Question for New Yorkers

jane02

Hello,

Sorry this is not a cruise related question. Ive noticed there are lots of New Yorkers on these boards so I hope you can help me.

I am coming to New York for the first time in early August for a relatives wedding.

Where to stay?:confused:

My husband wants to stay at the Mandarin Oriental. Is that a good choice? He has travelled to New York many times over the years and always stayed at the Plaza but we believe that is being turned into appartments. Cost is not an issue.We like to stay somewhere great when we travel and really enjoy ourselves.

Thanks

Jane;)

HI Jane02,

I'm sure the Mandarin Oriental is excellent. It's fairly new so I haven't had any friends who've stayed there yet.

Perhaps there are some comments on www.tripadvisor.com

Yes, sadly, the Plaza is gone and us New Yorkers mourn it's passing.

Some other high end hotels you might want to look at are the Peninsula, the St. Regis, the Mark, the Regency, the Lowell. These are all midtown/uptown and are elegant hotels.

BTW, where's the wedding? We got married at the Regency and it was wonderful.

If you're interested in staying downtown in a more trendy area, you could try the Soho Grand or the Tribeca Grand. In the Meatpacking district there's the new Ganesvoort Hotel - though I have to say that judging by the staff I encountered, they were more interested in how *they* look than by how well *you're* served.

If you have any other questions, I"d be happy to give you my feedback.

BTW, I LOVE Melbourne and unfortunately, we would have been there again next week, but had to cancel our trip. We were booked in our favorite hotel, the Windsor (though we also like the Sofitel & enjoyed the Tilba once) and we had dinner resy's at Vue du Monde. Also was hoping to go back to our favorite's MoMo's and Ezard at Adelphi. (hopefully we can reschedule for later this year!)

Jane

Hello,

Where to stay?:confused:

My husband wants to stay at the Mandarin Oriental. Is that a good choice? Jane;)

Not a New Yorker but I've stayed at lots of hotels in NYC because I travel there quite frequently.

BTW, The Plaza will eventually re-open with 150 hotel rooms and will keep intact the Palm Court, Oak Bar, and The Oak Room. Not sure about the ballrooms.

The Mandarin Oriental is the ultimate NYC hotels! It is definitely one of the top ten.

Here are my picks for the best hotels in NYC

St.Regis (my favorite)

Four Seasons

The Pierre (also Four Seasons)

Plaza Athenee

The Mark

The Carlyle

Ritz Carlton Central Park

Trump Hotel

The Penninsula

Any one of the above will put you in one of the best hotels in Manhattan.

Thanks so much for the replies. Looks like the Mandarin Oriental is a good choice.

Jane - Im glad you like Melbourne so much. The Windsor is such a beautiful hotel but the Park Hyatt is also very good. I also love Momo's - they have the best deserts. Hopefully you will be able to reschedule for another time. We are gearing up for the Commonwealth Games at the moment so everything is getting a "lick & polish"!

I am really looking forward to my trip to New York. I cannot recall where the wedding is being held as I have not yet got the invitation but my nieces fiancees family are planning a HUGE affair - nothing like we have here in little old Melbourne!:D I am so looking forward to the shopping.

Any suggestions??

Jane

Another question:confused:

I have some other family members who are also travelling to New York. They are also looking for accomodation but need three rooms, airconditioning, private bathroom, fairly central and not too expensive:cool: . This is for 85 year old granny and teenage grand daughter, 2 little girls and their dad, and mother and father of the bride. Any web sites or ideas would be very helpful.

I know its a big ask but any suggestions will be gratefully received:D .

Thanks again

Jane

Jane,

Shopping suggestions? Sure! Happy to help!

Give me an idea if you're looking for anything special or simply want the best of NY shops? How long will you be here and tell me again which month you'll be here?

As for the hotel for the rest of the family. I'm probably not the best person to ask about hotel price websites since I don't stay in NY hotels. Perhaps others will jump in. I think the best thing to do would be to go to www.tripadvisor.com and do a NYC search to see the places people like.

Once you've gotten a bunch of choices in a comfortable price range, let me know what they are and I can then comment on the hotel's location and perhaps what I've heard from other travelers.

Jane

PS Small chance I may be in Mel. for a week in April. I've got the Good Food Guide with my choices already circled. Have you been to Vue du Monde?

Most of the suggestions you've gotten so far are excellent. But there's one hotel I would recommend that hasn't been mentioned do far. It's called the Rhiga Royal. I also really like the Regency, St. Regis and the Ritz Carlton Central Park. But you certainly won't be disappointed in the Mandarin Oriental.

Thanks cruzobsesed and dcdiva for your thoughts. I think we will probably stick with the Manadrin Oriental.

