Where are all the Jewel reviews?

2boyzmom

I'll cut to the chase: The cruise was absolutely fabulous!

DH and I had a minisuite - very nice. We were traveling with two other couples and just had a super time.

I'll leave it to my cousin, SolidGoldCruiser, to relate celebrity contact stories. Both she and our friend, Linda, met and were photographed with Gail King and Diane Sawyer. SolidGold has really cute stories to tell about all of this.

Sunday, February 5: Embarkation and Sailaway

We arrived at the Miami port around 11:00 a.m. Embarkation was such a breeze. DH and I just sailed right through. Before we knew it, we were opening the door to our minisuite.

It was my husband's birthday, and I had ordered the birthday decoration/cake package. Our minisuite was filled with floating balloons, confetti, and a big "Happy Birthday" sign. A beautiful cake had been placed on the coffee table. (It was delicious, by the way!)

I had also planned for a wine and cheese birthday/sailaway party for six. Delicious platter of cheeses, two bottles of wine (one red, one white), wine glasses, plates, etc. were delivered to our minisuite in short order.

We asked for the minibar to be removed. It was. No problem.

I will always remember sharing wine and cheese and lots of laughs with the girls on the balcony while the guys did their "guy" thing in the cabin. This little celebration for six was just perfect for getting us on our way.

The Super Bowl was on television in the cabin which was nice for football fans. I believe there were also two public places for showing the Super Bowl (not sure about that).

We had dinner at Tzars. Food and service were lovely. The Russian decor is quite stunning - loved it.

Monday, February 6: Sea Day & GOOD MORNING, AMERICA!

We were up early and found lounge chairs by the pool. It was really interesting to watch all the preparation involved with live television broadcasts.

Even though it was chilly and the wind was REALLY blowing, an excited crowd of cruisers were gathered to wish America an enthusiastic, "Good Morning."

There was something for everyone that particular morning.

For the ladies, a group of extremely handsome firefighters were onboard to participate in all kinds of activities and sell their calendars for charity. These guys were sooooooooooooooo nice. They posed for endless pictures, smiled, and charmed us all.

For the gentlemen, Victoria Secret models were walking about, modeling swim attire. I was fearful they would blow away in that wind, but they stood firm.

After the broadcast, the clouds cleared and the sun began to peek through. Had a lovely time sunning and relaxing.

Snorklin'Barb's Cruise Critic meeting was a blast. Almost everyone on our Roll Call attended. We were introduced to various important NCL folks who treated us like royalty. (Each of us was served a free drink!)

Most importantly, our Roll Call group had a chance to share pictures of family and pets. We are animal lovers and enjoyed talking about our very special babies. All of us bonded and often did things together throughout the cruise. Wonderful time - Thanks, Snorklin'Barb!

Tuesday, February 7: Roatan, Honduras

SolidGold arranged for us to spend the day at Foster's. We had been worried about the weather, but the sun didn't let us down.

I'm a beach person so it was heaven for me. Spent the day sunning and swimming and sharing good times with the group.

Sadly, DH thought he could handle the "morning sun" without sunscreen and rejected my early efforts to slather him with protection. MISTAKE! He burned badly. For the next two days, he had a rough time sleeping and had to seek shade at all times. Lesson learned the hard way!

Wednesday, February 8: Too Rough for Grand Cayman

The seas were too rough for tendering to Grand Cayman. Our group felt fine about this decision. Last year, we had gone through the process of tendering in rough seas - Had NO desire to go through that again.

Our original plan was to rent cars and drive to Rum Point. Not being able to do that, we joined the GMA broadcast early in the morning. Then, we spent lots of time by the pool, soaking up the sun. Very nice sea day.

Thursday, February 9: Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Without a doubt, this was THE most thrilling day. Fortunately for DH, the sky was overcast so he didn't have to miss anything due to his sunburn.

SolidGold had signed us up for a day with Phil Lafayette that included Dunns River Falls and river tubing.

