Where's Captain Paul Wright???

cunarder

Hi All,

Does anyone know where Captain Wright is?

Do you think that he will replace Commordore Warwick on QM2 when he retires?

I have saw alot of names in command of QE2 and QM2 but I have not seen his name in a long time.

Thanks,

Ed

My understanding is Capt. Paul Wright is now working on one of the Princess ships.

He was a great guy with a wonderful personality......... I met him one morning about 05.30am on a Transatlantic crossing........... he was wandering the corridors down among deck 6. Had a chat for a while then he went on his way.

I too hope he makes a return to the QM2 someday.

He is on the Sapphire Princess. We met him on our Mexican Rivera cruise Jan.28 to Feb.4.. Princess had a cockrtail party for the 40 most traveled cruisers and he was the host. Very nice man . He has quite a history . With all the changes you never know , but all things possible he may one day return to the QM2.:)

he was wandering the corridors down among deck 6.

I was about to ask "but what were you doing down there?" and then I realized you were talking about QM2, not QE2 ;) !

I didn't realize that Capt. Wright had been master of QM2 - I guess he was the relief master for Commodore Warwick before Capt. Warner?

Interesting to hear that Capt. Wright is now on SAPPHIRE PRINCESS as that was current QE2 master Capt. Rynd's last ship before QE2.

Capt. Wright was even the "star" of a TV show here covering all aspects of the QM2 during 2004 from memory.

The reporter asked how much competition there was for the Captains position........... and he replied "Put it this way........... I don't walk down the steps in front of any of the officers!!!!!"

Also told the story of buying a yacht for personal use............ the salesman didn't think he would be able to handle a "big" sailing boat!

Excellent PR person and no doubt also very competent.

I didn't realize that Capt. Wright had been master of QM2 - I guess he was the relief master for Commodore Warwick before Capt. Warner?

Yes, Captain Wright was master of Queen Mary 2 on my 4/2/05 NY roundrtrip to the Caribbean. He hosted the senior officer's party in that ghastly Winter Garden Lounge, and I was fortunate to have a lengthy, quality conversation with him. He is very outgoing, witty and accessible. Everyone liked him. His voice was very reassuring to many very seasick passengers (not me) as we sailed through a fierce force 8 nor'easter on our first 2 days out of New York (the huge waves, spray and major motion were great). He was particularly sensitive, respectful and gracious when he made the sad announcement that the Pope had died during the voyage. I hope he returns soon to a Cunard ship and wish him well in the meantime.

I used to see replies to posts by Captain Wright himself on CruiseMates...

So...Captain Wright, if you are reading CruiseCritic, you can see that there are many of us who miss you and look forward to your return to QE2 or Queen Mary!

• 2 weeks later...

capt scott is on my next cruise sounds almost rightish to me

capt wright was on my last cruise on the qm2 met him on the elevator he admitted he was confused by all the buttons seems to be a down to earth guy wish he had been in command and not run the pod into the obstacle but that is pods against the obstacle or whatever

or water under the pods or water under the bridge

maybe I will see him again on the sapphire princess next year:D

Archived