Is it true about the Glory??

BEEZALAR

I'm sure someone on every cruise will say it's terrible and someone else will say it's great. I wouldn't worry about an occassional bad review, but I also wouldn't put a lot of stock in a occassional rave review either. However, if you see a pattern developing in reviews----

And to say the weather was terrible---I certainly wouldn't hold that against the Glory

-Monte

There was a post just below this one giving the Glory a thumbs up. Weather is something no cruise line has control over - even as big as Carnival is - but it can also just ruin a cruise for some people.

You will find on this site, reviews with polar opposite feelings about the cruise - so you have to learn to sort them out.

Some people have one thing go wrong - weather maybe - and then the whole cruise is doomed - that is more the individual than the cruise.

Hey Trisha!

The Glory was fine when we went. The ship can't do much about the weather and if Mark Price is still the CD it would still be fun if all they served was fast food burgers and fries. His "Robin Hood" is one of the funniest things we have ever seen (it did not hurt that his Maid Marion played[plays?] for the Dallas Cowboys).

We just did the Glory 1/28 sailing, western itinerary. Of course the weather was great that week (bit of rain 1 day, then downpour Fri nite through Sat. morning) But everything was terrific. We found the entertainment was good, the activities going on all day and night were so much fun, we got involved in everthing which made it great. The food was good some days and great others but never bad. This was only my 5th cruise so I am not a pro, but I really thought the whole Glory experience was one I would do again. Hope you have fun!:cool:

Well, I think you need to take what this girl says in perspective with her character. You know her better than anyone on this board. Is she easy-going and relaxed or nit-picky and uptight? Or some where in between? On outings, will one bad event ruin everything else and make her unhappy the entire day, or does she take each thing as it comes and roll with the punches? I think that's why anyone should take the reviews on this site, positive or negative with more than a few grains of salt. Without knowing if the people posting the reviews are optimists or pessimists, it's hard to tell if a bad review is merely a result of being a "negative Nancy" or if the cruise was truly horrible. Since you (presumably) know this girl, you're in the best position to decide how seriously you can take her word. So, you may need to worry, or you may just have to smile sympathetically at her, pat her on the head, and say, "There, there. It must have been just terrible." :D

It definitely is amazing how much a person's point of view can color a trip.

On my last cruise, there was a lady cussing out every Carnival rep she could find about having to line up to board, how she paid good money, etc. I bet she had a WONDERFUL cruise .... ;)

We were on the first cruise after dry dock, probably the one you are remembering as being most negative. True, there were some issues on our trip. We attribute most of the "challenges" we experienced on board to be issues with new staff. If you read our review, you will see that we had many positives about our trip - many more positives than negatives. Biggest problem was there were lot's of staff turnover after a dry dock. Many new crew, brand new crew all learning their job. Food issues, yes we had quite a few. And I am sure some of those will be worked out too. We still had a terrific time on board, and compared to the last couple of cruises, we had wonderful weather, just windy.

We are already booking another cruise in the late fall on the Inspiration so we can get our parents addicted to cruising too. Everything - work, school, friends, vacation, life - is what you make it! :D

If you would like to see the capers from our cruise, click here. I have them posted now. :)

There was a post just below this one giving the Glory a thumbs up. Weather is something no cruise line has control over - even as big as Carnival is - but it can also just ruin a cruise for some people.

You will find on this site, reviews with polar opposite feelings about the cruise - so you have to learn to sort them out.

Some people have one thing go wrong - weather maybe - and then the whole cruise is doomed - that is more the individual than the cruise.

Those were my thoughts also...... I usually try to look at the good and have fun no matter. The weather is a big factor and as said, carnival can't control that, but I still feel sorry for people that can't try and find a bright side. Also wondered if Feb is usually a bad month weather wise. Trisha

Those were my thoughts also...... I usually try to look at the good and have fun no matter. The weather is a big factor and as said, carnival can't control that, but I still feel sorry for people that can't try and find a bright side. Also wondered if Feb is usually a bad month weather wise. Trisha

I can't speak for all of Feb. But I have been actively watching the weather for next week and the following. Seem most every western port of call is average of 80 degrees and partly sunny.

Trisha,

DH and have done at least half dozen cruises in Feb. and have always enjoyed good weather. May not next time, but will have fun anyway. ;) This year we are having to wait until May :( because of some unexpected expenses. The waiting is miserable :p. 81 days and counting until the Glory! So much depends on one's attitude. I say have an 'attitude of gratitude'! :D Was it Jimmy Buffet who said if life throws you a lemon, make lemonade? Whoever said it was right. Stay positive.

Luv's Crusin'

I have to admit, the Glory was our least favorite cruise. That said, we still had a great time. The layout of this ship makes it a little difficult to get from point A to point B. The weather was perfect when we went but the ship rocked, a lot. It was sometimes dificult to walk without holding on to something. Just a design flaw, maybe? The entertainment, particularly the live music was severely lacking. And the food was just not the best. Anyways, we still had a blast. It's all about attitude. For us, cruising is like pizza or sex. Even if it's bad, it's still ok. And it has been a couple years since we went, so maybe it has changed :)

We were on the Feb.4th- 11th cruise. There was a fair amount of rain, and several days it was windy enough to close off the very top decks. Big deal, we just did something else.