Jane - I love handbags and shoes - what girl doesn't:D . I will be in NY for only one week at the beginning of August so any thoughts about where to shop would be greatly appreciated. My husband is determined to take me sightseeing (he lived in NY for awhile) and in between all of the family commitments, I won't have much time unfortunately to do all the shopping I would have liked to do:mad: .

I haven't been to Vue du Monde - I have heard its a bit stuffy and pretentious. I love Donavans (on St Kilda beach) - its my favorite. Have you been there?

Jane:)

Janeo2,

Handbag and shoe lover? I'm in that club too! <g> Well, of course, you can go to the companies own stores - there are Chanel stores both uptown and in Soho, Todd's stores, Cole Haan stores, etc etc.

However, with limited time, it's probably best that you go to the department stores so you can cover more options in one place. I'm assuming you want the high end goods, right?

You'll be at the Time Warner Mall, though I've only been there once. They do have alot of stores there.

From your hotel, you'll be able to walk to some fabulous stores:

Bergdorf Goodman - 57th St. & 5th Ave.

Sak's Fifth Ave - 50th St. and 5th Ave.

Takashimaya - 54th and 5th (no shoes, limited handbags. great clothes)

Barney's - 61st St and Madison Ave.

Near Barney's, on Madison Ave you can go to the Celine store, Calvin Klein, DKNY, Todd's, Cole Haan and many others.

If you like some funky, high end shoes, go to Otto Tootsie Plough Hound. They have one of East 57th Street and one in Soho on Lafayette Street.

Skip Macy's - ugh! Bloomingdales is okay if you're in the neighborhood, but Sak's is better, IMHO. Lord & Taylor is okay, not worth a trip.

In the meatpacking district (hubby will take you sightseeing there, I'm sure) there's Jeffrey's on 14th Street betw. 9th & 10 Ave's. I'm not a fan of the clothes there, but the shoe dept is awesome. Also other boutiques on that block like Stella McCartney, La Perla lingerie. BTW, eat at Pastis or Spice Market. Have a drink at the rooftop bar at the hip, Ganesvoort Hotel. Great downtown views.

In August, the stores will be packed with the new arrivals of fall fashions and the summer goods will be on sale. At that time, whatever's left for summer will be drastically marked down.

If you head downtown to the Ground Zero/World Trade Center, there's a popular discount store called Centry 21. You can find designer clothes at drastic reductions. However, like any discount store, it's hit or miss and shopping becomes an endurance sport, so if you're downtown it's worth going into. However, with limited time, I wouldn't make a special trip.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I have a question for you, off topic.

A friend of mine will be working in Melbourne in a couple of weeks and is looking for a hotel near the office. I *think* she said the address is 120 Collins Street (I'll double check tomorrow w/ her). If she stayed at the Windsor or the Sofitel, would she be in walking distance of her office or is she at the other end of Collins? Where is the Park Hyatt?

Yes, I have been on Donovan's on St Kilda's. Loved it! We arrived before sunset and had a lovely table by the window. Terrific dinner. Our other favorite, which is now closed, was Est Est Est. Sorry to hear Vue du Monde was stuffy. HATE that!

Jane110

Hi Jane,

Thanks so much for all of those shopping tips. I can't wait to get loose on those stores.

With regards to your friend - she will definately be in walking distance from her office at both of those hotels. 120 Collins St is up the top (or Spring St/Parliament House) end of town where both of those hotels are located.

The Park Hyatt is about another 5 -10 minute walk - also up that end of town. We stayed there last year for my husbands birthday and he is a member of their gym. He thinks it is a much nicer hotel than the Winsdor or Sofitel. They have a great Day Spa if you like that sort of thing.

Thanks again for the shopping tips.

Kind regards

Jane;)

With regards to your friend - she will definately be in walking distance from her office at both of those hotels. 120 Collins St is up the top (or Spring St/Parliament House) end of town where both of those hotels are located.

The Park Hyatt is about another 5 -10 minute walk - also up that end of town. We stayed there last year for my husbands birthday and he is a member of their gym. He thinks it is a much nicer hotel than the Winsdor or Sofitel. They have a great Day Spa if you like that sort of thing.

Thanks again for the shopping tips.

Kind regards

Jane;)

So are you saying that the Park Hyatt is further away from her office (assuming it's 120 Collins) than the Windsor or Sofitel? Does your husband think the rooms are nicer there?

She'll be staying for about 2 to 3 weeks, so she wants to be comfortable and in a good location. She could care less about the gym, though she loves spa's.

Thanks.

Jane in NYC where it's snowing.

Hi Jane,

I have only stayed at the Park Hyatt. My husband has stayed at all three and prefers the Park Hyatt but probably because it is much newer. If your friend prefers to be close to the office then the Sofitel would be the closest. I have eaten at the Windsor and love the old style charm but I guess its a personal/convenience choice at the end of the day. Melbourne is so easy to get around as you probably know.

Regards

Jane

Its been around 30degreesC today so I have been by the pool!

Archived