Motion Sickness Bracelets - Are they for real??

alaskamasta

Our local Target carries them [although they're kept behind the pharmacy counter], so try your pharmacy.

According to my doctor, no one seasickness remedy works for everyone. The bracelets seem to work for some people - with no side effects. If it's the placebo effect, who cares?

I'm very prone to motion sickness, never reading in a car, plane etc. First cruise was last year to Alaska, and I got sick right off the bat. Desperately ill and heading back to my cabin, 3 girls took pity on me, showed me their wristbands, and advised I pick up a pair. Needless to say, after a quick respite in the cabin, I headed straight to the onboard gift shop and purchased a pair. The best $15 spent on the whole vacation! Of course, that's more costly than purchasing them prior to sailing. The cruiseline could've probably charged me $115 once I was a sick captive on the high seas and I'd have thought it a bargain:eek: at the time!

I lived in those wristbands for the remainer of the trip without further illness, and even read a book on the flight home. I once was so envious of those able to pass time by reading on flights. Not anymore:D.

In fact, with them and Bonine, I am confident booking a Kenai Fjords National Park cruise this year... even though those sailings having a reputation for causing seasickness:).

They're cheap enough for a try... and if they work for you, they'll be worth every cent.

I would try the bands, but bring your Dramamine just in case they don't work for you. I tried them once and they didn't work for me at all. (I wish I still had them, I would send them to you!) I tried ginger capsules on the next cruise, and that didn't work either. The ONLY thing that has ever worked for me in eight cruises is the patch. (But I am fine in planes and cars, and can usually even read in them. For whatever reason, I just can't get on a boat!)

Everyone is different, I guess. Good luck!

My DH gets seasick and on previous cruises he had to live on Gravol (Canadian brand of Dramamine) - when we ventured to South America on a 28 day cruise around Cape Horn I convinced him to try the bracelets. He put them on when we boarded the ship in Ft Lauderdale and never took them off till be got back to Florida and all the Gravol I bought for the cruise is still in my medicine bag. This is great as before he always complained because the medicine made him sleepy.

He is now sold on the bracelets and puts them on before he even boards the ship.

However as I bought my at the drugstore before leaving home and they were under $10. buy a pair and try them for htat price it can't hurt.

My DH gets seasick and on previous cruises he had to live on Gravol (Canadian brand of Dramamine) - when we ventured to South America on a 28 day cruise around Cape Horn I convinced him to try the bracelets. He put them on when we boarded the ship in Ft Lauderdale and never took them off till be got back to Florida and all the Gravol I bought for the cruise is still in my medicine bag. This is great as before he always complained because the medicine made him sleepy.

He is now sold on the bracelets and puts them on before he even boards the ship.

However as I bought my at the drugstore before leaving home and they were under $10. buy a pair and try them for htat price it can't hurt.

Were they behind the counter, BCHappyGal?

Mine were bought on ship, so I'm sure they are not behind the counter in the stores. They feel a bit odd at first, but you quickly get used to the pressure, it's really not much at all. They are worn just above the wrist bone. They are made of stretchy cloth with a plastic button, easily washable and reuseable. You wear one on each wrist, sold in pairs. Hope that helps.

Myth Busters (Discovery channel?) did a test for motion sickness. For their test subjects the ginger capsules worked the best. I'm not sure if they used the 'elastic' wrist bands, but I'm pretty sure they tried the expensive ($50+) electronic wrist bands. They didn't work for their subjects.

I'm very prone to sea sickness and I've had the best results with the ginger capsules. I've got sick whale watching wearing 'the patch'.

Archived