

Can anyone tell me who is currently the captain of the QE2 at this stage of the world cruise? Also I saw somewhere ( don't know if it was one these boards or not) that Ian McNaught is going to take over as captain of QM2 when Captain Warwick retires. Does anyone know anything about this?

I believe QE2's current master is Christopher Rynd, formerly of Princess Cruises. It is also my understanding that Nick Bates will assume command sometime during the Grand Dame's world cruise - Hong Kong, I think.

I do not know where Ian McNaught is now, but I hope he returns to QE2. He was Captain for the 2003 transatlantic I sailed on and all aboard who met him found him to be accessible and charming.

Happy Sailings,

A fellow QE2 enthusiast and addict!

I would love to see Ian McNaught and Nick Bates sharing the QE2.

Send Rynd and his bells off somewhere else!

What does the reference "Rynd and his bells" mean? I recall reading somewhere that at noon Rynd rings bells instead of the ship's horn to signal 12 noon! The noonday horn is one of my favorite daily routines on QE2. In fact, I often go up to the observation deck below the bridge to hear it better.

If this is the case, then I agree with Kindlychap!

Kindlychap, have you sailed with Christopher Rynd? I found him very personable on the recent Transatlantic and I think observing old traditions like eight bells (harks back to sailing days..) are a nice part of what Cunard is about....but some people only want what is new and shiny, I'm sure not you.....IIRC we had both eight bells and the horn on the recent crossing....

Peter

Kindlychap, have you sailed with Christopher Rynd? I found him very personable on the recent Transatlantic and I think observing old traditions like eight bells (harks back to sailing days..) are a nice part of what Cunard is about....but some people only want what is new and shiny, I'm sure not you.....IIRC we had both eight bells and the horn on the recent crossing....

Peter

Peter,

I had lunch with Captain Rynd back in November before he went off to join QE2 and we discussed this bit about the 'bells at noon'.

The reason he switched to the eight bells at noon because this is the way it was traditionally done on all Cunarders back through history. Of course everyone likes to hear the horn... especially the QE2's horn... it being the best in the world! :) (And much better than her big sister's!!!!) Anyhow I suggested that to please everyone a combination of bells and horn would be great. (This is the way it is done on SAGA ROSE.) Anyhow, he liked the idea and I guess that is what is now being done on board.

Stephen

I'm not objecting to the presence of bells, but the absence of the whistle.

If he's taken on board the need for the whistle then I'm a happy chap!

I fully accept the bells as traditional Merchant Marine, but the whistle at noon goes back to at least the Aquitania.

Perhaps a bit more time on board has taught him that there is a QE2 way - and other ways. And the QE2 regulars know that the other way to the QE2 way is the wrong way.

I'm not objecting to the presence of bells, but the absence of the whistle. And the QE2 regulars know that the other way to the QE2 way is the wrong way.

Kindlychap, I take it thats a 'no' to you having sailed with Captain Rynd...I sailed with Captain Bates...on the CARONIA.....

..Of course, the QE2 has never had a whistle (they fit those to tugboats), but a horn, so you can't have missed the QE2's 'whistle';) !

I noticed you sailed on the Midnatsol from Kirkenes to Bergen - is that one of the 'traditional' ships? I've done both 'Traditional' (MS Lofoten) and 'New' (MS Kong Harald)....round trips - you get to see stuff in one direction you don't see in the other - but have wondered whether a cruise ship trip like the QE2's to Norway would pale by comparison - what did you think?

Peter

We have sailed with Rynd. On last year's Canadian Crossing.

The Midnatsol is one of the newest of the ships - she's very comfortable but I have to say that I found the food uninspiring.

There is no comparison with the QE2 - so it is pointless making one. Chalk and cheese.....

One thing that really surprised me about the Midnatsol was that - for a ship that would be operating in the artic summer a lot - the curtains were completely inadequate, ending about two inches above the ground and therefore there was a huge about of light leakage.

Hopefully this won't be a problem on the QE2 in the Midnight Sun!

I'm not objecting to the presence of bells, but the absence of the whistle.

If he's taken on board the need for the whistle then I'm a happy chap!

Then I guess you would be happy now!;)

I fully accept the bells as traditional Merchant Marine, but the whistle at noon goes back to at least the Aquitania.

Very interesting. What is your source? Captain Rynd based his call about the bells after reading several Cunard captain's biographies. I'll pass it on for sure.

The blowing of the whistle or horn at noon it no so much a time check for those that hear it but is a way to test that the apparatus is working. With air horns the response is immediate. Steam operated whistles/horns are a different matter as the steam line must be opened and the old whistles usually burped and farted and hissed before they could give a good blast.

