What's wrong with a two-class ship?

colleency

John,

What about the people who turn left on boarding the plane, rather than right? Would you abolish class distinction on aircraft too? And why would you assume that the people (literally) looking down on you are doing so figuratively too? As Eleanor Roosevelt observed 'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent'. If you wish to enjoy your 'bawdy peasant' pleasures, why would you wish to deny them theirs?

Peter

A member of the Vieux Pauvre......

I guess it stems from the old Mark Twain saying “The cat, having sat upon a hot stove lid, will not sit upon a hot stove lid again. But he won't sit upon a cold stove lid, either.”

I've had the personal experience of being looked down on by upper class type people. I don't relish (and tend to resent) the possibility of it happening again. So, when my "charitable" button is in the off position, I'm guilty of making blanket judgements about those who fall into that "upper class" category as people who might do so again.

Of course, when I think about it for a minute or two I realize just what John said...."people are people" and someone doesn't necessarily need to be rich in order to display that kind of behavior or poor in order to be nice.

Not to worry,

For those who have not yet looked at the deck plans, tehre are two separate areas of "upper decks" on aft, with those icky grill types <G> and one forward with the sports decks.

And one of these days i will get around to uploading my pirate costumed picture, which is actaully a serving wench outfit. I'd have had much more fun as a serving wench (carry five tankards of ale at once and getting "me bottom pinched along the way" ) than those stuffy nobles. And just imagine trying to keep those awful drafty castles clean! much better my dirt-floored hovel!

Karie,

Who rather thinks she makes a great tart! Something I couldn't be as a noble! (No, not the kind you eat, the kind you act like!)

i prob wont be able to ever travel "grill" but i dnt feel it as a prob!

1. if one person is paying £1000 for a crossing and another is paying g£15000. surley the second is entitled to an extra something

2. its not as if its like the Titanic with big gates and barriers up. all classes share the same decks etc

3. with the dinning rooms in mind.the 2 Grill restaurants can be found in any good hotel on shore. the Brittania is a masterpeice that is unlikely to be found on shore. i would rather dine somewhere atmospheric like that.

but i've never travelled yet so maybe im not an expert. just my opinions

From guernseyguy: "If you wish to enjoy your 'bawdy peasant' pleasures, why would you wish to deny them theirs"?

I would never wish to deny any Grill pax the pleasure of being a "bawdy peasant," especially in the evening at the bar or disco where we would be partying together :D if any weren't comatose at such a horrid hour. Because we all know how exciting those exclusive Grill rooms are after dinner.

John

(who will be with his partner Shawn, both in Tuxedos on the Sports Deck, forward of the lovely outdoor Grill Lounge terrace, having a "romantic moment" together in the moonlight :p )

er dinner.

John

(who will be with his partner Shawn, both in Tuxedos on the Sports Deck, forward of the lovely outdoor Grill Lounge terrace, having a "romantic moment" together in the moonlight :p )

So THAT's why they call you "Sport", eh?

If I see y'all there, I will be sure to give yuo a LITTLE bit of privacy.... But not too much. After all, I would be a fellow peasant! Might lift a pint to you both, though!

Karie, Who is a classy lassy, even if I ain't in Grill! <G>

John and Shawn, both in Tuxedos on the Sports Deck, having a "romantic moment" together in the moonlight :p )

Enjoy your sport on the Sports deck! Of course, we don't yet know how the 'Hemispheres' Room with its 270 degree views is going to work - so you may have quite an audience........

Peter

Personally, I don't spend that much time in my cabin.

The last place I want to invest my cash is in my cabin.

The smart folks spend where their investment is highest; mine is what I can take home with me!

All in where you want to spend/invest.

So THAT's why they call you "Sport", eh?

If I see y'all there, I will be sure to give yuo a LITTLE bit of privacy.... But not too much. After all, I would be a fellow peasant! Might lift a pint to you both, though!

Karie, Who is a classy lassy, even if I ain't in Grill! <G>

Karie,

Am I to understand you'll be on the Hawaii cruise too?:)

Tracy

Hi everyone -

Just have to pass on the news that the forthcoming Queen Victoria has TWO ENTIRE DECKS that are ONLY for Princess/Queens Grill pax.

The top two decks of the ship.

What do we think about this?

