Taking Gifts for Island People

*Shell*

Has anyone taken gifts for the Island People and children?

Are there any rules against it? I want to take lots of photos so thought

a little treat might be a nice thank you gift.

I was thinking about things like snack size fredo froggs/minties, fantails...

Aussie souveniers.... koalas/kangaroos stuff

When I went to Bali years and years ago, we took old pairs of jeans and lip gloss. The balinese women loved them.

Any suggestions for Vanuatu?

ta,

*Shell*

Many of the photo opportunity stops have little donation boxes. We put a dollar in each. the kids are so adorable.

not sure about chocolate seeing as you"cant take food ashore!!)

also remeber these islanders see tourists several times a week and i think they make quite a bit of money from us, I dont think they are as poor as we think they are.

what about chalks, books crayons (not wax ones they would melt too easily)

little clips for girls hair, head bands.Football if you have room(and play with them). we are taking a footie with us.

Many of the photo opportunity stops have little donation boxes. We put a dollar in each. the kids are so adorable.

not sure about chocolate seeing as you"cant take food ashore!!)

remeber thalso ese islanders see tourists several times a week and i think they make quite a bit of money from us, I dont think they are as poor as we think they are.

what about chalks, books crayons (not wax ones they would melt too easily)

little clips for girls hair, head bands.Football if you have room(and play with them). we are taking a footie with us.

Karon,

I think I agree with you re: poor bit and making money. While at Champagne Bay I bought a beautiful sarong. They told me all goods sold were made by them. When we got back on the ship I looked at it all and notice a "made in China" tag:rolleyes: There's one sucker born every day:p Anyway we loved the island so much I thought at least the money would go to something good. I also realised the ships don't get there that often so I wasn't bothered about it. Had a good laugh at my expense.:D

Kerri

We have taken pens ruler pencils and have given then to the children.

One older lady took a big bag of cloth's every time she went and these went to an area that needed then.

Suey and I gave a little girl a DVD to take home as she said the family had a player and from this actrion we have now a loverly little penfriend.

Her father is doctor in hospital and a loverly girl

Archived