We were on SD1 - March 15

JDF

Hi All-

You might call it stupidity or just trying to run from the scourge. Probably both. 
We originally had March 15 - 22 Barbados to St. Maarten and March 22 - 29 St. Maarten to Barbados booked.  Needless to say only one was completed. 
Arrived Barbados on March 13 and when we awoke on the 14th our iPhones were ablaze with news notices of global cruise cancellations. Ugh. But, no email from SD. 
We had several friends from the UK flying in and couldn’t advise them since they were already airborne (not a good word these days). 
Sunday the 15th, I texted Taylor and Silvio and everything was a ‘go’. 
Barbados pier was a mess since several mega ships were in and canceled with no clue what to do with their passengers.

Once onboard Taylor gathered everyone in the Main Salon and advised us of the new itinerary since the majority of ports on our itinerary were closed. All of the Grenadines...St.  Lucia, Bequia, Canouan, Union Island and Mayreau. We were the last boat allowed into St. Lucia and had to anchor near Shenanigans in Canouan since our original location we were not welcomed any longer. 
Once the Level 4 US Travel Advisory went into place, basically ‘shxt  the fan’, Barbados announced they were closing the port (supposedly {not confirmed} there was virus on some anchored boats).  The government announced anyone arriving from the UK or US would be quarantined for 14 days. There was an exception made for SD1 to allow us into port since we had no virus, but, all 52 of us had to go directly to the airport and depart. Transfers were arranged between the port agent and SD, we could not take any independent taxis. 
it was quite sad arriving since Barbados is such an active port to see many ships anchored and view a literal ghost town. 
We were originally booked on JetBlue to JFK, but, they canceled. Fortunately we could purchase a flight via Miami on American. 
It was not a typical Sea Dream, many of the crew were stressed out (understandable). Many challenges to overcome, but, in all (even with this enormous dark cloud), everyone had a good time.

Sea Dream kept trying to sell the next segment with the Lebel 4 travel advisory, which I disagreed with, thus, we canceled (another scramble rebooking flights) prior to their cancellation. 
Many of the crew were traveling home, but, their routing was via Dubai. Dubai enacted a quarantine (even in transit passengers), hence, some of the crew had to return to SD1. 
Sorry to be long winded, but, what an experience which I’ll never forget. 
Stay healthy, strong and safe. 

11 minutes ago, JDF said:

Hi All-

You might call it stupidity or just trying to run from the scourge. Probably both. 
We originally had March 15 - 22 Barbados to St. Maarten and March 22 - 29 St. Maarten to Barbados booked.  Needless to say only one was completed. 
Arrived Barbados on March 13 and when we awoke on the 14th our iPhones were ablaze with news notices of global cruise cancellations. Ugh. But, no email from SD. 
We had several friends from the UK flying in and couldn’t advise them since they were already airborne (not a good word these days). 
Sunday the 15th, I texted Taylor and Silvio and everything was a ‘go’. 
Barbados pier was a mess since several mega ships were in and canceled with no clue what to do with their passengers.

Once onboard Taylor gathered everyone in the Main Salon and advised us of the new itinerary since the majority of ports on our itinerary were closed. All of the Grenadines...St.  Lucia, Bequia, Canouan, Union Island and Mayreau. We were the last boat allowed into St. Lucia and had to anchor near Shenanigans in Canouan since our original location we were not welcomed any longer. 
Once the Level 4 US Travel Advisory went into place, basically ‘shxt  the fan’, Barbados announced they were closing the port (supposedly {not confirmed} there was virus on some anchored boats).  The government announced anyone arriving from the UK or US would be quarantined for 14 days. There was an exception made for SD1 to allow us into port since we had no virus, but, all 52 of us had to go directly to the airport and depart. Transfers were arranged between the port agent and SD, we could not take any independent taxis. 
it was quite sad arriving since Barbados is such an active port to see many ships anchored and view a literal ghost town. 
We were originally booked on JetBlue to JFK, but, they canceled. Fortunately we could purchase a flight via Miami on American. 
It was not a typical Sea Dream, many of the crew were stressed out (understandable). Many challenges to overcome, but, in all (even with this enormous dark cloud), everyone had a good time.

