Room location on CROWN - HELP

bby31288

Hi all, I just booked the Crown for July 30. I have never cruised Nowegian, before so was not sure of the cabin floor, or layout. While searching the internet my husband found our rooms, they are on the 3rd floor, which I figured because our cabin number started with 3, but they are right next to the infirmary....the only 2 inside cabins on the floor...so my question is, do I try now to upgrade and pay more? Has anyone every been on the 3rd floor on this ship, or next to the infirmary on any ship before? The inside room doesn't really bother me, I don't spend much time in the room anyway...just not sure of the location. Also, is there freestyle dining on this ship? And if it is, what the heck does that mean....HELP

I visited the Crown's infirmary on our Sept Cruise and it's rather isolated. Its hours are limited, so it should also be pretty quiet. If you have in inside cabin I can't imagine upgrading to another deck (unless you want a window.) The view's the same from all insides!

Freestyle has limited restaurant choices on the Crown: the main dining room, Le Bistro (extra charge), the Pasta Cafe, and the little Asian set-up. (See our review in the member Review section for some details.) Main advantage is eating when and with whom you please. We were pleased with the food and the lovely main dining room. Bistro was excellent, but extra $15pp (though well worth it in our opinion.)

I spent 2 weeks on deck 3 over Christmas, the infirmary was opposite me and I never once got disturbed by it. I am booked there again for another long cruise next year :)

Its very very very quiet down there and a lovely deck with superb cabin staff too :)

I'm fascinated about trying the Crown to Bermuda. We've previously cruised on 'X' Horizon and Zenith to Bermuda, but absolutely love the NCL Dawn and the Freestyle dining and the more relaxed dress code.

I know the Crown was built before Freestyle dining so is there a long wait for the dining room? I think the cabins are smaller than those on Celebrity or the Dawn but after going on the PoAm later this year, I'll know if a smaller cabin will work. BTW, we have stayed in OV and inside cabins on the 'X' ships but only balcony for the Dawn and PoAm. For the inside cabin pix, the beds were in an 'L' configuration; can they be made into a queen?

Any additional info would help and I'll search the threads for the Crown. Thanks,

I'm fascinated about trying the Crown to Bermuda. We've previously cruised on 'X' Horizon and Zenith to Bermuda, but absolutely love the NCL Dawn and the Freestyle dining and the more relaxed dress code.

I know the Crown was built before Freestyle dining so is there a long wait for the dining room? I think the cabins are smaller than those on Celebrity or the Dawn but after going on the PoAm later this year, I'll know if a smaller cabin will work. BTW, we have stayed in OV and inside cabins on the 'X' ships but only balcony for the Dawn and PoAm. For the inside cabin pix, the beds were in an 'L' configuration; can they be made into a queen?

Any additional info would help and I'll search the threads for the Crown. Thanks,

We took the Crown last year. The ship is small, the ocean view cabins are about the same size as the 'X' size, as I have taken both to Bermuda. Yes we had a queen set up on deck 4. The cabins have metal key locks, you dont use your card. There is a safe, no fridge. There was a wait in the main dining room, but the buffet was fantastic. So was Le Bistro and the free Italian restaurant. The ship wasn't set up for freestyle, but it also only holds half the amount of people as the Dawn. Any cabin will really be fine. You are one day at sea there and one day back. You will spend most your days in Bermuda ashore and there is so much to do, you wont be in your cabin that much anyway.

Thanks so much everyone for your replys...I appreciate it. Yeah, I just want an inside, so I guess it doesn't matter what deck its on....So let me get this straight, if you go to the main dining room, all ready for dinner, you may have to wait? I am so confused...LOLOL.

We were on the Crown last September, a group of 10. We made reservations for dinner one night (the formal night), and we were seated within 3 minutes of arriving. Other nights when we didn't make reservations the wait was not more than 10 mins. If you go to the main restaurant around 6 p.m. there may be a line, but it does move fast. The days were were docked we walked right up and were seated immediately, and most times there were at least 6 or 8 of us dining. The Crown is a lovely ship and well kept, with the most attentive staff I've sailed with in a long time. The cabins are quite spacious with lots of storage -- we had two dressers with mirrors, one with 3 large drawers and the other with six drawers; plus the closet space had three sections, two for hanging clothes, and one with shelves for more storage and a safe. We also had a small tabe with two chairs. Oh one other thing that I just loved; in the dresser near the bed, there was a built-in radio with 3 (or so) channels that you could listen to your choice of music. Enjoy your trip.

So let me get this straight, if you go to the main dining room, all ready for dinner, you may have to wait? I am so confused...LOLOL.

Let me try and clear Freestyle up for you.

Freestyle basically means that you can eat WHEN you want, WHERE you want, with WHO you want, and HOW you want.

If you go to the main restaurants, you just show up during their hours of operation (5:30-9:30) and ask for a table like any shore side restaurant. You will then be seated. Sometimes there is a short wait for a table, but for two people, the wait is minimul if at all.

You also do not have an assigned table or waiter. You can have different waiters each night. You also do not have assigned table mates. You can eat by yourself or ask the maitre'd to seat you with others (and they will).

If you choose the specialty restaurants, you need to make reservations ahead of time. Most specialty restaurants have a surcharge of $15-$25 per person for your meal. No surcharge in main restaurants or buffet. The buffet is also open for all meals.

