New to cruising - Excursions in Belize and Costa Maya?

jltnova

My husband and I will be taking our first cruise on the March 12 Explorer of the Seas. I was on a cruise once before but it was 23 years ago when I was 5 so I'm definitely considering myself new to this.

I'm curious to find out more about the excursions available in Belize and Costa Maya and who is reputable to book through. I've heard it's cheaper to not book through the ship. Also, if I book outside the cruise line how easy is it to meet up with the group you sign up with or to navigate by ones self.

Thanks!

Jen

Jen, My DH and I will be cruising with you - from Miami on March 12th!

I've been checking out various things, and I've already booked a really nice cave tubing thing for Belize. We're 50% by booking it on our own, rather than through the ship! We've done this lots of times...with no trouble at all. Check it out: www.belizeweb.com/cave-tubing to see the photos. I just emailed the guy (Yhony) and he responded immediately.

For Costa Maya, I think we're just going to rent a golf cart to tool around the city...and get a feel for the community on our own. Then, we'll head for the beach, and have lunch. I understand that the massages in Costa Maya are particularly low priced and exceptional. So...we may check that out as well.

By the way...have you signed up for our Meet and Mingle yet? You're going to love cruising...we sure do!

We went with Xstream Cave Tubing in Belize (not through the ship) It was cool but arduous. We barely made it back in time for the last tender.

In Costa Maya, just take a cab to Majahual; it's $3 there and $2 back pp.

Nice beach, nice restaurants, very inexpensive food, drinks, beach massages, etc!

If you would like to visit some Mayan ruins, I suggest that you go with David and Ivan. http://www.chacchobenruins.com/ We did their tour last spring and had a fabulous time. Afterwards we spent the afternoon at the beach in Majahual. Here are some pictures from our day in Costa Maya: http://community.webshots.com/album/527685047YCNWgf

Check out the Belize board for some ideas for cave tubing. This is the only place in the Caribbean where you can do that excursion.

Have a great cruise!

Hi,

Just got back from a Western Carib. cruise on Enchantment on Saturday. All the excursions were sold out on the ship so I did something I had never done before and found a tour guide on land. Boy did I luck out with Phil! There were four of us plus some others on the tour. He did and outstanding job. He was polite, personable and extremely informative. He had been through months of training and grew up around the island. He grandmother was a Pricipal of a school, his father a preacher and his mother a teacher so he is very well informed. After seeing the Mayan Ruins and Rainforest he showed us a well done DVD of the history and culture of Belize. AFter that we went through downtown Belize (not a real great site, but interesting). All this for only $35.00 per person, it would have been about $78.00 PP through the cruise ship. If you would like his contact information, email me I would be happy to pass it along.

aMY

Amymacc@comast.net

Archived