Sea Dream kept trying to sell the next segment with the Lebel 4 travel advisory, which I disagreed with, thus, we canceled (another scramble rebooking flights) prior to their cancellation. 
Many of the crew were traveling home, but, their routing was via Dubai. Dubai enacted a quarantine (even in transit passengers), hence, some of the crew had to return to SD1. 
Sorry to be long winded, but, what an experience which I’ll never forget. 
Stay healthy, strong and safe. 

Edited by JES4845
Didn’t type reply

Thanks for sharing ... hope others got home OK too.

Know crew worried about being quarantined upon arrival in Lisbon or Malaga and then again in their home country.  Those SD2 let go in San Juan were lucky relatively so as I’ve heard they got home before things tightened even more.  Those crossing now or will soon on SD1 have a tougher path to home as everything tightens all around the world, including getting to and within their home countries.  Must be super stressful not to know about their futures which others in the hospitality sector are also going though, as are we all in our own ways ... be well. 

JDF, thanks for the information.  We got off SDI on March 15 in Barbados.  Taylor was saying that they expected less than fifty guests for the next voyage.  They were offering a 25% discount to anyone who wanted to do a back to back.  I do not know if anyone took them up on the offer.  Most people, including the four of us, were concerned about any airline stoppages back to the states.  The foreign nationals were especially concerned and were making some convoluted itineraries to get home, like via Panama.  Our German guests were not allowed to disembark in Grenada due to what was going on in Europe. They were upset but understood what was going on.  Actually, they didn't miss much. 

I may be misreading your post but it looks like you did a Barbados back to back and never got to St. Maarten.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

The crew did not appear too anxious but I believe that they were thinking about what to expect in the next few weeks and was their underlying concern.  

We had a great cruise and yachting experience and would do it again.  

No issues whatsoever.  Some rough seas at times but nothing outrageous. Great food and wonderful service.

Bill and Kathi

1 hour ago, ssawjo said:

JDF, thanks for the information.  We got off SDI on March 15 in Barbados.  Taylor was saying that they expected less than fifty guests for the next voyage.  They were offering a 25% discount to anyone who wanted to do a back to back.  I do not know if anyone took them up on the offer.  Most people, including the four of us, were concerned about any airline stoppages back to the states.  The foreign nationals were especially concerned and were making some convoluted itineraries to get home, like via Panama.  Our German guests were not allowed to disembark in Grenada due to what was going on in Europe. They were upset but understood what was going on.  Actually, they didn't miss much. 

I may be misreading your post but it looks like you did a Barbados back to back and never got to St. Maarten.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

The crew did not appear too anxious but I believe that they were thinking about what to expect in the next few weeks and was their underlying concern.  

We had a great cruise and yachting experience and would do it again.  

No issues whatsoever.  Some rough seas at times but nothing outrageous. Great food and wonderful service.

Bill and Kathi

Hi Bill and Kathi-

Correct, the original itinerary never made it to St. Maarten due to the closure of the port.  We then did a Barbados round trip.  Also booked the following week which was another Barbados round trip.

As well Taylor and corporate was trying to sell the second week with the following incentives:

-25% off the fare

-Free Wifi

-Free Laundry

-Upgrade to the Premium Wine Package

No rough seas for us, weather was perfect.  Just a little other drama........

6 minutes ago, JDF said:

Hi Bill and Kathi-

Correct, the original itinerary never made it to St. Maarten due to the closure of the port.  We then did a Barbados round trip.  Also booked the following week which was another Barbados round trip.

As well Taylor and corporate was trying to sell the second week with the following incentives:

-25% off the fare

-Free Wifi

-Free Laundry

-Upgrade to the Premium Wine Package

No rough seas for us, weather was perfect.  Just a little other drama........

Thanks for the clarification.  Funny, when we left home on March 5, things were relatively normal.  We returned on March 15 to a different world.  A world devoid of toilet paper and pasta.

Stay safe,

Bill