Best way to get Port Everglades from MIA

Sailing Gomba

We just had to do this same thing for a Feb 4th cruise. Here are some of your options:

1) In the Miami airport there will be people in the baggage claim area holding signs for each cruise line and offering shuttle service. The cost was $20 per person for the Celebrity shuttle to Port Everglades from MIA airport. We took the shuttle back to the port after the cruise was over. It can be arranged while on the ship and was just the easiest way to do it at that point since we had made no other arrangements. We did not choose to do this to get from the airport to the port before the cruise as we were warned that the bus does not move until it is full and it can be a long hot wait. But after the cruise things moved pretty quickly. We were happy with this decision for getting back to the airport after the cruise.

2) If you walk just outside of the baggage claim area at the airport you will see kiosks for taxi service. That was what we chose to do to get from the airport to Port Everglades. There were six of us and all of our luggage, so they called a van to come and get us. This is a metered ride - you pay for the length of the ride, not per person. It cost us $78.50 plus a tip. Be aware that the cost depends on how long the rides takes - if you get stuck in traffic it could cost more. Do not tip the person at the kiosk at the airport - they won't accept it anyway. But of course we tipped the driver. We were happy with this decision for getting from the airport to the ship before the cruise.

3) You can take another shuttle called Super Shuttle. We were warned against them for unscrupulous activities of one kind or another. I have no experience with them. There are other shuttle services available, but I don't know anything about them, but they are available outside the baggage claim area at the airport.

4) You can rent a limo. This is how we got from our house to the airport and then back after the plane landed at home. I have to say that this might be just a bit more expensive, but it is very nice to have someone standing there holding a sign with my name on it, ready to take me where I need to go. These were recommended by other people. I have no experieince with them. www.fla-limo.com, http://www.limos.com/states/cities/miami_airport_limos.html

One of the women holding the signs in the baggage claim area told us about the trian. She said it costs $4 per person, but it sounded kind of complicated the way she explained it, so we didn't even consider it.

I really agonized about this part of the trip b/c it was the only thing that I didn't arrange ahead of time. But I needn't have worried. You'll find that the transportation is very easily arranged no matter what you choose. If all else fails, just go with the cruiseline shuttle. It might take a bit longer to get to the ship, but you really can't go wrong.

Thank you for the info that you can book shuttle return to airport on board! I only booked from the airport to the port with my trip, and was told I couldn't add it separately.

Do you know what the time restrictions were? Where do you go on board to do this?

Thanks for any additional help you can give.

Valerie :)

From MIA, take the cruise transfer. I think all the lines are charging either $20 or $25 per person versus the $80 cab. Super shuttle exclusive is about $65. Also, the airport reps radio the pier when the bus leaves, so they know you are coming....very helpful of you are close to sailing time, they will likely wait for you.

The cruise line meet and greet staff are in the baggage area. To the best of my knoweldge, transfers are only good up to approx 3pm, so if your flight is scheduled after 3pm they may not honor your transfer, and then I'd take the cab. If your flight is delayed, they will hold a bus or van for you, and will let the pier know exactly when your flight arrives so they can relay the info to the Captain if you are late. Also, I don't think they start the transfers until approx 11am, as the port isn't ready to accept passengers. If you arrive on a red eye, you can take the cab, but you will have to wait with your luggage until the doors open. The other option is to have coffee and wait at the airport, as there is no place to store baggage for you.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS:

1) Make sure the cruiseline has your flight details, even if you booked them yourself. Don't assume they do - make sure you call customer service at least 3 weeks prior to flight arrival date to advise them of your flights, earlier if you can. Then call the week before to ensure your flight details are in their reservation system. This double check can prevent some heartache.

2) Watch your luggage go on the bus, don't assume it went on!!!

Archived