Christmas and Tuxedos

MeLuvDaSea

This is my first post on the Cunard forum. I have been active on the Carnival side for a little while now. For my first post, I need to ask two questions, both of which have the potential to render me 'flame-bait'. I am only asking because I need this information; please accept these questions for what they are and do not flame me. I do not want to hurt anyone's feelings by asking. Thanks in advance.

First, my wife and I are sailing on the QM2 Dec 9th - 15th. This cruise was chosen as a matter of timing and convenience. Here's the rub: We do not celebrate Christmas at all. I am concerned that the ship will be decorated for that holiday, and not only will this spoil seeing her in all her natural splendor, but our pictures will be 'marred' as well. I am not trying to be insulting; I am only stating this from our point of view. Will the ship be already decorated by that cruise? I have tried searching this topic (as opposed to actually asking) and from what I gather, the crew decorates the ship little by little over time, beginning on the week of Dec. 15th. If this is true, we will be very happy to hear it. Please respond.

Also, I do not own a tuxedo, and do not plan to buy one for this cruise. My wife and I went out and bought a very nice black suit yesterday evening. It is very black and devoid of any pattern, pin-stripes, etc.... This is what I plan to wear on formal nights. Wearing a bowtie is a given, but should I follow through with a cummerbund as well? I will wear a shirt with french cuffs and a nice set of cufflinks. Would the cummerbund look ridiculous with a suit? Should I not try to go for the tuxedo look, and just wear it as a suit (which it is)?

Ok, Cunarders, I am anxious to hear from you. I am looking forward to a very different experience than what we are used to on Carnival. I have even told my wife I believe we shall make this switch permanent (ok, if that happens I will buy a tux). My thinking is that once she's been on the QM2 she will not want to go back to Carnival.

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

Welcome to the Cunard forum. You have chosen a wonderful ship and I think you will have a great cruise.

Cannot help you with your question about Christmas decorations. Hopefully someone else will have the answer.

You will be just fine with your black suit. Do not try to make it look like a tuxedo. You should just wear your shirt with french cuffs and an elegant tie. It does not need to be a bow tie.

There is a wealth of information about the QM2 on this forum. Again, enjoy your cruise.

I would call Cunard and ask about the Christmas decor. They might be able to tell you if it is normal for them to always decorate beginning a certain day.

From the QM2 official website: http://www.cunard.com/FAQ/faq.asp?Cat=&View=ViewArticle&Mode=News&ContentID=3669&LeftNav=&Active=&Sub=&OB=&ArticleID=11

On this page it tells you that men may wear "a tuxedo (alternatively a dark suit) for formal evenings."

I would leave your dark suit as is. Don't try to make it look like something it isn't.

If you do decide to purchase a tuxedo, they can be had new for $100 to $200 on ebay or at shops that rent tuxedos, which is certainly a better price than renting.

Okay. Just what is a "French cuff"?

Never heard the term before, and wonder if it is (like "tuxedo") an American term that us Englishmen have a different name for!

"A French cuff or double cuff is a cuff on a dress shirt which is folded back and then closed with cuff links or silk knots, instead of buttons. Cuff links and silk knots exist solely for shirts with French cuffs."

From: http://www.apparelsearch.com/Definitions/Miscellaneous/french_cuff.htm

If you are going to wear a plain dark suit keep it simple. Doesn't look right with a bow tie. I think that staff will have begun to put up Christmas decorations by the 15th.

David.

Thanks David, and to all who have responded to my questions. As always, the folks on Cruise Critic really do have the answers.

Archived