Tender Tickets

WannabeaTraveler

There are some ports where the ship is either too large to pull up to a dock,

or there is no dock. So the ship puts boat tenders into the water and takes you to shore (generally about 5 minutes). The tenders go back and forth all day long while the ship is in port. You do not need any ticket or anything.

Just get on board and they'll take you to shore and back. Thats it.

Have a great cruise.

First time cruiser here and I'm trying to understand the whole tender process. So do I have to let the ship know in advance that I'll be going ashore at Cozumel? Is that how I get a ticket? Is there some helpful hints for being first off the ship or anything?

The cruise lines have chartered some of the tender ferries from Cancun, some from the ferry service in Cozumel and other boats. They will not be putting their own boats in the water. The chartered ferries hold 200 to 350 people. The newsletter that you receive on ship will explain the tender process. On Carnival, tours going to Playa del Carmen get off first, ship sponsored tours going to Cozumel get off next. For those wanting to get off ship on their own, you have to go to a certain lounge at a certain time to receive your numbered tender ticket. Make sure you have your entire party with you as they will lead you from the lounge to the tender when the number is called. Make sure you know which pier they are letting you off at as there are four in Cozumel.

Dave

Thanks!

Dave, you said to make sure I know which pier they're letting me off at, is that because I'll need to go back to the same pier to get back on?

And can I go back and forth to the ship as often as I like or is that limited with the tendering?

Yes, it is so you get back on the correct ship. There will be members of the crew checking your Sail and Sign card but accidents do happen as there canbe a line for two different ships at the same pier. Yes, you can go back and forth to the ship but you will eat up a lot of your valuable short time in port.

Dave

Archived