The other part of Freestyle that is my favorite: You do not have to dress up for any meal!! There is an optional formal night at least once during your cruise, but if you don't want to, you don't have to. You can go to any restaurant on the ship as long as you are dressed "resort casual" Resort casual is the dress code in all restaurants (except the buffet) after 5:00 p.m., everyday. Resort Casual simply means no jeans, shorts, t-shirts, cut-offs, sweats, etc. A polo shirt and Kahkis is just fine. Only about 40% of the passengers dress up, even on formal night. (and that ranges from shirts with ties to suits to tuxes). 60% will be in resort casual. So leave the dress clothing at home!!

Finally, with Freestyle you can also stay in your cabin until called to disembark. No being herded into bars and other public areas. Stay in your cabin until your color tag is called and then march right off the ship!!

Freestyle is what keeps me at NCL!

After sailing on Dawn we were going to take Spirit to the Southern Carib, but hubby and I just decided to switch it up and do the Bermuda run on Crown in September. We haven't been there since our honeymoon 28 years ago, and figured we'd like to spend some time there again. Nice to see a thread on the Crown for a change; I know she's in S. America now and not much has been posted for quite a while. Any more interesting tidbits of information would be appreciated.

Incidentally, bby31288, I'm in an inside on Deck 4. The insides on Crown are pretty big according to industry standards. I'm sort of looking at it as an anchored hotel in Bermuda, which is one of the most expensive places to stay there is. You'll be fine.

Robin

After sailing on Dawn we were going to take Spirit to the Southern Carib, but hubby and I just decided to switch it up and do the Bermuda run on Crown in September. We haven't been there since our honeymoon 28 years ago, and figured we'd like to spend some time there again. Nice to see a thread on the Crown for a change; I know she's in S. America now and not much has been posted for quite a while. Any more interesting tidbits of information would be appreciated.

Incidentally, bby31288, I'm in an inside on Deck 4. The insides on Crown are pretty big according to industry standards. I'm sort of looking at it as an anchored hotel in Bermuda, which is one of the most expensive places to stay there is. You'll be fine.

Robin

Hi Robin:

We are sailing August 20th on the Crown (wanted to go in Sept/Oct when is is half price but we have to sail this week - am going on the Crown Princess out of Brooklyn 10/1 though). Will let you know how it is. We are in an Owners Suite which Shote Guy told me is over 600 Square feet for the cabin alone with a huge balcony. We wanted a balcony and the AB penthouse (the only other cat with a balcony) were all taken.

I go to Bermuda about 3 times a year on a cruise ship. Last year did Radisson Navigator/Celebrity Zenith/RCCL VOS (not as nice as Serenade of the Seas was). The Zenith has the best itinery of the three - four days in port, but the Crown really is best as you get all three ports - no more ferry to the Dockyard.

Jeannie

Funny how we keep finding each other here---yeah, if only I expected Crown to be half as nice as Serenade was! Basically, I have a credit on NCL I need to use up, too good to let it go to waste, so we decided on Bermuda. The September prices are really good, especially with an inside. Like I said, I'm looking at this one as a cruise for the destination, not for the ship--it's an anchored hotel for the gorgeous island of Bermuda. Since you've been there so many times, any suggestions? We do get that NCL dine ashore credit--wondering if you have any restaurant suggestions that are on that list. Look forward to hearing your review--eventually--but who wants to rush the summer by?

Robin

HI!

I'm sailing to Bermuda on the Crown July 2. I'll be sure to write a review! Let me know if there is anything you'd like me to check out for you.

Hi marianneyaya! We're sailing on July 9 so will be getting on right after you get off. Hopefully those sailing earlier will give us tips and good suggestions?

Hi Robin:

We are sailing August 20th on the Crown (wanted to go in Sept/Oct when is is half price but we have to sail this week - am going on the Crown Princess out of Brooklyn 10/1 though). Will let you know how it is. We are in an Owners Suite which Shote Guy told me is over 600 Square feet for the cabin alone with a huge balcony. We wanted a balcony and the AB penthouse (the only other cat with a balcony) were all taken.

I go to Bermuda about 3 times a year on a cruise ship. Last year did Radisson Navigator/Celebrity Zenith/RCCL VOS (not as nice as Serenade of the Seas was). The Zenith has the best itinery of the three - four days in port, but the Crown really is best as you get all three ports - no more ferry to the Dockyard.

Jeannie

Hi Jeannie:

I was wondering, as we're going on the Crown in October - do you know if the port charges are cheaper for ships that only go to, say, Hamilton, as compared to NCL going to all three ports? We only have to pay port charges for our little one but they're pricey (b/c it's Bermuda) - wondering if next time we go we should just do the one-port Bermuda trip. Thanks for any info.

Hi Jeannie:

I was wondering, as we're going on the Crown in October - do you know if the port charges are cheaper for ships that only go to, say, Hamilton, as compared to NCL going to all three ports? We only have to pay port charges for our little one but they're pricey (b/c it's Bermuda) - wondering if next time we go we should just do the one-port Bermuda trip. Thanks for any info.

We are going on NCL Majesty Boston to Bermuda. The only port is St. George's. The Gov't taxes are $114 and the port charges are $165. Don't know if there is a price in taxes and port charges between Boston and NY

We are going on NCL Majesty Boston to Bermuda. The only port is St. George's. The Gov't taxes are $114 and the port charges are $165. Don't know if there is a price in taxes and port charges between Boston and NY

OK, thanks. Port charges are the same for us, $165. Taxes are higher, though - $138.50, maybe that has something to do with NY.

My Question is, when is NCL going to post their shore excursions to Bermuda already for the 2006 sailings? It's almost the end of February, the sailings begin in May, and nothing yet. Alaska itineraries begin in May too and theirs are up. Then again, their website is always incredibly behind in everything!:mad:

Archived