Future Cruise Credit not covered by insurance!

75snow

We are among the many who will have our Carnival cruise cancelled or rebooked.  If you have the choice between FCC or a refund, be advised the FCC is NOT covered by Carnival's insurance policy. So, if you rebook with FCC and something happens, you just lost the cruise portion of your insurance.

A few year ago, Hurricane Jauquin messed up our cruise and Carnival gave us a 50% FCC which we applied to a cruise the following year.  The night before this cruise, my wife became seriously sick with the flu and I had to call Carnival and cancel. Carnival reimbursed us for the airfare but we lost about $1000 in FCC as FCC is NOT covered by their insurance policy. I appealed my case right up the line to the CEO but to no avail. I hope they've since changed their policy.

Does this apply to third party travel insurance? I purchased a Travelsafe policy and they transferred the policy to my rescheduled cruise. I sent them the invoices for both cruises and they changed the travel date on the policy. Nothing was mentioned about the FCC not being included. 

49 minutes ago, LaRue1975 said:

Does this apply to third party travel insurance? I purchased a Travelsafe policy and they transferred the policy to my rescheduled cruise. I sent them the invoices for both cruises and they changed the travel date on the policy. Nothing was mentioned about the FCC not being included. 

Yep.

As of right now, they are under the impression that you have paid cash for this new cruise, when if fact legally, you have not.

It was your responsibility to tell them, not theirs to ask.

However, if I'm mistaken, please come back and let us all know.

Edited by klfrodo

36 minutes ago, layteacher said:

so when I re-booked it allowed me to add the insurance.. I paid for it again so it wouldnt work? 

Yes. Insurance is almost always non refundable. I'm hoping they will allow folks to change the dates, if they re- book - no one has confirmed that. 

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

Yep.

As of right now, they are under the impression that you have paid cash for this new cruise, when if fact legally, you have not.

It was your responsibility to tell them, not theirs to ask.

However, if I'm mistaken, please come back and let us all know.

Actually they are aware as the FCC was included on the invoice for the new cruise. I do bet your assumptions are correct  though,  I think the policy terms say they do not reimburse for cost that you receive credit to be used later from a travel provider or something like that. 

I hadn’t thought of that so thanks for the heads up. I still haven’t 100% decided whether to take the full refund from Carnival now or stick with my rescheduled cruise plus $600 OBC. So many things to consider, planning a cruise was not supposed to be this hard, lol! 

17 minutes ago, LaRue1975 said:

Actually they are aware as the FCC was included on the invoice for the new cruise. I do bet your assumptions are correct  though,  I think the policy terms say they do not reimburse for cost that you receive credit to be used later from a travel provider or something like that. 

I hadn’t thought of that so thanks for the heads up. I still haven’t 100% decided whether to take the full refund from Carnival now or stick with my rescheduled cruise plus $600 OBC. So many things to consider, planning a cruise was not supposed to be this hard, lol! 

I have the question posted on the Cruise Insurance forum to a well known broker. Hopefully he will see this and come back and post his opinion. He may not though because the situation is very fluid.