Guarantee Question--Help Please!!

jdaa

I am not an experienced cruiser, and have a question about booking. I am ready to book 3 cabins for an upcoming family trip. We can save a LOT of money by booking a guarantee, and no one is particular except one family member is prone to seasickness. Would Celebrity mind if we shuffle cabin assignments within our group to put our seasick person in the most mid-ship cabin (even if that is not the one assigned to her)? Or, will they insist that everyone stay in their assigned cabin? Will they really know or do they care? Thanks!

Now I may be reading too much into your reply, but when you say you "have kids who are not old enough" I wonder if you can answer another question I have. We have two under-21 kids in our group who we'd really like to put together. We were wondering if we could book one adult w/ one teenager in each cabin, and then switch once on board, so that the adults are in one cabin and the teens are in their own cabin. Is that what you did? Will it work? Thanks so much!

How many people per cabin? Are any of them children? Any of them have any ambulatory problems?

Which particular cruise do you have in mind?

The reason I ask is that sometimes you can't book a guarantee for 3 or more in one cabin.

I assume you have "pretended" to book the particular ship/date etc. and you ARE able to get a guarantee for each cabin, so maybe I'm being too much of a worry wart for you.

Have you considered that if you have only 2 per cabin and want to do all your activities together, that one couple may be extremely forward and another 4 decks away aft, etc.

If everyone is not totally dependent on the others, you could just meet up at a particular time and location, but if someone is insecure and insists that everyone be together and leave from one cabin, it might require lots of walking for some of the people?

In general, yes, you can move the people around.

We only have 2 per cabin, the youngest is 14 and all are in good health, so cabin location is not really a concern. Except that I'm wondering if we are on different decks, will they still allow us to put the two teens in together w/ no adult? (It is a 14 year old and 17 year old, both very mature & responsible, so we're comfortable having them on their own. They always have their own hotel rooms when we travel--I just hope that Celebrity doesn't object!)

We booked a separate cabin for our teenage boys on Horizon last year. There was not an issue having the 2 of them in a cabin without an adult, as long as the adults were cruising with them....at least that's what my TA said. Cabins were assigned that way by X, so I guess they were ok with the arrangement. Their cabin was on the same deck as ours, but about 6 cabins away.

Yes, both my kids have been minors when I put them in a separate cabin. Until the older one was 18, I always booked the actual cabin numbers. Since then, I have booked guarantees, but Celebrity (and other cruise lines,) have always seemed to put us on the same deck, and usually right next to each other.

Now I may be reading too much into your reply, but when you say you "have kids who are not old enough" I wonder if you can answer another question I have. We have two under-21 kids in our group who we'd really like to put together. We were wondering if we could book one adult w/ one teenager in each cabin, and then switch once on board, so that the adults are in one cabin and the teens are in their own cabin. Is that what you did? Will it work? Thanks so much!

When our kids were younger (16 and 13 to start actually) we always got them their own cabin (inside) right across from ours and no one ever asked or said anything about it. Our TA always arranged it for us and we never thought twice about it. They liked rooming together and we didn't mind being alone either. On a couple of cruises another teenage friend was with them as well. When you put 3 in a cabin you can average the cost down a bit.

Tom

When we've cruised with the kids our agent has always said that when booking the lines required one adult to be registered for each cabin, but that we could switch once on board. She said this was the cruise lines way of making sure those under 21 were not traveling without an older adult. We've always switched the cabin assignments at customer relations once on board, and never have had any issue doing so.

When the kids were younger we had them in an adjacent or across the hall cabin. The last time the youngest was around 20 and they were a ways away from us.

I have 7 people booked in 3 rooms. We wanted to put our 21 y.o. in a room with our 16 y.o. Celebrity said Coast Guard regs don't allow anyone under 25 to share a room with a minor. They said book the room with an adult in it and work out the sleeping arrangements on board within our group.

To go back to the OP's original question. Be advised that should you book guarantee it is extremely doubtful you will get any mid-ship cabins. If you do buy a lottery ticket also, it's your day. Remember, GTY's are fill in cabins. You get what is left over. Mid-ship cabins will not typically be left over. When you book GTY you must expect that you will get the worst cabin in that category so that you will not be disappointed. Anything better is a bonus.

We were lucky I guess. We booked an inside guarantee at a great price and got a category 9 , the highest category of inside cabins. It was on the sky deck, slightly aft. We booked early (5 or 6 mos. ahead) and was assigned this cabin a few weeks later.

Archived