Concierge Class - Sub Champagne for Wine?

evert9

I've not yet been in Concierge Class yet and will be sailing in November. Does anyone know if I can ask the cabin steward (or someone prior to sailing) about switching the champagne in the cabins to wine? I'm not a big fan of Champagne and from what I understand, we also get Champagne as an additional amenity from the travel agency. So I'd end up with not 1, but 2 bottles of it.

Thanks!

As a CC amenity you will get champagne or nothing. I handle it by sending the bottle down to the dining room to enjoy with dessert one night with my table or making Mimosas for breakfast. Add a little OJ and it becomes a pleasant morning beverage to let you know you are on vacation. Drinking with breakfast! Decadent!:D

Send to Dinner? Save for last night?

Gee...we always use ours before the ice melts! We found the best use is to take our bottle and glasses up on deck for the sail away while we meet our new cruise friends from the roll call!

Betting get back to the original question...intuitively it doesn't sound like something they'd let you swap. But there have been many many times I've been pleasantly surprised on the ship by what I've gotten when I asked for it. The service staff always seems to do everything they can to meet your requests, so try asking. As for the travel agent's gift - can't hurt to ask mention to them that wine would be appreciated more than champagne. I'd also think you might try asking the Captains Club about the CC Champagne before the cruise.

To echo what Larry just said, ask and see...

We had the same situation last Fall, and thought we'd rather drink the good bottle of champagne from our TA for sail-out, and replace the CC sparkling wine with a "house white." Sure enough, we came back from sail out, and there was a bottle of house white- not great, but certainly not bad..., in an ice bucket on the table. We then looked in the mini bar to see if it'd been emptied (we'd asked that they do that), and there was the same bottle of sparkling wine! I thought for sure we'd get charged for the white wine, but it never happened...:confused: :)

So we took the CC sparkling wine up for Sushi on the aft deck one night...ahhh, even mediocre sparkling wine is pretty darned great in that setting!:) Of course, we invited some friends to join us, and they brought THEIR bottle of sparkling wine, which we didn't drink, so THAT one they had sent down for our breakfast mimosas in the dining room!:D It's like we couldn't get away from the stuff- more just kept coming...

Such a problem...;)

Andrew

If they end up not swapping it, you can wash your hair with it. It makes a decadent post-shampoo rinse, and really cuts through any build-up on your hair. (I'm not joking...I did this once with the dregs from a bottle of Dom Perignon on the QE2. It was the bar waiter's suggestion to use it to wash my hair.)

Well, it was the 2nd of two bottles, and we just couldn't finish it, so the waiter suggested I wash my hair with it.

It's good to see you back on the board, Leela. If you can't finish your champagne on the 5/13 Zenith cruise, we'll be happy to help you. Hic!

Please sign back in on the roll call, or email us at Joanandjoe@vtmail.com, so we can learn a bit about each other.

Much to my liver's detriment, even with two bottles, I'm still unlikely to see any dregs...but that's o.k.- don't have enough hair to worry about anyway!

And boy, do I miss the QE2! We're looking at another Spring Crossing in '07 (end of World Cruise)

Andrew

It's good to see you back on the board, Leela. If you can't finish your champagne on the 5/13 Zenith cruise, we'll be happy to help you. Hic!

Please sign back in on the roll call, or email us at Joanandjoe@vtmail.com, so we can learn a bit about each other.

See, that's the thing...I can't even read the thread. I used to be able to, but now when I try to click into that thread it hangs my browser. I think someone has got something weird in their signature, like some kind of massive animation or some java or javascript nonsense, that my computer can't deal with.

See, that's the thing...I can't even read the thread. I used to be able to, but now when I try to click into that thread it hangs my browser. I think someone has got something weird in their signature, like some kind of massive animation or some java or javascript nonsense, that my computer can't deal with.

OK, we'll start a new thread. The problem probably is the nice poster who gives hints on Bermuda. We have no signature, so it should be OK.

OK, we'll start a new thread. The problem probably is the nice poster who gives hints on Bermuda. We have no signature, so it should be OK.

Well, I could try another browser -- I've got at least three on my laptop, I'm just partial to Firefox. So hang on and let me try!

Kazza, any wines purchased though Celebrity, including freebies and gifts from TA's should NOT have a corkage charge. If they try, it's usually because they don't know the origin of the wine when you/your room steward present it to the dining room staff. Easiest way is to talk to the sommelier before you send the wine down, and explain. We've never had a problem, and, if we have ordered enough wine during the cruise, some wine stewards have even 'forgotten' the corkage fee if when we brought our own wine (purchased on shore, before the cruise) once or twice.

Andrew

Andrew, I am so glad to see someone calling it 'sparkling wine' 'cause Champagne it ain't!!:eek: But inexpensive it is. That's why I wasn't sure they would trade it out for anything. Think of how much of that stuff they must buy! Pallet loads. Price to them must be good.

And as for the poster who couldn't finsih two bottles of Dom, I say 'lightweight':D ! I would sit there until I finihed it. And even if I SAID I was going to wash my hair with it, it wouldn't happen! I'd be draining that puppy in a hallway!

Gail, now be careful- I'm from California, and we have some AMAZING sparkling wines- "J" is currently my favorite.:)

But you ARE a woman after my own heart. If cruising with Leela, I'd offer her my free stuff to wash her hair, and take the Dom to drink any day!:D

(Actually, truth be told, I'd buy her some nice shampoo, and drink both bottles! )

Andrew

I'm glad to see I'm the only person outraged about using Dom to wash one's hair! Oh the pain of the thought!

BTW - I do like some California Sparking wines too. At times I've seen Domaine Caneros' La Reve on the Summit for around $45/bottle which is a great deal on that fine Napa "sparking" wine - a price about the same as retail!

If anyone lucky enough to have a great cabin Stewart as we been able to enjoy I bet your can have them exchange the Champagne for a bottle of Celebrity wine (quite! good cabins Stewart have their own wine cellar). A few kind words will almost always get you your desires on a CC ship.

Oh, by the way Andrew there did't seem to be a problem with the bubble on the Trans we did as I remember during the cabin hopping it was flowing freely from your suite!

Dave & Elaine:rolleyes:

Larry, I'm not "outraged," just jealous!!!!:D

Oh, to have so much Dom that I would think this proposition reasonable...:rolleyes:

I seem to remember in my youth that washing hair with beer was recommended, and, as a teen, thinking what a waste. I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Leela, if ya' get to do that, more power to you- but the offer of a trade still stands...:)

Andrew

And as for the poster who couldn't finsih two bottles of Dom, I say 'lightweight':D ! I would sit there until I finihed it. And even if I SAID I was going to wash my hair with it, it wouldn't happen! I'd be draining that puppy in a hallway!

Well, I was only 18 at the time. Fortunately it wasn't me buying the Dom, either. And look at what a great story I'm getting out of it, decades later!

Well, I was only 18 at the time. Fortunately it wasn't me buying the Dom, either. And look at what a great story I'm getting out of it, decades later!
Well, that took the excitement away...

I actually liked to think of the decadence of it all. Wouldn't EVER do it, but liked the thought of it in a Daimler limousine-George V-Polo Ponies-Cap Ferrat sort of way.:)

Ah, the old days of true excess...so much more satisfying than all this Hollywood- hip hop- bling bling- stretch limo stuff!:p

So, in that spirit, Leela, I give you full permission to recreate the story, but just once!:D More would be a shame.

Andrew

Archived