My Fellow Canucks - Canadian $ vs US $ ?

dmk

I just read this xpress pass again...if the wording isn't meant to be confusing, then it's just plain sloppy.

Just a little convoluted isn't it. I like the part about the surcharge in addition to the conversion.... I forget the exact wording but I think it hints at a "double whammy" :rolleyes:

Enjoy that extra money on your cruise!

I can't imagine why anyone would go for this?? Which would lead me to believe that everyone who did, simply fell victim to this "trap".

I hope this isn't a trend that I have to go over every document with a fine tooth comb to make sure there isn't something hidden, or cleverly worded...I already have to do that with Canadian banks and I am hoping that my cruise vacation doesn't become an exercise in "due diligence".

I'm sure RCI can tell exactly what percentage make this mistake and how many "bonus" dollars it yeilds.

Thanks again...

I expect the difference will amount to one Alexander Keith's either way...pick one and forget it...I think cruise mellowness is setting in....:p

I was sooooo wrong...and I almost got our travel companions into the same situation :eek: . Over the past years we, Canadians, have paid legitimate exchange rates of OVER 50%...finally we have a rate that isn't too bad (16%) and this creeps in.

When did this start?? I don't ever remember it being a concern in the past :( .

Dan - my sister told me about this in 2003 when we did an Alaskan cruise, so it's been a few years. When I was on Zenith last May, printed on my on-board expense statement, were exchange rates for various currencies if you wanted Celebrity to convert from U.S. to the currency of your card. I vividly recall an exchange of 1 U.S. to 1.40 Cdn being printed on the statement. When you are on this cruise, look into it (when you are looking for something entertaining to do;) ) and see if it's still the money grab that it has been in the past.

Thanks.

... . Over the past years we, Canadians, have paid legitimate exchange rates of OVER 50%...finally we have a rate that isn't too bad (16%) and this creeps in.When did this start?? I don't ever remember it being a concern in the past :( .
Hi Danno. This made its insidious way into the document books before your last cruise. It seemed to occur just about the time exchange rates were dropping. We first noticed the question on the documents for our 10/24/04 Mediterranean & 11/06/04 Transatlantic WB when exchange rates hovered around 23% to 25%.

The question was at the bottom of our "How do you want to pay your onboard expenses" page - in finer print than older eyes are comfortable with. I imagine that the question was missed by a lot of pax at the confusing rush of check-in.

We found out about it on CC about a month before our 2004 embarkation. Long ago, I developed a habit of reading everything before I sign it (no I'm not a lawyer and I don't work in a law office) and, even though I was looking for the sentence, I went through an entire document book twice before I found the box to tick. That's when I hauled out the highlighter.

At pierside I already had the required pages out of the book and I drew attention to the highlighted, ticked box. I was told to present the pages for the 11/06/04 cruise to Guest Relations on board. At Guest Relations, I also drew attention to the highlighted section.

The staff from one of those two cruises followed our instructions and the other staff didn't -- which is how I know you can go back to X to correct their mistake. I do wonder whether X would have been as willing to correct their mistake if it hadn't been a B2B and there hadn't been two "How do you want to pay your onboard expenses" sheets -- both highlighted.

Terry

I started cruising in 2000 and I believe this charge by Celebrity for conversion has been there since then, at least. I wasn't so aware of it until our exchange rates becaming better. Then one cruise, I noticed this check box to opt out of Celeb. doing the exchange.

I would emphasize to check on this while you are cruising. Last cruise, they ignored that check box and converted themselves. What a mess to get to the bottom of it:eek: with many phone calls!

I started cruising in 2000 and I believe this charge by Celebrity for conversion has been there since then, at least. I wasn't so aware of it until our exchange rates becaming better. Then one cruise, I noticed this check box to opt out of Celeb. doing the exchange.

I would emphasize to check on this while you are cruising. Last cruise, they ignored that check box and converted themselves. What a mess to get to the bottom of it:eek: with many phone calls!

Dan - my sister told me about this in 2003 when we did an Alaskan cruise, so it's been a few years. When I was on Zenith last May, printed on my on-board expense statement, were exchange rates for various currencies if you wanted Celebrity to convert from U.S. to the currency of your card. I vividly recall an exchange of 1 U.S. to 1.40 Cdn being printed on the statement. When you are on this cruise, look into it (when you are looking for something entertaining to do;) ) and see if it's still the money grab that it has been in the past.

Thanks.

Susan, what month was your Alaska cruise in 2003? I'm wondering if by any chance it was when the interest rates started to fall just after our April 2003 Transatlantic.

Thanks.

Terry

What a dirty little game this is, shame on you Celebrity :( ....I'll take a photo copy before I go, leave it with my TA, and if there is any issue I'll hand it over to my TA to sort out.

If this has been around for some time, there is every reason to believe I've been a victim...I just don't watch very close (I do that the other 355 days of the year)...I never thought I would have to worry about an organized scheme to sneak away with my money...BOY, if you can't trust RCI, who can you trust!!

What a dirty little game this is, shame on you Celebrity :( ....I'll take a photo copy before I go, leave it with my TA, and if there is any issue I'll hand it over to my TA to sort out.
Wise decision, Danno. I have to admit I was surprised at your first interpretation:

Originally Posted by
Danno

I expect the difference will amount to one Alexander Keith's either way...pick one and forget it...I think cruise mellowness is setting in...

I think Celebrity is counting on that mellowness.

I think we've touched a nerve here. Replies are posting so fast on this thread, we've reached 'freezing' and 'duplicating' status.:D

I think our host should post this as a "sticky"...X got caught with it's hand in people pockets and should get it SLAPPED. It's a sneaky move and I think we all expected more from Celebrity...very disappointing indeed.

cadcruiser:

That is exactly what happened to us on our last cruise. Will you be trying to pursue the matter? I would be interested in knowing.

