Connecting Cabins

patnjohn

Has anyone sailed in connecting cabin. Is the soundproofing less due to the door between cabins? Can you hear people in the next cabin? I just booked a cabin & now realize it is a connecting one. Please help! Should I try to change cabins. By the way, it is on the Dawn.

I don't know about the Dawn but on PofAM and the Disney Wonder we could hear everything said in the connecting cabin as if they were in the room with us. We booked unaware that it might be a problem on the Disney and with the PofAM it was not listed on the ship diagram as a connecting. When I did the check on the room on the website provided on the board it did list a connecting room but since it wasn't listed on the diagram and it WAS a coveted aft cabin, I took the gamble. Upon arriving I heard every word said in the adjoining room and thought it would be a problem but they spent all their time on the balcony so it really wasn't. And we were only in the cabin to sleep.

Patnjohn,

I've had adjoing cabins with my newlywed son and DIL aboard the Spirit. I knew what was going on next door, but didn't need to hear it.:o Guess what, I didn't. The door itself seems to be as well insulated as the rest of the cabin walls. I wouldn't worry about it, and with the extra door handle, you have an extra hook to hang something.:eek:

If your neigbor is doing something loud enough for you to hear then you're going to hear it whether the door is there or not. Remember it's not one door, there is a small amount of space in between and they are technically fire doors.

Cheers,

Norman

I was on the Dawn in August, 2005 and did not have a connecting cabin. We heard a lot of noise from one of the cabins next to us. There was a husband and wife who argued and two kids that were constanty talking loudly, crying, fighting, etc. What made it worse was that it seemed like they were always in the cabin, and these were inside cabins! It wasn't too bad late at night- I guess they were sleeping, but they were up very early in the morning and made noise almost all day. Several days I was awakened by their noise in the morning so I came to the cabin to try to take a nap only to hear the people in that cabin! At one of the ports they must have bought their kids some type of flute and after that there was constant unmusical flute noise as well. I would have complained to the front desk, but they were traveling with other friends or family and my cabin was in the midst of them so they would have known that I was the complainer. I think that the walls are thin and that having connecting cabins won't make much of a difference. The noise in your cabin depends upon how loud or quiet you neighbors are.

We were not in connecting cabins on the Dawn but could hear the loud conversations on one side, when they were talking on the cell phone for instance. And on the opposite side we could hear the family next door in the bathroom when I was in my bathroom; they had young children and could hear them very clearly.. really odd.

What was worse though was the creaking when the ship rocked.. First time I needed to use ear plugs to sleep.

We were on the 2 January sailing on the Dawn. We had interconnecting cabins with friends. Even with the door open the noise level was low, perhaps due to the child being a good 16 yr old. The doors are quite heavy and there is one each side so even if locked all cruise time should not be any different from any other cabin in regards to noise you might hear.

Hi! We were on the Dawn 12/11, rooms 8522,8526. We had no problem with noise from either side of our cabin, in fact, we did'nt know we had neighbors until the night we set our luggage out. We never saw anyone on any of the balconies surrounding us either. I guess we were lucky!You'll love the Dawn, she is a gorgeous ship with a great crew. Janice

Archived