How are NCL's teen programs compared to other lines?

meganharper

Hello all,

Looking for anyone with experience with teen cruisers, especially on NCL.

I will be sailing Norweigan Joy to Alaska on July 4th, and it will be my first NCL cruise (our previous one on April 4 was cancelled due to COVID-19).

I have taken one Carnival, two Disney, and two Royal Caribbean cruises, and I enjoyed Royal's programs the most. That may come as a surprise to some, as Disney caters specifically to children and families, but I found their activities to be a bit repetitive. Royal has all-day activities within the teen club, but also exclusive teen times for Ice Skating, Flowrider, Ultimate Abyss, etc. I also liked that they separated the teens into age groups,  12-14 and 15-17.

From what I've seen in my research on NCL so far, there is no age group separation, just 13-17. The different teen club itineraries I've looked at included very generic activities and no exclusive times for ship activities. I will be 17 years old at the time of my sailing, and it is a bit frustrating to me that I will have to participate in activities with 13-year-olds. That almost completely discourages me from even going to the teen club at all, even though I know it is a great place for new people.

All of this being said, I'd like to hear from anyone with experience with teen cruisers. What are your thoughts and opinions? Any tips?

Hi there, 

For the Joy, I believe the Entourage (teen club) is quite a small space, but I heard that the staff actually take the teens out of the Entourage area more often than not to do activities around the ship.  Not sure if that helps your concerns at all, but you can probably sign up and gauge how it works and how many 16/17 year olds there are.  Worst case, I guess you ditch it, but I think it makes sense to at least register and give it a chance.  If there are other 16/17 year olds that you meet, I'm guessing you may (collectively) decide to ditch it anyway.  Good luck!

Edited by GettotheSun
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, meganharper said:

Hello all,

Looking for anyone with experience with teen cruisers, especially on NCL.

I will be sailing Norweigan Joy to Alaska on July 4th, and it will be my first NCL cruise (our previous one on April 4 was cancelled due to COVID-19).

All of this being said, I'd like to hear from anyone with experience with teen cruisers. What are your thoughts and opinions? Any tips?

As mentioned, you don't have to participate in the program.  Actually, you won't be: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/live-blog/2020-04-09-coronavirus-news-n1179786/ncrd1180751#liveBlogHeader

11 minutes ago, nelsonewong said:

As mentioned, you don't have to participate in the program.  Actually, you won't be: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/live-blog/2020-04-09-coronavirus-news-n1179786/ncrd1180751#liveBlogHeader

I am well aware of the risk that my sailing may be cancelled, though the order could be cancelled if conditions improve.

Edited by meganharper

26 minutes ago, meganharper said:

I am well aware of the risk that my sailing may be cancelled, though the order could be cancelled if conditions improve.

It has been extended indefinitely.  But if and when you do sail, you'll probably enjoy it better exploring on your own.

Edited by nelsonewong
added