"Spirit" 5A Stateroom w/French Doors & Obstructed Views

bigmike7

Yo-

We are seriously considering taking "Spirit" and saw that these 5A outside staterooms have "French Doors" and Obstructed Views. Can anyone tell me about these rooms and if the ones "between" the lifeboats have any better view??

All help and/or info is appreciated-

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

Fairsea'86-Mexican Riviera
Stardancer'88-Mexican Riviera
Crown Odyssey'00-E. Med
Dream'01-W. Med
Sky'01-Hawaii
Regal'02-Alaska
Norway'02-E. Carib
Norway'03-E. Carib
Elation'03-Panama Canal
Crown'04-Canada/East Coast
Norway "Royal Suite" 07/04/04-CANCELLED!!
"We have never had a BAD cruise - some were just BETTER than others"

We were on the Legend last October. My stepdaughters had a 5A cabin. The room is pretty good. The doors open and there is a railing but no balcony. You can see the water and you get a lot of light but the view is definitely obstructed. If the view is important then choose another category. The 7A's have a balcony and you have a pretty good view straight out but not down.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;3;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Beating the Winter Blues on the Legend

Tropicale 9/95
Sensation 9/97
Carnival Destiny 10/00
Fascination 3/02
Imagination 3/03
Carnival Legend 10/28/03
Carnival Triumph 3/13/04
Carnival Legend 3/19/05

I was on the Sprit in March, in a French door Cabin - and I SPECIFICALLY picked out a cabin in between the lifeboats, and yes you can see the water and gat a good view from them.

The schematics(sp?) that are published in both the brochures and internet sites are pretty accurate as to the placement of the lifeboats.

We had the pleasure of leaving the door open most nights and sleeping with with sounds of the water and the ocean breezes.

Depending how the specifica cabin is oriented, it is best to leave only 1 door open, the door that is at the foot of the bed. Unlike a balcony room, where the door opens outward, these cabins, the door opens inward, so we used the bed as a 'wedge' to keep the door open at night. Because of that, it becaomes a little awkward opening both doors up at the same time.

You do need to be aware that the crew hoses doen the windows from time to time, and will get on the 'catwalks' that are along the lifeboats, so there are times you need to draw the curtains shut, if you are in the room at those times.

If you are specifically booking those rooms, DEFINATELY handpick, if at all possible, a room inbetween the lifeboats. Otherwise, will you will get some breezes, the rooms with the boats right in front will have zero views.

I have had windowed cabins before, but never in a balcony room - after my Spiritcruise, I can definately see the appeal of a balcony room. The 5A room qwas a great compromise, and even better since I had a confirmed upgrade to this room, while paying a nicely discoubnted 4A rate!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Anthony, thanks for the info.

We booked an IS guarantee and were upgraded to obstructed view 4110. It looks like there we are right in front of the lifeboat. Do they completely obstruct the view from top to bottom or do we still get a glimpse of the ocean?? We had obstructed view on Grand Princess 2 years ago and were able to see out of the window, although the boats did get in the way.

Sailing in 2 weeks and would like to better know what to expect.

Archived