Phil was magnificent! I can't say enough good things about him. He completely devoted himself to entertaining us, singing to us, educating us about Jamaica, getting us to the falls BEFORE tons of people arrived, advising us, and making sure we were safe at all times. Truly a very special man - a person who becomes your friend for life.

Okay - The Dunns River Falls from the perspective of an overweight, out of shape, 50+ woman who had planned to do the "dry" climb. SolidGold looked over at me and said, "Aw, come on!"

Sometimes it's best to just go without thinking about it. Don't let anyone tell you that this climb is easy for everyone. It was not a breeze for me, but I was determined, AND people helped me. When I hit a spot that required a good foothold and a long reach, I was stalled. (Couldn't find a foothold and was too short to reach anything but smooth rock.) Suddenly, I was lifted up and over by a tremendously strong guide. He stayed with me for awhile. DH was pushing me up from behind (not pretty). When the guide had to help others, two young, strong college guys took over the job of hauling me up when necessary.

Later, I realized that all of this was being filmed. I tremble to think about the various shots of me being hauled about like a bulging sack of potatoes. When I wasn't being lifted, I did my own climbing, and I climbed quite a bit.

For those of you who haven't done this type of thing, make sure you have the right water shoes. I had water socks - perfect. You MUST be able to protect your feet while you find those crevices to place your foot.

DH had excellent water sandals, BUT his feet kept slipping around inside them. He told me it was a real distraction. Invest in water socks.

Another tip: Don't be modest. Take off your coverup and wear just your swimsuit. Don't try to carry anything except a water camera. You need both your hands. And, remember that you're going to get wet - really wet. Anything you carry will become heavier once it's soaked.

Phil kept all of our things safe in his van. (The seats were covered in plastic too so you didn't have to worry about sitting all day on soggy cushions.)

Okay - After I had climbed most of the falls, I decided to move to the stairs and get out. While I was looking down at the climbers, my guide looked up and saw me on the dry stairs. "I miss you, baby!" he shouted, and I just laughed and laughed. I knew he was relieved to be rid of me.

SolidGold and her DH climbed almost to the top before getting out. Our friends, Linda and Cornell, made it all the way to the top. Kudos to them!

Next, Phil took us on an amazing tour of the island. We learned about the history, culture, cuisine, plants, economy, customs, etc. Saw Mick Jagger's home and other points of interest.

Now it was time for tubing down the river. I thought this was going to be a gentle float. It wasn't wild water rafting, but it wasn't a gentle float either. Nevertheless, it was best to just flop down in the tube and not think.

The river guides are with you all the way. You have to stay alert as you are swirled about. You will bump over rocks. (Don't worry. The tube has a solid bottom.) You will knock into the river banks. Just push off with those water shoes on your feet. You will have to watch out for branches, etc. The whole ride was so much fun and ended too soon.

Please bring enough cash to tip your favorite river guide. A young boy, Sean, took such good care of me. I grabbed $5 from DH and handed it over.

After all this adventure, Phil took us to an inexpensive restaurant for Jamaican jerk pork, chicken, and beef. Excellent! Others who didn't want to eat, were taken by Phil to shop while we ate.

DH and I were ready to return to the ship after eating. Others wanted to shop. Phil dropped the shoppers off and took us directly to the ship. He later returned for the rest of the group and made sure they boarded the ship safely.

PLEASE, please, please plan to have enough cash to tip Phil. He deserves it!

Evening dinner was at Mama's with Snorklin'Barb and the others on our Roll Call. Truly a fabulous dinner with old and new friends. Thanks again, Snorklin' Barb.

Friday, February 10: Sea Day

Last day for GMA. I'll leave it to others to tell stories about meeting Gail King and Diane Sawyer. I never heard a bad thing about either celebrity.

Pool and sun.

Our evening meal was at Tangos. Everyone else loves TexMex so I'll leave the food review to others. (I'm the type who searches the menu for SOMETHING I can eat. I found it, and dinner was fine.)