The first steak DH had was a little over done. But the filet and the prime rib were very good.

We had one show cancelled because there had been a scenery malfunction in the early show. No one was hurt.

If there were long lines in the Red Sail we just went to one of the other serving lines. Many people just stopped at the first one.

Dh talked to Mark Price several times and told him we were a bit apprehensive after reading the reviews from the first week out of drydock. He said it was disorganized mostly because they were understaffed due to some new people that were seasick.

He said they do monitor CC. He also said that by the 3rd week out of drydock(ours) he said that they were really coming together- faster that some other years ( this is Marks' 10th year).

Every one we saw was really doing a hard job, someone was always cleaning something, windows, railings, etc. And as far as being freindly, everyone we came upon, immediately stopped what they were doing, made eye contact, smiled and said hi or good morning. They would wait until you went by before continuing, so as not to interfere with you.

We also came to the aid of 8 Cuban refugees as by maritime law we must assist as we were the closest. We made up all the time lost and got to St. Thomas on tiem.

We had a really great time. And are already thinking about where we want to go next.

We just did the Glory 1/28 sailing, western itinerary. Of course the weather was great that week (bit of rain 1 day, then downpour Fri nite through Sat. morning) But everything was terrific. We found the entertainment was good, the activities going on all day and night were so much fun, we got involved in everthing which made it great. The food was good some days and great others but never bad. This was only my 5th cruise so I am not a pro, but I really thought the whole Glory experience was one I would do again. Hope you have fun!:cool:

I was on this sailing as well and had a fabulous cruise! My best cruise yet actually!!

My beef was also overcooked the first night. The second time I odered beef the portion was very small but it was very tasty. Steak in the Supper Club was fantastic and all of my other meal selections were great as well.

I bumped into Mark Price in the hallway by an elevator one evening (he was with Percy Crews - the comedian) and we had a fun chat! Other than that I only saw him at designated events and only saw Wee Jimmie when he was hosting events as well until the last day when we were waiting to get off the ship.

Have been on 46 cruises including a dozen on Carnival. Have cruised on the Glory. No cruise was perfect, but all were nearly so. Food? There is an extensive menu each eve. One may order all of anything they want, including every last thing on the menu. Have I had items that were not good? Yes, you send them back or order something else. If anybody can't find anything edible on the entire menu, well, they're just looking to complain.

Weather? I guess she failed to go on Carnivals website and click on weather to order up whatever kind she wanted. Or maybe her fellow pax all clicked on rotten weather so she was outvoted.

On almost every cruise I have run into a COMPLAINER and universally their complaints have been unreasonable or stemmed from a lack of knowledge. If its the latter, I try to educate, if its the former, I remember a pressing appointment at the other end of the ship. And run like he11.

Lastly, I don't read cruise, restaurant, or movie reviews. Experience has taught me that my opinion differ [happily]

Dan

I agree with many things said here,especially what Dan40 says about opinions..I have cruised about 14-15 times and all were great..some better than others,some worse...incredibly.the 2 cruise lines who's reputation is supposedly "the high-end" cruise lines,HAL & Celebrity,we liked the LEAST!! We loved Princess,NCL,RCL & Carnival...remember-there are often between 2000-3500 passengers on board,so forget gourmet food...if it's as good as TGI Friday's or the Outback,we're happy-never cruise for food,unless you're on Crystal or RadissonSeven Seas,which costs $$$ more,don't expect much.We thought the food on HAL'S Westerdam was mediocre,while Celebrity's was very good,but entertainment was awful and average age on both was death..we're 53 & 51 and we were 25-30 years younger than most cruisers....it IS all attitude..can't help the weather either.....I find 2 things vary alot:entertainment and service/staff/crew...it's nice to see smiling faces,especially knowing many work 70-80 hr. weeks on board for 6 months straight away from their families....some ships have a "stuffy" feel to them because of clientel,crew,etc.On RCL's AOS, we went last May and I was amazed how a 142,000 ton ship could have so much going on at once,then you back to your cabin(we had an aft Jr. Suite-nice!) and it's soooooo quiet and comfy.......We like options and variety,and the cruise lines I mentioned all have that,while Celebrity & HAL are more "traditional" in their approach.Sly Stone said it perfectly in 1969 :"Different Strokes For Different Folks"...if you were to tell 100 experienced cruisers you preferred the Carnival Triumph over the Celebrity Mercury or HAL's Westerdam,they would tell you you're crazy.....guess we're crazy!

Big Al

One thing I forgot to mention, every single cruise is different. Even if its the same ship, same itinerary, it will not be the same. I've done a couple of back to back cruises, the first week completely different from the second. Not that one was good and one was bad, just different. In Nov. we did a 2 week cruise on Princess. There were 400 Americans and 1200 Brits aboard. Halfway thru [barbados] most of the 1200 Brits debark and were replaced by a new set of Brits. Even tho we were separated by a common language, the second week was different [and a little more fun]

So sail your own cruise since you CANNOT sail someone else's anyhow. And your opinion is not just as valid, its more pertinent.

Dan

Archived