How to stop snoring without surgery???

raysen2

We leave next Friday on Splendour of the Seas and my boyfriend snores terribly, I'm not sure how I'm going to get any rest.......We've tried the strips and they didn't stop it. Any suggestions?????

Sledgehammer...sorry I could not resist that as I have the same problem with DH when we travel and that always pops into my mind.To be honest there is probably not much you can do with the snorer so you being the snoree will have to adapt.I highly suggest good soft earplugs that have a high noise reduction rating..you can find these at your local drugstore,and then a small portable white noise machine that you can put beside your bed.Also,you may want to try twin beds as you can then move away from the snoring to some degree.There are a lot of so called remedies out there for snoring,but most of them don't work so it will be up to you.Good luck...there is always the deck chairs with a blanket....:D

how do yu put up with his snoring at home and why would it be any different on a cruise ship -- without knowing why he snores its difficult to know how to respond -he could need surgery --- you could try some nasal strips which can be bought in a drug store and he could wear one at nite -- football players sometime wear them to open their nostrils a bit wider to give them more breath

Has his doctor recommended surgery for his snoring?

He may have sleep apnea, which commonly manifests itselfs in snoring. He would need to speak to his doctor and a sleep study would need to be conducted to see if he has this condition. If he does have sleep apnea, it's a matter of sleeping with a machine that helps to keep the air passages open to prevent the loss the breath. (and the snoring from occuring)

Unfortunately, doctors cannot test for sleep apnea within a week. Good ear plugs is about all I can recommend.

Thank you for the suggestions, we actually don't live together. When we do stay together it is in separate rooms, isn't that awful. He's tried the breathe right strips and it didn't work. Just thought there might be some magic pill to get me thru the week.

Thanks again!

The only thing I have found to work are good ear plugs (the foam kind as mentioned above) & sometimes I also use an eye mask--I don't know why but, it helps put me into a deeper sleep and I don't seem to wake up as easily as normal from the snoring.

And the only product that worked for my husband & basically stopped his loud snoring was this mouth piece (it kind of looked like a mouth guard) he had specially made at the dentist. It was not covered by insurance & cost a few hundered dollars---so unfortunally when it broke, we have not wanted to spend the $$ to replace it.

That said, I just was told by somene recently of a mouth guard product you can buy at the drug store which kind of works the same way & at a fraction of the price. I guess you warm the piece up in the micro & then fit it onto the persons bite until an impresstion is made---she said it worked great. We haven't tried it yet, but, I plan too! Maybe someone else has tried it.

Good Luck!

For the snoring remedy...maybe he has sleep abnea. that is a sleep disorder condition and there is a mask that rooks up to a machine. I wear one becuase I have sleep abnea. It works. How it works it makes them breathe through their nose instead of the mouth and that stops the snoring. I can't sleep without it.

Just a note re the snoring that I wrote before..we have seperate bedrooms at home as the snoring is so bad,and I have learned to use the items suggested when we travel as we cannot afford 2 rooms,but there are times I wish!! My DH has had the surgery,done the sleep testing for apnea and other assorted test,but he snores in any position.The soft kind of earplugs with the highest noise reduction really do help.I have tested out various priducts over the years as we travel a lot and this has worked the best so can't hurt to try.It also can't hurt to try the throat spray for him either.

Thank you for the suggestions, we actually don't live together. When we do stay together it is in separate rooms, isn't that awful. He's tried the breathe right strips and it didn't work. Just thought there might be some magic pill to get me thru the week.

Thanks again!

There is a magic pill!! It's called Ambien..YOU take it, it puts you to sleep in 10 mins and you don't hear a thing!

Seriously, he should be tested for sleep apnea. It can be life threatening and very serious.

My DH was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea. (I diagnosed him over a year ago!) He has the wonderful C-PAP machine, which puts positive pressure through his nose, and keeps things from collapsing and causing him to snore, gasp, etc! The first night that he used it I had to go and peek (yes, we were in different rooms so I could sleep!) to be sure he was alive! I couldn't hear him snoring for the first time in years!

Please have him go to his doctor when you get back from the cruise.

Hope you can sleep! Have a great cruise!

Archived