Seattle Question

wave link

We need help from a Seattle resident. We've cruised from Seattle and loved the time we spent in the city and Pacific Northwest. This year we will be coming back for a week (but no cruise :( ). My question is, if we are there in June, can we take a ferry to Victoria? The Victoria Clipper doesn't seem to operate in June. What is the best way to visit Victoria for the day? Thanks in advance!

The Clapper (oops, sorry...) does indeed run in June. IMO however it is not the best way to go to Victoria for the day.

Instead, try Kenmore Air (http://www.kenmoreair.com) for scheduled float plane service from Lake Union in downtown Seattle to the Inner Harbour at Victoria. Obviously more expensive than the boat, but 3 times faster (thereby giving you more time to do things in Victoria) and the view (and experience, if you haven't flown on a floatplane before) is worth every peso.

Our party of 4 will be in Seattle prior to our first Alaskan cruise. We want to visit Victoria for the day, also. The float plane would be great but a little too expensive for us. Are there any other suggestions? Is renting a car a do-able alternative if we take the ferry?

I've done the Victoria Clipper and it's a 3 hour ride up there and back which does leave you with limited time up there. We stayed overnight so we didn't really have a problem. But for just the day, I believe you arrive at around 10:30 - 11:00 am and return at 5:30. Not a lot of time but I guess it would depend on what you want to do while there. I think it's plenty of time walk around Victoria proper and have a nice lunch. Not sure if it's enough time to go out to Butchart Gardens though. We also encountered problems with the weather(this was December) and the Clipper wasn't going to take us back to Seattle because the waters were too rough. We had to bus it back and we didn't get back until after 11pm!

One could drive but I think that would leave you with even more limited time as you would need still take a ferry and I believe it is still about 3-4 hours to get there and you would need reservations. Too far, IMO, for a one day trip.

The best way is to spend a night in Victoria. If you just want to spend part of a day there and Kenmore Air is a budget breaker, then your only other viable choice is the Victoria Clipper.

You do not want to rent a car and drive. There is no car ferry from Seattle to Victoria, so basically if you're taking a car you have three choices: take a ferry across Puget Sound, drive to Port Angeles and take the Black Ball ferry to Victoria; drives to Anacortes and take a Washington State ferry (reservations are most advisable; or drive to a Vancouver suburb and take a BC ferry. All three choices are very time consuming.

I agree with all the above.

1) Kenmore Air

2) Victoria Clipper (the fast boat)

3) drive / ferry, but only if you have more than a day.

If you have time, you can drive to the Olympic Peninsula and take the ferry from Port Angeles, though when you get to the OP you may not want to go to Victoria - much more beautiful on the peninsula IMHO .....My kids do this day trip through their school every year where they depart from Port Angeles and ferry to Victoria, and they survive. There is a car ferry through the Black Ball company out of Port Angeles also. We live south of Seattle though and are closer to Port Angeles than to Anacortes.

Archived