Ecstasy cruisers

okiegirl

I am curious if any other cruisers are considering cancelling their trip due to the change in itinerary? Do you mind the change to Progresso from Calica? According to the email most have only 2 days to decide - luckily I have until the end of this month. Just trying to decide our course of action - we really like to leave from Galveston as it is the closest port to us and was looking forward to Calica and excetera. We have been to Progresso and unless it has changed in a year - it looked like a old border town with a dirty beach. I don't like the short notice and the fact that if rebook we'll have to pay more $ to leave at the same time :(

Let me give you a workd of advise about Proresso - you can look at ruins, shop (they will be MUCH cheaper than Cozumel) or you can go to the beach - don't waste your $ buying the Corona Beach break tickets from Carnival it is literally at the end of the pier - It looks like a Texas beach - not the clear blue water in Cozumel but the greeny/brown water with lots and lots of little sea shells. We were really disappointed in Progresso,

The 5 day cruises out of Galveston have been sailing this itenerary for some time now. They probably just got around to changing some of the later iteneraries now that they know they aren't going to be able to have a dock for many months to come. That means that Cozumel has far less capacity for ships and so they are diverted to other ports, rather than having an extra sea day or something like that.

I wonder, if this has been the case all along (ships currently going to Progresso) why Carnival did not state this when I booked by cruise last month for June 06.:confused: I checked all my paperwork from them and everything states Calica/Playa, not Progresso. Not really a big deal to us, we have been there before and had a great time, we will be happy to go anywhere, as long as we are on vacation with our kids.:D But nice to know now so that I can stop trying to determine what we were going to do in Playa and now concentrate on Progresso.:p

I wonder, if this has been the case all along (ships currently going to Progresso) why Carnival did not state this when I booked by cruise last month for June 06.

I think they probably held out to see if they would be able to operate the original itenerary before they just wholesale switched things around permanently. I am sure they would (as would lots of cruisers!) prefer to sail to the original places rather than Progreso, but as slowly as things have gone in the process of getting new piers approved/constructed, etc... they just went ahead and changed another segment of cruises so people could make the plans. When I went on Elation in December we didn't know for sure we were going to Progreso and Cozumel until we actually got to Galveston. Some people had been told that we were going to Playa del Carmen instead of Cozumel and that kind of stuff. It was really confusing and frustrating! I think it's a diffucult situation with no simple answers.

I would think that with two tender ports so close together you have a possibility of losing both ports if there is bad weather. With Progreso in lieu of Playa del Carmen you have one port with a pier and enough distance from Cozumel that hopefully you wouldn't lose both ports due to weather.

Progreso can be a very fun port.

I'm assuming you are speaking of the 5-day cruises. Looks like the 4-day still goes to Playa del Carmen.

Sis and I were originally booked on the Sensation on a 5 day which went to Cozumel and PDC. After MANY :( changes now we are on the Ecstasy 5 day and going to Progreso then Cozumel leaving Galveston 5/1/06. If you go to the Carnival website and your account, the ports of call are now changed. I have been 'talking' with a group of mainly Arkansas folks on CC RollCall Ecstasy 5/1/06 and I really think we are still going to try and do Paradse Beach on our own. Pop over there and read what's been happening.:cool:

Archived