Bummed out about going to Roatan

houstoncruisers2001

We have been all over the Western Caribbean to various ports of call, but for some reason going to Roatan has me bummed out. I usually look forward to going to some place new, but from what I've been reading on these boards, I might just stay on the ship. I'm sooooo depressed.

Just wondering if others feel the way I do.

With no disrespect intended, I think you've been reading the wrong posts. Last year's stop at Roatan was the highlite of our Western Carribean cruise. It was great to see a beautiful place not destroyed by the influence of $$$ and Western influence. See it now before this happens to this beautiful island. We're going back this year for a week in March and if time and $$$ allow, we'll go a few more times in the upcoming years.

Mac

I am confused?

What are you bummed out about specifically...

We loved West Bay Beach and shopping at West End...It was one of the best days of our last trip...Our friends are going back for a whole week to volunteer at the orphanage there! We loved Roatan...we just didn't like the port city of Coxen Hole where the ship docks...every where else was beautiful!

Picture below of the views from the jungle hills of Roatan...An NCL ship is in the background of the harbor!

?view=att&disp=attd&attid=0.1&th=108beeb9775d42bc

Here is a link to my review of my day in Roatan:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=273872

I heard from a friend that if you visit Roatan that you cannot give blood in the US for a year. Has anyone else heard that? What can you possibly catch there that you can't catch on any other Island? I find this odd. We will be visiting Roatan later this year.

It was great to see a beautiful place not destroyed by the influence of $$$ and Western influence.

Not influenced by $$$???? The cabs there cost more than they do on Grand Cayman. I guess, I know it's beautiful, but there doesn't seem to be alot to do. Most people rent vans & a driver and just drive around. Right?

I booked Victor Bodden, 25 a day and he will take you everywhere! We fed the spider monkeys at Fantasy Island, this did not cost us a dime except for buying the nuts from a street vendor for a dollar, some of our group did the zip line for 45 dollars, then the iguana farm for 5 dollars, and then shopping, the beach and plenty of sightseeing.

It was the highlight of our cruise out of Houston on the Dream. Don't miss it.

Julie

I heard from a friend that if you visit Roatan that you cannot give blood in the US for a year. Has anyone else heard that? What can you possibly catch there that you can't catch on any other Island? I find this odd. We will be visiting Roatan later this year.

That is not just Roatan, you can't donate after most caribbean cruises.

I booked Victor Bodden, 25 a day and he will take you everywhere! ...

Julie

Isn't that "$25 a day" per person?! We have 3 young kids, so it'd be $125 for my family of 5...that's expensive anywhere you go!

...........but from what I've been reading on these boards, I might just stay on the ship. I'm sooooo depressed.

Just wondering if others feel the way I do.

Actually Roatan and Belize are the two ports I'm looking forward to the most. Here is a link that has some neat videos from Roatan:

http://www.gatorclaw.com/voyageofvalor

Click on Chapter 6 to watch the Roatan video. Also check out the following thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=160970

Go to the bottom of the first post and click on the link to see 152 gorgeous pictures from Tabyana in Roatan. Hope this helps you feel a little better about this port.

John

I thought so too...

but most of the NO Donating rules apply to if you go more than 50 miles inland in any central or south american country...If you are just in the port or nearby they don't count...sorry...bleed away! The only time I couldn't donate was after we went far into the yucatan to see the ruins at chichen itza in Mexico....

Isn't that "$25 a day" per person?! We have 3 young kids, so it'd be $125 for my family of 5...that's expensive anywhere you go!

We went with Cinthia and Diana with the Roatan Cab company...to snorkel at West Bay Beach and hang out at the most beautiful beach at the Mayan Princess there and then we went shopping in West End...and then went to an orphanage...we only paid $15 per adult....(but we had a big group...I heard they charge $20 normally).... the kids were half of that...kids under 2 were free! They stayed with us all day long...PEOPLE SHOULDN'T CHARGE THE SAME FOR KIDS AS ADULTS!

