best scuba diving in Hawaii ????

lolo425

Hi All,

My DH love to dive. Does it in Seattle area(in a dry suit:o ) and have dived in Great barrier reef and the Rhone in the BVI. We are going on a family trip to Hawaii (PofA 4/22). Because this is a family trip my DH just wants to do one dive and would like to get everyone opinion on which one are the best so his time away is well spent:D He usually likes the small dive shop experience if that helps

Thank you for all your wonderful advice,

LOLO

Lolo,

Will you guys be in Oahu for a couple of days before your cruise?? If so, check out AAA diving.... I dove with them off Oahu and it was awesome... He has his own boat (no competing for space on a large boat), does small dive groups and I felt a great instructor.... Both safe/fun.... His name is Alex.. I did a dive in Maui with Lahaina divers but it was a big cattle boat type thing and not a great dive as far as what we saw.... Great for me as I'm new to diving and was excited of diving outside my city....lol...That's my 2 cents worth......:p

Many thanks Cruzegirl for your recommendation,

I checked out the aaa diving web site and it sounds like just the dive operation I'd like to use when I'm there in March. Can you tell me what sites you dove and did you use any of his equipment? I'm wavering on whether or not to haul my BCD and regulator and other stuff with me for just one day of diving.

Thank you!!!

We are getting on the PofA in Maui (fly in the same day as boarding)( It is our first cruise so I didn't know better:D ) but have a 7am to 8pm day in Oahu so it might work. I will have to contact them.

Thanks again. All other advice is welcome too. The more I learn the better the trip will be. (Never had a bad vacation anywhere yet;) )

The best place to dive in the Hawaiian islands is at the Kona coast. Probably because it is the southermost island, there is more coral growth compared to others. Also because of the mountains on the Big Island shielding the wind, the Kona coast is calmer and have good visibility.

Kona also is the only place where you can do a night Manta Ray dive. Too bad I was only there for the day and couldn't do that. We had 6 people so were chartered a boat. I dived while my wife and friends snorkeled on the top. Saw a lot of fish, turtles, and 2 eagle rays.

You can check this out:

http://www.scubaboard.com/member.php?u=860

I checked out a lot of shops and asked many questions. In Oahu, I ended up diving with Capt. Bruces in west Oahu and was glad I did. Capt. Randy had his own boat. I did my AOW with this shop. The instructor Kevin was great. We dove 2 wrecks, the Makaha Cavern (should do this at least once, swimming thru caverns created by lava flows long ago), and drift dive.

One good site to check out is Scuba Board, Hawaii forum

http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=291

AAA had the cheapest rate in Oahu. There were some threads in Scuba Board with a lot of discussions. Some liked AAA, many didn't. He (and many other ops) couldn't do a night dive, but Capt. Randy (of Capt. Bruce's dive shop) promised he can. He'll either set one up near Waikiki (where I stayed) for the night dive, or he will do it with his boat in west Oahu. Turned out the guy he set me up with near Waikiki cancelled out two days before, and Capt. Randy honoured that and was going out with just me. That night one instructor from Kona joined in the dive so there were the two of us with my instructor Kevin.

Anyway, you'll find there are lots of fish/turtles, and may see dolphins. There isn't as much coral growth as in the Carribeans. But you'll be in paradise and diving/snorkeling should be very enjoyable.

East Tex and Lolo

Your welcome for the info... I just really liked when I talked with him and the info. he had.. When I originally booked it was before the gas prices went nuts.. When I re-confirmed, he honored the original quote which was $30 cheaper for the dives.. You know he was "eating" some of the cost.. So I just tipped him well.. I used my own gear as I'm a newer diver and knew I'd feel more comfortable with my own stuff... But I saw his gear for the other 3 and it was newer equipment in good condition.... Now he had "his" stuff that is varied... Many selections.. Do realize, it's not like a liveaboard.. it's a dive boat with a head but no bunks.... Out here in California, most of our dive boats are liveaboard style... But a newer boat and in great condition... But his safety questions for me and what I saw sold me.... and it's a small group.. I like that individual service....

The dive sites were off Honolulu.... We could see the airport from the ocean.... One was called the Pinnacles and the other was his "private" dive site....lol..top secret.....

Middleager is right though..... it's not the pristine coral and colors like in the caribbean..... colorful, pretty fish but the coral is not as pretty.... We didn't dive wrecks....None of us were qualified.... Check out the couple of sites.... I think you'd enjoy Alex but remember to have a sense of humor....He definitely has one.......:D :rolleyes:

Here's a photo of a turtle we saw....

Archived