Help with film and X-Ray machines

okiecruiser71

I use an inexpensive ($10.00) lead lined bag for my film. These are available at most photo shops like Ritz, Kits, etc. They hold a lot of film, includeing the disposables which are the most easily destroyed by xray. I shot 17 roles on one cruise and 10 on another, they were all fine. Whatever you do....do not put your film in checked luggage. Like the previous poster stated, those xray machines are stronger. I was in the photo processing industry for 17 years and I have seen many people in tears when they see what xray does to their irreplaceable photos. Also, those of you with digital cameras....get your photos off that memory card and saved on a CD ASAP! Those cards can easily become corrupted... I've seen the tears. Also don't just save them to your PC, if it crashes you have no photos.Saving them to a CD ensures that your memories will last and you can have them printed.

Everytime we have cruised, though I have put my

film in clear zip bags, (even WITHOUT the canister!!!),

CARNIVAL security has ALWAYS insisted on xraying my film........

No if and or buts about it. I did not have a choice.

Their security personnel told me EVERY ITEM boarding

the ship has to be screened, no exceptions!!!

THEY EVEN XRAYED MY CAMERA......that said, I was terrified my pix would be ruined......I had 200 & 400 film & it was all fine........I did my best NOT to take the same roll of film off and on and off and on the ship over and over again, to minimize any potential reaction.

I agree that Carnival security has been rude and hateful

about this issue.

NOTE: When traveling by plane, you MUST take ALL film with you as CARRY-ON because the new more powerful

xrays that xray ALL BAGGAGE going into the cargo hold

area will RUIN ALL FILM!!!

The airlines have *ALWAYS* been nice and accomodating

and DID hand check my camera and non-canistered,

clear bagged film.

Never ever allow your film to xrayed- insist on having it hand inspected. There is nothing magical with film that is under 800 speed. Higher speed films contain more silver (silver nitrate?) thus explaining their greater cost and of course, greater vulnerablity to xray damge.

However, lower speed films do get damaged by xrays. I guess the lazy screeners are banking on whether you'll even notice the damage or be willing to hunt them down a few weeks later and beat them with a stick.

Mild damage to low speed film (like 200) will appear as a very faint fog. Alot of people won't notice this musch less be bothered by it. But, if you look carefully at some of your old pics and see this, thank an xray machine.

I have battled my share of screeners and sometimes it takes real stubboness to get them to hand inspect. I can't tell you haw many times I have heard "this xray machine is safe for under 800 speed film". Well, gee, will that $10 an hour screener buy me a new cruise to help me take new pics if these 200 speed prints are damaged? I don't think so! I have gotten so tired of this that I am now taking mostly digital pics (which are immune to xrays) everywhere, even snorkeling. This is a shame, as Kodak HD 200 speed film, coupled with high quality photo processing, can give impressive pics that most digital cameras can't match.

When we travel we try to have our film developed as soon as possible, instead of waiting until we are home. That way we know if they turned out okay - and also limits potential damage from x-rays or other sources. Film processed onboard the ships we've been on has turned out just fine.

To dsclark: Have you ACTUALLY (since 911) insisted on hand-screening to the Carnival screeners yourself and did they honor your request???

I said: "Everytime we have cruised, though I have put my

film in clear zip bags, (even WITHOUT the canister!!!),

CARNIVAL security has ALWAYS insisted on xraying my film........

No if and or buts about it. I did not have a choice.

Their security personnel told me EVERY ITEM boarding

the ship has to be screened, no exceptions!!!"

dsclark replied: "Never ever allow your film to xrayed- insist on having it hand inspected. There is nothing magical with film that is under 800 speed."

That statement is easier said than done, BELIEVE ME!!!

I DID ask the CARNIVAL security to please hand-screen my film & camera...........THEY REFUSED!!!

THEY ABSOLUTELY AND COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY REFUSED and xrayed it all ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Note: Are we married? (to each other???) I'm always

having this same type of communication problem with my husband, somehow, I say up and he says down. I say off and he says on, tc......hahahahahaahahahaahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived