Car Rental In Naples?

Michele - we did a private tour there and when driving in the city of Naples, in the business area near the port, it was enough to make your hair stand on end. The driver with more nerve got the right of way...otherwise it didn't seem that rules of the road applied. Have a look at Frommer's comments on this site: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/naples/0058010002.html

Once outside of Naples it was a little saner and the drive along the Amalfi coast was fine - although lots of narrow curves to negotiate, heavy traffic in some areas, lots of buses, but if you are used to driving in heavy traffic, then it would probably be OK.

This is the only port that we hired a private driver and I felt that it was worth every cent. We teamed up with 6 others and had a fun day there.

Hopefully someone will post who has actually driven there....it would be interesting to read a first hand account, and maybe they will have more positive info:)

We are interested in the answer too. We are going on the Carnival Liberty and will be in Naples on a Sunday. From my research the only car rentals open at the times that we want are at the airport. Hertz and Budget are at the airport and Avis has 2 other locations in the city.

How far is the airport from the port?

Heather

I have been to Naples twice & I would not even walk across the road outside the dock! We took the ferry to Sorrento, very nice ride then the train back to Pompei & Herculaneum & again back to Naples with the No 1 tram back to dock. I also answered a similar Q to this about Rome, no way would I hire a car in Italian major city's, as said above they have no respect for rules or road signs!

Archived