Kids on HAL

telesaps

We have 3 children, 10, 13, and 14, and are thinking of going to Mexico in April. Are there plenty of things for children to do? We've been on Royal Caribbean which has the rock wall, mini golf, etc., and the kids loved it. I'm concerned the HAL may not be the line for kids, but for us (the parents!) it sounds perfect!

Thanks for your help -

We cruise frequently with our kids. They are now 17 & 13 and started cruising with HAL 6 years ago. Mexico is a good choice for kids/teens - as is Caribbean. Depending on the time of year you cruise, you will find more/less kids. We have cruised over the Christmas holidays and LOVE it - we have also cruised several times over Easter Break with our kids and have found no shortage of kids/preteens/teens.

That said, I'd probably stick with a Vista class ship (Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam) on HAL because they seem to attract more families (in my opinion) and also cruise during school breaks/holidays. Another nice feature are the SOE enhanced teen areas on various ships.

Our kids have made friends on each and every HAL cruise, many they are still in email contact with today. Quite honestly, they have never been bored; they each have about 75 days on HAL ships, with 20 days upcoming in 2006.

Let me know if you have specific questions, I will do my best to answer them. :)

We were on the Oosterdam over this past Thanksgiving with our three boys (17,14 and 11). They had a fabulous time and there were plenty of kids on board for them to hang out with. That was our first time on HAL but we have cruised numerous time on other lines. We liked it so much we will be on the Westerdam over spring break in April. I'm sure your kids will have a blast.

Leslie

Telesaps,

I am not going to say your kids will not like Hal but Hal ships do not have all the things Royal Caribbean has for kids. It is very possible they will be disappointed.

Maybe someone can tell you exactly what type of things their kids did. I sure that would help.

I'm leaving tomorrow to head down to Ft Lauderdale and will be boarding the Volendam on Saturday for a 10-day Southern Caribbean cruise. This is only my 2nd cruise with HAL (3rd cruise ever!) and yes, we have several children in our group of 28 that are going. I have 2 girls (ages 14 and 9) and they are looking forward to it.

In 2002 we were on the Veendam during February vacation week and there weren't a whole lot of kids but they do have Club HAL for the kids and my two girls had a great time with the activities that they did with them. Now they have a special area for Club HAL but in 2002, activities were just held in small areas all over the ship. Each night we would get a schedule of the activities planned for the next day with the time & location. My girls had a blast and are looking forward to the new Club HAL area this time.

Some of specific activities from 2002 cruise were that each evening there is some type of "party" for each age group. My youngest who was in the age 5-8 group and the evening activities ran from 8:00-10:00 (I think?). The parties ranged from a birthday party for everyone (each child got a HAL CD holder), a party on the Lido where they made tye-dye shirts for the show that included guests -- had to do with music from the 50's -- the show was great by the way ... some of the other parties were a movie night (showed a Disney movie), pajama party where they wore pjs and brought a pillow, campfire party, etc. This time my youngest will be in the 8-12 (tween) group and my oldest will be with the "teens" (13-17). In 2002 my oldest was in the "tweens" and they had similar parties to the other group BUT some of their activities were geared more to the pre-teen age group which worked out well. I can't remember specifics but I know my 2 girls are very much looking forward to signing up with Club HAL. AND, the good thing is that you get a time schedule so if there's something your kids do or don't want to do, they don't have to...

I will try to post some of the schedules when I get back so you can get a better idea of what the activities are. And this year we won't be on the ship during vacation week -- well, the cruise leaves a week before vacation and goes a few days into vacation week so I'm not sure what to expect for kids but I'll be sure to let you know when I get back.

I am sure they will love the new HAL areas, especially the Oasis and Loft for the teens. My 12 yo and 16 yo had a great time last March on the Zaandam!!

There are no rock walls or putting greens, but the teen Oasis is cool enough that I'd like to hang out up there. My Kids loved it so much, that we are celebrating the holidays on the Amsterdam next year!!:D

Thank you for all of your replies. I think we're going with HAL. It will be during spring break, so there will be alot of kids. I was told the sea can get rough in Mexico and they would probably shut down the rock wall on Royal Caribbean anyway!

Archived