October 21, 2021, Columbia and Snake Rivers cruise

My wife and I are booked on the October 21 voyage up the Columbia and Snake Rivers (the Lewis and Clark one) on the American Pride. This will be our first river cruise, and only our second cruise of any kind (the other was on a 250 cabin Aegean tour).

I've read (or at least skimmed) through the posts in this Board along with a number of reviews of the Columbia/Snake cruises. I think I have a pretty fair handle on the actual excursions and also on what to expect from American Cruise Lines in general, but I'd appreciate any insights into:

Do the ships normally dock in port overnight, or do they cruise to the next port? If they dock, is it possible to have a leisurely meal on shore? If so, any recommendations for this itinerary? Any other thoughts about the various ports of call. I do know they can change without notice.

Any thoughts on the ship American Pride itself?

I posted a question about how bumpy the jet boat rides in Hell's Canyon get on the Where Is Everyone? thread (my wife has been experiencing some back trouble), but in case you miss that, I'd love to hear your comments.

- A first time river cruiser who'd be happy to go ANYWHERE right now.

On 3/20/2021 at 4:51 PM, TouchstoneFeste said:

I posted a question about how bumpy the jet boat rides in Hell's Canyon get on the Where Is Everyone? thread (my wife has been experiencing some back trouble), but in case you miss that, I'd love to hear your comments.

Hi TouchstoneFeste,

As far as the Hell's Canyon jetboat rides go,  I was on a Cross Country Road Trip in 2019 and we took one of these day trips (5 hours).  As I suffer from back pain, I didn't notice the ride being that bumpy at all.  You may want to go on TripAdvisor and read some of the reviews there for more information.  It was a delightful day we enjoyed our ride down the canyon.

13 hours ago, NCCruzQueen said:

As far as the Hell's Canyon jetboat rides go,  I was on a Cross Country Road Trip in 2019 and we took one of these day trips (5 hours).  As I suffer from back pain, I didn't notice the ride being that bumpy at all.  You may want to go on TripAdvisor and read some of the reviews there for more information.  It was a delightful day we enjoyed our ride down the canyon.

(Forgive me if I'm double posting ... hit the wrong button)

Thanks for your thoughts. It's strange, since I had a career in IT, but I just can't get my travel information search process together; so I'm doubly grateful for the suggestion to try TripAdvisor.

• Like 1