Their email is jacksong2005@yahoo.com - email them and ask what they would charge and give them the ages of your kids and ask them what the child's price is...

If you like seafood, don't miss the local lobster. I can vouch for Fosters and Half Moon Bay Restaurant, and I know there are others, where a fantastic lobster dinner is $15 - $17. Also, the local drink called the Monkey Lala is fantastic. As for blood, I couldn't donate for a year because of visit to (pick one) Playa Del Carmen, Roatan, Belize. Price for an all-day driver/car/guide is typically $25 per person up to 4, over 4 gets a break, and kids are cheaper. It is a great value, as you get a guided tour to the places YOU decide you want to go to, security for your "stuff" while you are on the beach, eating at a restaurant, shopping, or whatever else you want to do. Think of it: If you lived in a tourist area, could you afford to guide a group all day in your own vehicle for only $100 per day?

Snorkeling from the beach is great in many places, and equipment can be rented for $6. Just use DEET to keep off the sand fleas if you spend any time on the beaches.

Check out some of the Roatan sites for taxi fares. Walk away from the dock and bargain for a better fare. Rent a car or scooter for the day. We found tons to do. As far as western influence, I was talking about mega hotels door to door and McDonalds on every corner. I was in Cozumel 30 years ago and last year. That would be a great example of what our influence can do to what I thought once was a great destination.

As for blood, my wife was told about the one year rule (Canada) She may donate platlets but not blood. They lump Honduras and Central America into one group.

Mac

I booked Victor Bodden, 25 a day and he will take you everywhere! We fed the spider monkeys at Fantasy Island, this did not cost us a dime except for buying the nuts from a street vendor for a dollar, some of our group did the zip line for 45 dollars, then the iguana farm for 5 dollars, and then shopping, the beach and plenty of sightseeing.

It was the highlight of our cruise out of Houston on the Dream. Don't miss it.

Julie

We are planning on doing the zip lines when we visit Roatan in March. I have read that you can only book through the cruise line. Please let me know if this is true, and how you managed to take the tour yourself? We also plan to visit the orphanage and go to either Salt and Pepper or Fosters for Lunch and snorkeling.

I have no idea where Paul David of Salt & Peper is operating out of, if he is operating at all as a Tour Operator. Your best bet is to go to Fosters directly or another resort on West Bay Beach.

Island Dweller

Hey..Island Dweller...like the picture I posted...I couldn't help it...it is such a beautiful shot...I miss Roatan...How are you doing???

Check out Bodden tours at www.boddentours.com As for Paul David of Salt & Pepper, Victor told us two weeks ago that he hadn't seen Paul for a quite a while. We went with Paul last year. As for ziplines, I understand there is more than one. One is exclusive to ship tours, but the other is available for walk-ins. Email Victor, and he can tell you.

I have no idea where Paul David of Salt & Peper is operating out of, if he is operating at all as a Tour Operator. Your best bet is to go to Fosters directly or another resort on West Bay Beach.

According to Salt & Pepper's website (http://www.roatansaltnpepper.com/index.html), they are operating out of the Lost Paradise Inn in West End. I inquired last week about their Discovery Scuba course via the website, and Paul David replied the next day.

I couldn't get your link to work, but this one does:

http://www.roatansaltnpepper.com/

John

Thank You all for the responses. I have been in touch with Diana and Cinthia from Roatan Cabs, and we will probably use them for our day in Roatan. Quoted 2 people $30/each or 4 or more $20/each, and we don't have to pay upfront.;)

Mfan, that was for the adults. We had one child and he was free. Victor doesn't charge for children 5 and under I believe. You would have to email him and ask what he charges for the children over 5.

We felt it was well worth the money considering what the ship charges for tours. I know there are several others who do the same thing in Roatan as Victor and they all come with reccomendations from past cruisers. I think anyone of those given a thumbs up on this board would make your stop in Roatan memorable.

Julie

Archived