John

(personally, dismayed)

Me? Chilled about it in most respects. Save that the layout is spoiled by the brats screaming area being immediately below.

They are, of course, two very small decks!

I think it is an excellent arrangement, but then I don't suppose I'd sail other than grill class.

You can't tell who is on the signal deck, or deck 5, by looking. Unless you overhear someone spending money, you won't know where they are on the ship.

quote]

True. And why in the world would it matter to anyone?

Why indeed? What I was essentially saying is that there is no difference in the passengers that can be attributed to the cabin they choose.

Rule Brittannia!

I went queens grill class on my last QM2 cruise and found that there were many who paid half as much as I and got upgraded to queens. The queens grill dining room was overcrowded and I got inside info that the brittania might be better in some respects.

so I am going Brittania on my next cruise!

Me? Chilled about it in most respects. Save that the layout is spoiled by the brats screaming area being immediately below.

They are, of course, two very small decks!

I think it is an excellent arrangement, but then I don't suppose I'd sail other than grill class.

Ahem.....*brat* screaming area?

Tracy - Mother of a 3 year old who is definitely not a screaming brat....well.....not anymore than your average person, at any rate.

You guys are so astute to have noticed that the kids' area is right below the Grills!! I missed that fact. Both the teens' area and children's' area flank the Grill Lounge outdoor "terrace." Also, these deck areas directly below the Grill deck seem to be completely open to the "promenading" public... screaming children, uncouth "peasant" passengers walking by, making silly noises and maybe screaming with the kids, all having so much fun... LOL

But I personally will only get the chance to enjoy this scenario if I get a free cruise, somehow. QV doesn't seem to be my kind of ship. Unless Cunard decides to upgrade service to Seabourn standards on the her ;) And get those Princess "designers" overboard!

Maybe a very wealthy older couple would care to adopt me? Grandma, Grandpa? Are you out there??

John :p

laughing hysterically

Each to his own......

To be honest I'd prefer if ships were 18+ only. But I expect to be disagreed with!

Well, if that were the case, I'd be unable to go on these lovely cruises and give my daughter exposure to beautiful and exotic places or let her see some of the world outside her own borders.

It would certainly put a crimp in my vacationing. Personally I see nothing wrong with bringing well behaved children along on vacation.....maybe not a big game safari hunt, but certainly on a cruise.

Tracy - Who doesn't believe being a parent means you should be under house arrest or being a three year old means you should be quarantined.

Being popular still does not make McDonalds haute cusine!:) I'm sure you'll enjoy RCCL, HAL.......but then again, don't they have lounges reserved for the use of frequent cruisers - no, surely not, after all, America is classless....'all men created equal' and all that......

Peter

Denial isn't a river in Egypt......

Peter

RCCL has a Conceirge Lounge for those in suites providing complimentary drinks. Am not sure if those with the elite credits in the "Crown and Anchor" club have acess. Plus those who are not in suites or a certain level of C&A not longer get bathrobes and other ammenities.

Jeanne

Personally I see nothing wrong with bringing well behaved children along on vacation.....maybe not a big game safari hunt, but certainly on a cruise.

Tracy - Who doesn't believe being a parent means you should be under house arrest or being a three year old means you should be quarantined.

Hear, hear!

Screaming, shouting, pushing and tantrums. Right, so that's the adults, now what about those children!

For anybody, not just children, good behaviour and respect for others is always important.

Phileas

Who thought he had better keep the sermon short;)

And one of these days i will get around to uploading my pirate costumed picture, which is actaully a serving wench outfit. I'd have had much more fun as a serving wench (carry five tankards of ale at once and getting "me bottom pinched along the way" ) than those stuffy nobles. And just imagine trying to keep those awful drafty castles clean! much better my dirt-floored hovel!

Karie,

Who rather thinks she makes a great tart! Something I couldn't be as a noble! (No, not the kind you eat, the kind you act like!)

So Karie, if your the tart, what does that make Marc?? (no offense intended!)

Karie, referring to a previous thread, I had an allergy test a few years back and on the standard test, everything reacted! I suspect that for any shot to work properly, it would have so many things in it, that the result would be more problems caused by the liquid cocktail (unfortunately of the non alcoholic variety!)

Phileas

Who can't wait to see your wench outfit:D

Archived