what to do in antigua?

LICRUISER2GO

We took a cab for the 45 minute drive to the Allegro Resort (Hotel Chain Name...like "Hyatt") of Pineapple Beach ($4 pp). In Antigua they do cabs much like some other islands where the first person you see when getting off the ship sizes up your group and determines your needs.

Antigua_Cab_waiting_area.jpg

They have cabs and vans of various sizes and at 9:00am when we came ashore there were plenty of them to accomodate a group of your size.

Once there, we were immediately taken aback by the beauty of the place and it's lush tropical landscaping.

Antigua_Check_In_Area.jpg

Included in the $45 pp "daypass" price is breakfast and lunch. Breakfast is a buffet with a made to order omelette and waffle station. Lunch is off a menu with a nice variety.

Antigua_Dining_room.jpg

Also included is an open bar that features mixed drinks, a rum punch that is out of this world garnished with native Nutmeg and both Red Stripe and Wadadli (local brew) beer on tap.

On the beach your chair and umbrella are included but water sports like wave runners, sailboats and the like are extra.

A must for all age groups is to climb the rock stairs to the gazebo perched atop a cliff overlooking the entire resort and beach.

Antigua_Overlook1.jpg

I was in complete relaxation mode and had no desire to do any exploring but was dragged into it by my girls (19 and 17). I'm glad they did as it offered some of the most breathtaking views of our whole cruise

We stayed until our prearranged pick up time of 2:30pm. The 45 minute return ride made it easy for us to reboard the ship by 3:30 but we didn't have to be aboard until 5:30 for our 6:00 sailaway. Next time I'll stay longer. We wandered around the shopping area by the pier but it was one of those areas where I did not feel comfortable straying too far.

There is a pharmacy/liquor store close to the pier where provisions can be purchased as well as a two story mall-like area but that's about where the tourist area ended.

There are 365 beaches on Antigua, one for each day of the year. The great majority rest inside the calm, protected waters of the island's Caribbean side. All are open to the public, and so the challenge posed to a visitor is not how to gain access to the best of them but simply how to locate the beach that suits one's taste. Exploring on your own is the best way to do this, although it is wise to bring a companion along to particularly isolated locations. Antiguans are understandably reluctant to divulge their own favorites, so here are a number of good starters. Be sure to acquire specific directions before you go.

We went to Pineapple last June based on CruiseFever's review above and others who posted about it. We loved it and felt it was well worth the $45 plus cab fare. Be sure to tell your taxi driver that you are going to the Pineapple resort. We just said "Pineapple" and ended up at the public beach, but we figured it out and told the driver our mistake. It was only a couple of minutes away.

Hi Licruiser2go,

The suggestion to go to Pineapple beach is a good one if you just want to sit on a beach and have a hotel at your disposal. We go to Antigua every January for 3 - 4 weeks and here is my suggestion if you wish to see more of the island: you can just barter with the taxi drivers that will be just outside the cruise ship docks for the best price they will give you to tour the whole island (and they will barter with you). You can drive around the whole island in less than a day no problem as it is only 15 miles across. And yes there are 365 beautiful beaches. The best is Half Moon Bay and one you should see if you choose this option. Be warned though, there is no hotel at present as the one there was destroyed 11 years ago and was never rebuilt so no bathrooms! There is however, Harry's Bar at the entrance and he is a great host with great rum, hospitality and burgers! He even lets you make your own drinks! This is a fabulous beach with great big waves to play in or go to the east side (left) for nice calm waters. Most people get dropped off by their taxi drivers for an hour or two.

Other great things to see:

Nelson Dock Yard - very interesting

Shirley's Heights - highest point to look out over the island & Eric Claptons house! If there on Sunday or Thursday, they have a steel band.

Fig Tree Drive - lush rain forest

Betty's Hope - an actual running sugar mill and museum

Devil's Bridge - near Pineapple Beach hotel

I hope this was helpful. Have a great time as I am sure you will.:)

Michele

Here's my .02 on the Pineapple resort. The Beach was nice but pretty crowded. It can, depending on the time of year, get kinda windy and the water can get choppy. We went in February and you couldn't really do much in the water it was so choppy. The resort itself was nice and for $45 you can eat and drink to your hearts content. The food, I thought, was just so so and was buffet style and left out in the open where "critters' could fly by and in, so I wasn't too happy to see that. All in all it was a good day, not the best, but good.

Ok, now a couple words of warning: First, the taxi drivers when you get off of the ship are VERY aggressive and don't like to take no for an answer. They will be all over you from the time you get off of the ship until you pick one. If you keep walking a bit, you will come accross some of the "old timers" that aren't aggressive. They have good cars/vans and are very good tour guides as well. Maybe other people are used to this type of behavior from taxi drivers on other islands, but I have not found this to be the case anywhere but Antiqua.

Second, call the Pineapple ahead of time and tell them you want a day pass. We did this, and even then they tried to tell me when we arrived that they were full. I had to do a lot of talking to get them to honor our reservation, and they did.

We went with Antigua Paddles, a kayaking, snokeling trip. Conrad, Jennie and James were wonderful. It was a three-hour tour which was perfect. You do a short kayak with Conrad sharing info so it's a mini-eco tour, then after a short boat ride to Bird Island we were able to snorkel. Very fun tour with a small group. Contact them at antiquapaddles.com

We have to wait til November, but have chosen to go with Lawrence of Antigua which was recommended on the Ports of Call boards. I emailed him and received a reply that he will email in Oct to finalize the deal. It's a tour of the island, shopping and time at beach.. You do not pay until end of tour...:cool:

Archived