Very dangerous situation actually. Two ships meeting end on. One ship gave a blast on the whistle that she was going to alter course to starboard. The whistle didn't work so the OOW gave another tug on the whistle lanyard. The other ship didn't hear the sound of the whistle but did observe two puffs of steam coming from the other ship... which indicates a turn to port. The observing ship quickly altered to port as the first ship went to starboard and they both collided!

Stephen

I think that is a bit harsh!

I cannot imagine a warmer welcome than the one Capt. Rynd extended to me and all the other members of this board who were on board for last month's crossing. I for one hope he stays with Cunard as I look forward to sailing with him again, and I have no particular desire to sail in a Princess ship these days. (I have nothing against Princess as a company; their current ships are just far too big for my taste as cruise ships. I'd take them for a unique itinerary or if I were offered a really great fare, but that's about it.)

I suggested that to please everyone a combination of bells and horn would be great.

Now then, you know you can't please everyone ;) !

Actually, there were a few people on our crossing moaning that the bells were being rung at all. These self-appointed experts on Cunard tradition decided that since during the Good Old Days - the Good Old Days meaning 2004 ;) ! - it was the horn and nothing else, that it obviously should be so forever.

I guess that is what is now being done on board.

Indeed it is. It works very nicely and even if it doesn't please everyone, it at least pleases most people...

I noticed you sailed on the Midnatsol from Kirkenes to Bergen - is that one of the 'traditional' ships?

MIDNATSOL has the interesting distinction of being newer than new! They used to have three types of vessels on the Hurtigruten - "Traditional", "Mid-Generation", and "New". Then when the next generation came out - FINNMARKEN, TROLLFJORD, and MIDNATSOL - they came up with "Millennium" as the name for the fourth type. So the "New Ships" (and they are still caled "New") are actually not the newest!

Presumably in 20 years when the "New" ships are the oldest ones in the fleet, they'll still be caling them "New" ;) ...

Captain Rynd based his call about the bells after reading several Cunard captain's biographies.

Clearly he did his homework, but the "tradition experts" still felt they knew better than the captains whose biographies he read ;) !

We sailed three times (if not more) with Capt. Rynd while he was still a Staff Captain with Princess, and found him not only approachable, but very friendly and accommodating (sp).

He is somewhat a traditionalist, and I suspect a disciplinarian, but again very approachable.

I'm sure if someone asked for both the Noon Bells & the Noon Whistle (horn), it would be done. I for one love the whistle (horn).

I have sailed on QE2 on quite a few occasions and was on board again on the cruise to Iceland and Norway last summer. I found Captain Rynd and his wife to be most approachable and friendly. He was frequently doing his rounds and chatting to fellow passengers and anxious to do things 'the Cunard way'!

My source for this was a book written by the captain of Aquitania - and reprinted in a PSL printing some while back. Found a copy second hand on Ebay.

I'll look it out and post the title and author when I get a minute.

With regard to Captain Rynd. I will take the comments of those on this board on board (so to speak!) and next time he's on when we're on I'll try and start with a clean sheet in terms of my views. If I decide I'm wrong, I promise to come and eat humble pie here. Deal?

One small point that I will make is that leaving St. Johns (Newfoundland) we had a terrific send off from a lot of local boats, all of whom were hooting away at us. I'd have given them a few long blasts of the whistle myself, which is what I think they wanted.

Contrast this with Nick Bates, when we passed the Artemis in Flaam. Lots of whistle (from both ships) with Bates on the bridge wing saluting (standing on the little step at the end) and then leaning over and saying to those below "wave to the poor people".

I just sensed he was better at enjoying himself! He certainly likes the whistle!

But, as I said, I'll give Captain Rynd another chance. I do seem to be in the minority.

My source for this was a book written by the captain of Aquitania - and reprinted in a PSL printing some while back. Found a copy second hand on Ebay.

Is this the one by a Captain Diggle? There are more than a few of thse Cunard captain's biographies!

Captain Bennell told me he was going to write his autobiography. I asked him was he was going to call it. Queen's Company.... Captain of the Queen's.... The Queens and I.... I Captained the Big Ships.... being some of the titles used before. Bennell, after a few moments in deep thought says, "I think I'll call it 'The Wasted Years'!"

I just sensed he was better at enjoying himself! He certainly likes the whistle!

"Captain, what were you doing when your ship ran aground?" I was blowing the whistle sir!":eek:

Stephen

Archived