Just back from the LIRICA, too!

deck chair

Hi Gang:

I too just returned from an 11 day cruise on Lirica (2/4/06 through 2/15/06) I will share my complete thoughts a bit later but let me just sum it up: Great ship, international passenger complement, great service, great ambiance, great cruise staff, great front office and shore excursion staff, really good musical groups, BUT SOME OF THE MOST MEDICORE (AND WORSE) FOOD IN THE WORLD!!!!!! (A sentiment widely shared by many passengers.)

More later.

Patrick

Baltimore

Patrick-

Eagerly awaiting your longer posting... but sounds like (with the exception of the food) you enjoyed Since it seems food is likely THE MOST CONTROVERSIAL of thing rated (just think of the varied responses to sashimi, or hot curries, or durians) and we're pretty omnivorous, we're delighted!

Just a few questions, if I may.

Did you generally arrive in ports around the stated time?

After conflicting reports, can we bring liquor purchased from the onboard duty free back to the rooms?

Were there dining options between meals? How were the late-night buffets? (we often prefer being 'grazers' some days) Do they still close the dining room doors 15 min after stated start time?

Thanks again

Steve (and John)

I was on the same cruise. I believe that you received good value for your money. Sure some meals were disappointing and the buffets became boring ...but you can't expect extravagance on a modest cruise price. You want extravangance go Celebrity ,Princess or Holland American.My complaints! The deck chairs were built for sunning, not reading. The ship did not go into the Panama Canal.The buffets were recycled dinner foods (which is Ok), but after a week they turned me off. The Lirica is for the 40 + who enjoy an Italian wedding atmosphere and don't expect "Las Vegas glitz". It meets European expectations and is trying to appeal to Americans.

Frank

Norbeck ,Md

Steve/John:

They will store liquor puchased off ship. I think you can bring liquor onto ship when checking in. They are very lax at that time. Lots of pizza,pasta, burgers, hot dogs , iced tea, coffee etc available until 8pm (exact time ?) You can graze constantly! Midnight buffets where more like snacks, desserts etc. On 1 or 2 nights they had real food. If you arrive a bit late to the dining room it's OK. The staff becomes unhappy though if you do not leave 7:30ish because they have to set up for the next sitting. Believe me, you won't starve.

The ship arrived home in Fort Lauderdale at 6:30 am but debarkation did not begin until about 8:45 because of immigration/customs clearances. We had an early flight (before 12 noon) ,with a light blue tag and were amongst the first to leave. By the way, if you purchase an airport bus ticket from MSC you automatically get a blue tag.($20/person on bus vs $20/total for cab). You will be 15 minutes from the airport.

For the 11 days pretend that you are Italian (or European) and you will enjoy your cruise...Guaranteed!

Frank

Norbeck Md

Archived