The highlight of the evening was watching "Cirque de Bijou" in the theatre. I highly recommend this show - truly astonishing and impressive - especially for a cruise ship!

Saturday, February 11: Great Stirrup Cay

For me, this was the most BEAUTIFUL and relaxing day. I got in line for tender tickets at 7:15 a.m. By 7:35, I had our early tender tickets.

I would advise trying to get to the island early so you can find the spot that suits you. We needed shade. By this time, DH could do some sun, but also needed shade. We found a lovely spot.

The water is clear, clear, clear. I rented a little $10 float and just had the best time swimming and floating and sunning.

Others were snorkeling and having a grand time.

I have to say that we had a very good group of passengers on this cruise. Even though the beach filled up, there was a relaxed and friendly feel among us. People were playing ping pong and volleyball. Lots of laughter mixed together with the sounds of the Caribbean band gave the whole day an especially nice "feel."

A variety of picnic foods were served: hamburgers, hot dogs, etc.

That night, we ate our last dinner at Tzars. Again, lovely.

Everyone returned to their cabins to pack and prepare to say farewell.

Sunday, February 12: Disembarkation

For us, it was a breeze. No problems. We were headed for Atlanta.

Others were confronted with the blizzard that caused flights to be canceled. Will have to wait to hear what happened to our friends who were trying to return to Canada, New York, Boston, etc.

I've cruised four times. The above is my first review. Hope it was helpful.

SandPebbles - thanks so much for such a timely review - everyone getting ready to pack their bags really appreciates it! Any suggestions on getting dinner reservations (places to go/places to avoid), comments on room service or any staff who were particularly wonderful?

I'm glad you had such a great cruise! We can't wait for ours!

Jen

Our group made a decision before cruising to eat in only the free restaurants.

That having been said: I heard that you should make your reservations for places like Cagney's and Mama's as soon as possible - probably right after boarding. (You don't have to pay at Mama's, but it does fill up.)

We did not make reservations for Tangos. We had to wait for about 10 minutes before they could seat us. (We were a group of six.)

I don't quite know how to describe the waitstaff at Tangos. It's a TexMex restaurant with waitresses from Romania. These ladies amused us with their no nonsense approach to serving us.

An example of dialogue between our friend, Linda, and the waitress.

Linda. I think we'll have-

Waitress. No. Not what WE will have - What will YOU have?

Later, I started to place my used fork to the side while she was clearing a dish.

Waitress (spiriting the fork away). No. You don't need that.

The menu lists "Big Bowl Chili." DH ordered this and received a HUGE bowl with a tiny bit of chili at the bottom. The contrast was so entertaining that we took pictures. (It was a gorgeous bowl, by the way.)

It was all very funny, and we weren't upset at all with the service or attitude. These ladies reminded me of an Olympic gymnastics competitor named Sventlana - really, really serious and focused. The hostess floated around and did her best to make sure everyone was happy and satisfied with the service. I was having a grand time - even though I was the only one at the table who didn't care for TexMex.

Everyone, please don't take the above to mean you should avoid Tangos. Just the opposite!

We experienced no problems at all with Tzars. I made reservations for eight on our last night, but found there was plenty of room in the restaurant when we arrived.

As far as cabin upkeep, the only little glitch was not enough towels. Once I explained that we took more than one shower per day due to beach trips, followed by dinner, the towel situation was resolved.

The only show I attended was the Cirque de Bijou. Get to the theatre early. It was jammed, and we had to stand in the back.

The buffet was very nice. I didn't have any complaints.

Food reviews are very subjective so I'm sure there are other passengers with a variety of opinions.

If you want to save a little on adult beverages, tell the waiter/waitress that you DON'T want the NCL glass - just a regular glass. Plan to spend money if you want drinks. I believe this topic has been covered to death on the boards.

Tip: We packed Crystal Lite and mixed it with cold water. This way, we avoided purchasing diet sodas.

Hope this helps.

We, too, were on last week's cruise. Sandpebbles - you have written such a positive and comprehensive review, I'm not sure I have too much to add. I'll just try to fill in a few gaps.

