Advice for first timer greatly appreciated

Norfolk Brit

We are booked in a hull balcony (B1, deck 6) stateroom for the Med in September. Having read various posts, these would seem to perhaps be somewhat enclosed for a (hopefully) warm weather trip, and I am wondering whether to upgrade to an A2 (on deck 11).

Would anyone out there be kind enough to offer their opinions on the comparison between the two, and also any views on deck 11 versus deck 6, fore cabin versus aft, and port side versus starboard (and on any other subject you very helpful people feel would make our trip even more enjoyable).

As is probably obvious this is our first cruise, and I would hugely welcome any opinions, help and advice.

quote/Would anyone out there be kind enough to offer their opinions on the comparison between the two, and also any views on deck 11 versus deck 6, fore cabin versus aft, and port side versus starboard (and on any other subject you very helpful people feel would make our trip even more enjoyable)/quote

Having sailed Queen Mary 2 twice on Five Deck in an "in-hull balcony," I would enclourage you to upgrade to a full balcony. The in-hull balcony is virutally useless. In fact, if a balcony is not a priority, I would take one of the C-1 cabins with a window instead. If you decide on a balcony, be mindful not to book Eight Deck as these balconies are obstructed by the lifeboats. Midships is always best, but aft or forward should not be a problem at all.

Enjoy your voyage!

It depends on what you like about a balcony.

Laying down and see the ocean - only from an A grade balcony with has a glass rail. (Actualy there is a small opening in the in-hull balconies, too, but this does not really count.)

Standing at the rail and look down to the ocean - only from an in-hull balcony, as you look down to the promenade deck from the others.

Getting sun - no big difference, for both types it just depends on the relative position of sun and ship. Anyway the QM2 offers huge open deck spaces for this purpose.

Privacy - in-hull balcony only.

Location - obviously deck 11 is higher up, potentialy more movement, yet a better overview; deck 6 might offer a better ocean feeling.

IMO deck 6 is more convenient as you have just three stairs down to the bars and restaurants, one up to the promenade and two up to the pool deck, yet somebody else might use the elevators only anyway or prefer to use the the top deck.

Anyway congratulation for choosing the QM2 for first cruise. Enjoy.

port side versus starboard

The 'sunny side of the ship' is Port westbound and starboard eastbound. I found a deck 8 'obstructed balcony' not that obstructed (the boats are at least 6 feet, if not more, from the railing edge) and perfect for sunning. There is not a lot to see on a Transatlantic....

Peter

Having sailed Queen Mary 2 twice on Five Deck in an "in-hull balcony," I would encourage you to upgrade to a full balcony. The in-hull balcony is virutally useless. In fact, if a balcony is not a priority, I would take one of the C-1 cabins with a window instead.

I disagree with bobby. As Carlmm said, it all depends on what you want from your balcony. If you are a lobster, then opt for an A grade balcony. If like us, you prefer to only sunbath for short periods, you may prefer the in hull type. Of course, being steel, you cannot see the sea when sitting down in the in hull type, but we do not intend to be in our stateroom or on the balcony that much! However, it is great to have a balcony, especially as it gives the stateroom a much more airy feel. Also the privacy is superb and they are much more sheltered in sunny but windy conditions. The sea is not so remote, and if you are next to the dock, the in hull type are better for waving to friends, and for watching the antics below! We have booked the same trip as yourself, and again opted for in hull. Perhaps we'll see you there.

We were delighted with our "obstructed view" balcony in cabin 8095 on our recent cruise. It was between two of the life boats, so it wasn't totally obsctructed, and we had fun watching them raise and lower the tender (number 17- the big white one was outside our balcony) It was almost like they were putting on a private show for us! We applauded (along with our neighbors) a few times!

Then too, you have to think, how much time are you going to spend in your cabin? Some don't spend any time there except sleeping and bathing. Others want to sit in privacy reading a book. I could gaze out over the ocean in the space between the two boats. You could also do so from a hull, standing up. I rather think if you were gazing out, looking for other ships, or star gazing, you would do do leaning up against the balcony. not sitting down. I also understand the hulls are just a wee bit bigger. Because they are all the way out to the side of the ship at her widest point, they're a little roomier. The glass balconies are set back a bit. And as several pointed out, they aren't very private, and they overlook the promenade deck. Well, I don't think I would be doing the horizontal cha-cha on any of them! But I have been known to rush out (fresh from the shower) when there was a full rainbow, end to end, extending below the waterline after a brief squall. I did NOT take time to put on clothes. Neither did I lean over the railing! <G> But that was on a different ship. Think about what you think you might be doing most of the time. Are you an active couple? joiners, socializers? Or do you like your private quiet moments. That may give a first timer an idea of whether they would be more inclined to hang out on the balcony or rarely see the inside of their room door, unless they are on their way out of it!

At any rate, have a wonderful time, whatever you decide!

Karie,

Who would cruise in the bilge room if that was all they had! Well, but never an inside cabin! <LOL>

Again, my thanks to all of you; these varied opinions are so helpful. The reason I am trying to get this trip perfect is because my lovely husband has a rather daunting birthday in July, and it is his surprise present; he comes from seafaring stock in Southampton and used to watch the old liners going in and out v. wistfully as a boy (grandfather on Titanic - got off, by the way). Have to keep this secret until six weeks before we go, which is already proving rather interesting.

Further views very much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

re: Sunny side.

I know we are heading east which would mean the sunset is behind the ship, but I think there is a bit of an angle in the heading? Heading eastbound FROM New York, which side would see more of the Sunset?

We are about to book a B-1

I know we are heading east which would mean the sunset is behind the ship, but I think there is a bit of an angle in the heading? Heading eastbound FROM New York, which side would see more of the Sunset?
We had a dining table next to a large window on the port side on our June eastbound and once we cleared the fog bank after the first couple of days, we watched the sun set every night thereafter. It did not set a straight 90 degrees outside the window, but rather off toward the stern of the ship by at least 45 degrees. In September, I believe the sun will be setting in a more southerly direction, which means it may end up setting behind the stern altogether.

Paul

Midships is always best, but aft or forward should not be a problem at all.
This is true up to a point - when the seas are calm. We were in a C2 forward, and ran into heavy seas mid-voyage. The pitch was *very* noticeable and dealt a major bout of seasickness to my wife. It was enough that I had trouble getting dressed without keeping one hand on a piece of furniture to steady myself. Of course, everyone is different with susceptibility to seasickness.

Paul

We're doing the in-hull for our cruise but I can see the arguments for the upgrade to a glass balcony. I'm going with the thought that we'll enjoy the view standing up and looking out but at least we'll have some privacy in our enclosure. I figure we'll be either exploring the ship or enjoying our ports of call so we can put up with the issue of not being able to sit down and enjoy the ocean from a chair. Now if we're lucky enough to get an upgrade................otherwise you just have to decide what you can put up with.

Archived