2006 Seattle public transit info

There have been some changes in the public transit in Seattle since last year's Alaska season. The Waterfront Trolley is no longer running--but it has been replaced with a free bus painted to look like the trolleys did, and it still stops in front of Pier 66. There is still no bus service to Pier 30.

In addition, the bus tunnel that runs the length of downtown Seattle has been closed for renovation (to prepare it for when the light rail begins in 2050 or whenever it is it gets done :rolleyes:). Routes that used to run in the tunnel now run on surface streets. As a result, 3rd Avenue is closed to cars during certain times of day, and the police are pretty serious about ticketing people, so if you're going to be driving in downtown Seattle, watch for the signs on 3rd Avenue about the traffic restrictions.

Now for some almost good news: The Monorail, which runs from Seattle Center to downtown Seattle, is tentatively scheduled to reopen in July. It's been closed since November, when the two trains sideswiped each other. Here's an article about it:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002794849_webmonorail09.html

If you need to get from Seattle Center to downtown Seattle while the Monorail is closed, consider taking Bus #3 or #4, which stop on 5th Avenue by Seattle Center and then head over to 3rd Avenue in downtown Seattle.

Remember that buses within downtown Seattle (but not around Seattle Center) are free. Buses are $1.25 off-peak (weekends and non-commuter hours on weekdays), $1.50 peak within Seattle, and $2.00 peak outside of the city limits, including to SeaTac Airport. #194 and #174 both go to downtown Seattle from SeaTac; the 194 is an express bus so it's usually faster.

For general info about transit in Seattle, including a trip planner that will tell you which buses to take and where to catch them, check out this website:

http://transit.metrokc.gov

You have to choices: either go out the main entrace of the train station and walk straight towards the water until you get to 1st avenue and catch a bus heading north (this will drop you right in front of Pike Place on 1st ave), or head up the stairs like you did when you were going to the bus tunnel, only instead of walking all the way over to the tunnel entrace, catch the bus on 4th Ave heading northbound (4th runs right next to the train station). The first option has more walking to get to the bus; the second option has more walking to get from the bus to Pike Place. I think the buses run more frequently on 4th so that's probably what I'd do. I hope those directions aren't too confusing--if so, let me know and I can try to explain it better!

Archived