Embarkation - we went through the Latitude line (at 11:30am) and were in our cabin within minutes - awesome (or as they say in Jamaica "Irie"). Our cabin was on the stern (10168). If you have not tried a cabin overlooking the wake, I would highly recommend that you do so. There is no wind at all and a lovely view of the water streaming out in front of you. On the last evening, there was a full moon. Doesn't get any better than that...........

First day at sea - I was out by the pool by 6:30am and joined in the "Good Morning America" fun. The Florida firefighters was a nice added attraction, especially as they were the ones who had posed for the calendar. Need I add more? Our Cruise Critic get-together was a hoot, as we were seeing each other for the first time. Barb - let me add my thanks for organizing this. For those of you who have not yet joined in to a roll call, I would recommend this. It's a great way to meet your fellow cruisers and also some important NCL folks if you go to a CC meeting on board.

Roatan - Foster's is highly recommended. They said they would pick us up at 8:30am, and they did. When we arrived at the resort, they set up beach chairs and umbrellas for us, and we spent the day enjoying the beach. There is a restaurant there with reasonable prices. We walked down to Tabyana Beach (where the ship's excursion will take you) and snorkeled the reef. Breathtaking!

Grand Cayman - turned into a day at sea due to weather/wind conditions. It was for our own safety, and I appreciated that. I was out observing the GMA broadcast, and a lovely woman approached me and began to discuss college women's basketball (I was wearing my ODU Lady Monarchs t-shirt). Turns out she was the make-up artist for Gail King, who was filling in for Diana Sawyer. We had a great conversation in which she shared some behind-the-scenes secrets with me. I had the opportunity to meet Gail, and she is a lovely and gracious person.

Ocho Rios - I have two words - Phil Lafayette. Sandpebbles has described our day here in detail. Phil picked us up on time, made us feel very safe, and has sent me two emails since I have returned home. As he says, we are family now. What a special and dear man - a great patriot who dearly loves his country. He also treated us to his singing our the USA national anthem. The man is amazing!

(this was also the day that Diana Sawyer arrived and began broadcasting which caused a lot of excitement aboard the ship)

Day at Sea - not too much to report other than this was the day that I met Diane Sawyer and posed for photos. She was very accommodating about having her picture taken with passengers.

GSC - from reading the boards, I had very mixed feelings about even going. Boy - am I glad we did! From now on, I will research the NCL cruises that go here, as we are hoping to return. It's important that you go on one of the first tenders so you can pick out a good spot. We went out right away to snorkel. As soon as I entered the water, I began to see different varieties of fish. There is a huge rock out in the water and if you swim out to the other side, it's absolutely gorgeous. There you will see bigger fish and great underwater scenery. After lunch, my husband and I walked over to the other side of the island (1 mile) to the lighthouse and the small pier. There was no one there, and it was a nice respite from the crowds. When we returned, we walked along the rock formation on the right side (facing out) of the beach. We sat on top and just gazed at the water. I have never seen so many different colors. It was a spiritual and peaceful way to end our day there.

Disembarkation - we used the express check-out, as we had an 11am flight out of the Miami airport. We were in the airport before 8:30am.

Surprises:

(1) the cabin description lists "coffeemaker", but it is really a hot pot. I always bring my own coffee and was initially disappointed, but then I discovered the cafe latte machine in the Garden Cafe which more than made up for the lack of a coffeepot. I'm just passing this on to those of you who planned to tote your own coffee.

(2)hiking up Dunn's River Falls was a little more difficult than I had anticipated, but great fun. However, please, please do not plan to carry a small child or have one hike on his/her own own. It was appalling to see parents who were doing so. Much too dangerous for that.

(3)the river tubing was not a lazy ride whereby you could lie back and drink a Redstripe. There were times when I was spinning around, going backwards, and bumping into tree roots. The river guides do an excellent job of keeping you on course, but, again, I would not recommend this for small children.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

SolidGold is exactly right about the danger of climbing the Dunns River Falls with small children.