I sent an e-mail to Celebrity by clicking on "contact us" on their website.

I didn't bother calling customer service as I had a big problem pre-cruise when my reservation was cancelled twice after final payment due to their computer glitch. It was very frustrating dealing with them.

I have also emailed them...I think it's well organized, I think it's a crime.

Now I have to go home and read all the fine print in the ticket book...I guess I should be worried about what else is lurking in there.

Susan, what month was your Alaska cruise in 2003? I'm wondering if by any chance it was when the interest rates started to fall just after our April 2003 Transatlantic.

Thanks.

Terry

It was in Sept/03 .... so yes, during the year that our dollar started to gain some strength. When I look back to our first cruise in 2000, I think the Cdn dollar was trading around $1.60 to the U.S. dollar. I feel like I've won the jackpot now that we are under $1.20.

I imagine that the executive at RCI who dreamt up this scheme earned a huge bonus:( But, on the positive side, they do give us a choice, and sometimes they take note of it.

I think our host should post this as a "sticky"...X got caught with it's hand in people pockets and should get it SLAPPED. It's a sneaky move and I think we all expected more from Celebrity...very disappointing indeed.

I agree that more people need to be aware of the practice. I doubt that this is particular to RCI either.... probably most cruise lines have jumped on this bandwagon.

I would recommend putting a check mark in the box which indicates that you want to have your on board expenses billed in U.S. $.

Better to have your credit card company do the conversion from U.S. to Cdn, as Celebrity uses a generous exchange rate if they convert it.

-- I agree. After reading so many postings on this thread, I dug out my Master Card invoice to recheck on the listing from Celebrity for onboard purchases on our last cruise in November, and the listing was for US dollars, with a conversion to Canadian.

On the form in the book of documents which I still have and on the express ticket that I printed and turned in, I had checked the box for Celebrity NOT to convert from $US and they, indeed, did not convert. They have always followed my wishes in this regard, but thanks to the posters on this thread, I will be even more vigilant in checking the bill on the cruise television and on the paper version of the bill on future cruises. Thank you all for bring up this topic.

One caution. Each credit card company has a different policy on foreign exchange.

For its US cardmembers American Express charges a 2% markup on the current bank exchange rate and First Card (United Airlines) Visa charges a 4% markup. So it helps to check on that practice as well.

One caution. Each credit card company has a different policy on foreign exchange.

For its US cardmembers American Express charges a 2% markup on the current bank exchange rate and First Card (United Airlines) Visa charges a 4% markup. So it helps to check on that practice as well.

Good advice Walt. My M/C is interbank +2.5% and our Visa is Interbank +4% as well.

Danno, if you put in at Midland you'll save us a 1.5 hour drive north. The BBQ sounds great but I'll let you have my Keith's -- I'd be too afraid of the 'ghost' appearing if I spilled any and he shouts too much even for an almost deaf person.:D

Terry

So the lesson learned is...

If you shake the hand of an RCI executive...count your fingers. :eek:

A lot of these guys are ex-airline aren't they??

Probably. But be aware that your fellow CC members have been aware of this practice for some time. There have been quite a number of threads on this topic, including both problems with the exchange rate and problems with whether the box is ignored if checked.

Here are just a couple of the ones still extant. There are a bunch more. The first one is entitled "Canadians.....we're getting ripped off!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=160456

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=242382

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=225093

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=207716

Dmk ... Regarding charges to set up a USD account. It depends on the bank's policy as to how much of a minimum balance you have to maintain before the monthly ($5-$8) fees are waived, but once you are a bit ahead in the account the charges are minimal in my opinion. A credit union may even have a better deal. Even though there may also be annual fees on the credit card, these again tend to be minimal if you don't have any perk rewards systems to pay for. Since I use the card for US business purchases as well it is easy to write the cost off. At any rate ... the savings outweigh the minimal amount of hassle IMO.

I also tend to pay off the balance of my onboard charges prior to disembarkation in cash as well. Most of the costs were prepaid anyway in my case. Of course the cash also comes from my USD account so that I am not changing it back and forth. Many financial institutions (I use the term loosely) have no charge traveller's cheques in USD as well so you simply return any balance to your account when you return home and it is ready for the next trip.

Also, my bank is currently paying me US Composite rate minus 5.00% (which was 2.14% last month) on any money left sitting in the USD account. They only pay me around .5% on the Canadian accounts unless you have a money market account or a CD. So ... it may actually pay you to store some funds in your US account. There is, of course the currency risk that the CAD may rise some more and this would diminish the exchanged value of the money in your USD account, but since you plan to spend the dollars in the US anyway it is somewhat of a moot point. You can always console yourself into thinking that if the Dollar continues to gain, then you will have an even better rate the next time YOU choose to convert your CAD to USD.

Also ... to be "fair" to X, I feel that I should point out to some of you that if your CAD credit card indicates that there was a conversion from US, then it was probably the credit card company's conversion. If it was X's, it would just show up in CAD, since they did the conversion in advance. But as others have pointed out, the credit card companies will add on a 2% to 4% commision on top of the exchange as well. By keeping a USD account you can bypass much of the hassle.

Using a currency exchange broker will save you even more, but does require a bit of expertise. Setting up a USD card and an account to pay it with is a must do for Canadians who deal with USD purchases on a frequent basis, IMPO.

Talk with your bank or credit union ... I'm sure they can help set it up for you.

Earl ... I see that you are still very active on the boards. I still check those website addresses that you passed on to me from time to time, and have actually booked 2 trips through Lori so far.

Lyle

Archived