Anyone Recently Obtain A Passport

DB019

I just applied for a passport and was advised to allow 6 weeks for receipt (elected not to expedite). I'd be interested in hearing actual results of how close to the 6 week estimate people are experiencing.

Thanks

DB

I am a postmaster and we process about 2 to 3 passports a day at our post office.

In my experience, it depends on when you apply. Lately, it has been taking about 4 or 5 weeks for routine delivery. As we get into March, April, and May, it usually takes closer to the full six weeks to receive your passport as everyone is applying for passports for their summer vacations.

However, to be on the safe side you should probably just allow for the full six or seven weeks no matter when you apply as the deadline for mandatory passport requirements approaches for all travel outside of the United States. This will even include driving to Canada by the end of 2007 so as that date gets closer the amount of passport applications will probably increase dramatically.

In my opinion, if you know you are going to need a passport in the next year or so I would get it as soon as possible. I wouldn't rely on past experience for turnaround time as I believe demand will be increasing soon and may not subside like it normally does for quite awhile.

Hope this helps someone.

Fmark

Thanks everyone for your responses. It appears there is no clear cut average with results anywhere from 2-3 weeks to > 7 weeks. So, I won't get overly optimistic that I should expect anything in less than 5 weeks.

Again, thanks to everyone for sharing their responses.

DB

Took about 5 weeks for mine but DH hasn't received his yet and we applied the same day! I'm getting nervous, we called and they said they're still processing it and couldn't give us an estimate we don't leave til April but what if something is wrong with it??:eek:

Archived