Parents, please consider leaving the children with one parent while the other does the climb.

If an accident happened, the situation might really be awful. That old saying: "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" still rings true.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. How old should the kids be before they climb Dunns River Falls?

Rather than put down an age, I would ask myself the following questions:

a) Is my child an experienced climber and swimmer?

b) Is my child tall enough and strong enough to reach and climb while the water rushes against him/her?

c) Is my child mature enough to understand the importance of concentration while doing the climb?

d) Is it possible my child might panic if he/she stepped into a deep hole?

e) Would I know what to do if my child slipped or sustained an injury?

f) Do I have enough medical/travel insurance if something happens to me or any member of my family?

g) Did I equip the climbers in my family with good water socks?

You will not be alone on the climb. People are all around you. The technique is to form a line with everyone reaching out and holding on to each other.

However, there are times when you just have to break the chain and use both your hands. Moreover, each climber is focused on moving forward and not getting hurt. If you are confident that your child has the skill, strength, height, and maturity to function independently, things will most likely go well. This is a judgment each parent would have to make.

Whew! Hope I'm giving sound advice. Anyone with more experience than I, please jump in here!

If Cirque de Bijou begins at 7:30, I would try to grab a seat before 7:00. I'm saying that because we arrived just as the show was starting, and there were no seats. It's really a must see - very, very good!

Glad SolidGold and I made you laugh. We find humor to be the nectar of life, and we try to sip often!

Thank you so much for your review.

We are booked on the Jewel in March, also in a mini-suite. We are traveling with our two teenage daughters. Was there plenty of storage in the mini-suite. Do suitecases fit under the bed?

We will do Phil Lafayette's tour in Jamaica. I'm always happy to read good reviews about Phil. We're really looking forward to meeting him. We're not planning on climbing the falls. DH and I did that years ago and we don't know if we need to do it again. We will be doing the river tubing. Glad to hear it's not too slow. DDs are on the adventerous side.

I hope we get to go to Great Stirrup Cay. It sounds great!

We want to try Mama's for sure but I'm reluctant to make reservations at the beginning of the cruise. It kind of defeats the whole Freestyle idea to be committed to eating at a certain time. Is it possible that four could get in on the spur of the moment?

Thanks again!

Hi!

DH is excellent at storing suitcases. We had two huge ones and two smaller. One huge one fit on the shelf - top of closet. (Have no clue where he put the second huge one, but he found some place.)

I know the smaller ones (on wheels) fit under the bed.

There's a nice closet with a light. Drawers and shelves are all about. You should be able to unpack without a problem.

Throughout the ship, there are monitors that show you the capacity of every restaurant. Just keep checking them. I'm sure you'll find times when Mama's can take walk in customers. I must say that I did hear over and over that Mama's fills up. We had reservations for Thursday night for our Cruise Critics dinner, arranged by the amazing Snorklin'Barb.

Enjoy your cruise!

First, let me say that Mama's is definitely worth one or two visits. It was my favorite of all the restaurants.

When we first boarded the ship, we went to the Reception Desk and looked at the notebook that they keep there with all the menus for the entire week. We picked two nights that did not appear to be all that interesting in the main dining rooms, and those were the nights that we selected Mama's and Tango's, respectively.

We made our reservations for Mama's, but not Tango's. However, if you do not want to be scolded (in a loud voice) by the Svletlana impersonator, I suggest you make reservations at Tango's also..................and make sure you order the BIG BOWL of Chili.

As far as taking children to Dunn's Falls, I would only do so if they are capable of climbing and swimming on their own. Do not plan to be able to hold their hands at all times. There were times when I was using both hands and feet and still struggling to keep myself going. My grandsons are 10, 6, & 5, and I would take them, but they are accomplished swimmers and very used to water and hiking.

A child who is unaccustomed to the water would be very frightened, I think, especially at times when he/she was unable to hold your hand.

Archived